EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Overheating towing in high altitudes

Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
Crazy...The engine temp never went over 204 ever. Until I selected intake temp to monitor after it stumbled/missed a lot after idling and I didnt know why. After selecting it I knew. The truck told me something was not quite right so now I'll just watch it. I'm sure it's built to take it but as a racer I know how important intake temp is especially with a blown engine.
I believe that, but the engine isn't under boost at idle. I've had mine as hot as 239° before under wide open throttle with a trailer in tow, and the engine didn't miss a beat. Held 16 PSI of boost all the way to the top of the hill, and once I got there temps came down fast. The temperature gauge barely moved to the right of center. I'm confident that this is the reason the EB spec's 5w-30 oil rather than the thinner oil spec'd for just about every other Ford made.

One of the trucks in line was a Ford 6.4 diesel and he couldn't wait to have his chance to come back by me and it he felt good about I'm happy for him I guess. I told my wife that's how we looked blown' black smoke over the years when stepped out with 04.
He only did that because he was deleted and tuned; a stock 6.4L engine will never smoke unless something is wrong.

Quick question....Is your tail pipe sooty? Mine's been since new even getting good mileage in town or on the road.....My other gas cars don't show anything, I know engines are tuned on the lean side with the computers but this is my first gas turbo on the street. . . . . . . .thanks
Mine is, but I think that's normal.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I believe that, but the engine isn't under boost at idle. I've had mine as hot as 239° before under wide open throttle with a trailer in tow, and the engine didn't miss a beat. Held 16 PSI of boost all the way to the top of the hill, and once I got there temps came down fast. The temperature gauge barely moved to the right of center. I'm confident that this is the reason the EB spec's 5w-30 oil rather than the thinner oil spec'd for just about every other Ford made.

He only did that because he was deleted and tuned; a stock 6.4L engine will never smoke unless something is wrong.

Mine is, but I think that's normal.
Tom you also forgot to mention that the trailer you were towingup that 18% grade was 15,000lbs!!

My tailpipe is covered too, Everyone i have talked to say there's is the same..

Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sooty tailpipe is a characteristic of direct injection. Direct Injection causes more soot to form because there is less time for the fuel and air to mix (compared to engines that use multi-port injection). Through injection timing they can keep it to a minimum, but it's simply the nature of how direct injection functions.

There is actually talk in the automotive engineering world about how future direct injected gasoline engines will meet tightening emissions and particulate standards. Eventually you may see a gasoline ecoboost with advanced EGR and a particulate filter, just like newer diesels.

Here's an article about it that goes a bit more in-depth:

http://www.swri.org/3pubs/ttoday/Sum...eEmissions.pdf

Edit......Here's a neat little chart from that article:

If you notice, direct injected engines are typically worse than multiport engines or modern diesels when it comes to particulate matter, though not nearly as bad as older diesels.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:56 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanx for that info makes sense....so I can now look forward to a urea (cow urine) tank on my pickup just like the power plant where I work...

Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 AM
basecamp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2013 Eco as well. Mine has the Max tow package. I also live in Boise and have the same problem on the same hill I am sure the first poster is talking about. This hill is a long 5-6% grade. So to climb it we run at full boost for about 6-8 miles. It is a good test of a tow vehicle. I tow over higher and steeper grades with no problem because they have windy roads that causes me to go much slower and to let of the throttle at times. Horseshoe bend hill is just a constant climb at 65.

My theory is that with the turbo's running at full boost and the fact that they are liquid cooled they are heating up the antifreeze that then heats the engine. I just don't think ford has enough cooling capacity to handle the heat created.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Mine does the same thing. Twin turbos + gas engine + F-150 cooling = massive heat buildup. No problem, I just slow down enough to keep it cool, reach the top and hammer down again!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:11 AM
JACKC
Junior User
Kevin, I to have experienced some overheating at elevation (8000-10,000') in Southern Utah. The first time I was just kinda noodling along not paying attention to the grades coming up and it got into the red zone, The next time I went through the same area I gave it the onions and it only slightly started to heat. I have the 3:31's I think but when towing in tow haul that shouldn't matter since those ratios are 'final' drive ratios as I understand it. I am pulling a 30' 5th Wheel at around 8000 lbs. and if I pay attention to my driving I am fine with it. (just a trick if it overheats, try turning the heater on for a minute). I know I'll get flamed for that one. Jack

Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Warrior94
New User
Originally Posted by JACKC
Kevin, I to have experienced some overheating at elevation (8000-10,000') in Southern Utah. The first time I was just kinda noodling along not paying attention to the grades coming up and it got into the red zone, The next time I went through the same area I gave it the onions and it only slightly started to heat. I have the 3:31's I think but when towing in tow haul that shouldn't matter since those ratios are 'final' drive ratios as I understand it. I am pulling a 30' 5th Wheel at around 8000 lbs. and if I pay attention to my driving I am fine with it. (just a trick if it overheats, try turning the heater on for a minute). I know I'll get flamed for that one. Jack

Ok guys newbie here, but do you guys think it is a possibility that since the ecoboost is holding low rpms in most cases while towing that maybe the water pump isn't spinning fast enough to actually pump enough coolant to cool the engine and turbo's effectively? Maybe ^^^^ this is an example since the engine is at a higher rpm due to the trans downshifting the water pump can flow more coolant. Just thinking out loud

Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Warrior94
Ok guys newbie here, but do you guys think it is a possibility that since the ecoboost is holding low rpms in most cases while towing that maybe the water pump isn't spinning fast enough to actually pump enough coolant to cool the engine and turbo's effectively? Maybe ^^^^ this is an example since the engine is at a higher rpm due to the trans downshifting the water pump can flow more coolant. Just thinking out loud
Slowing down and lowering engine RPMs resulted in an immediate drop in engine temperature in my situation.

I still think that the cooling system is inadequate for it's rated towing capacity.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Warrior94
New User
You also lowered the load on the engine by slowing down so yes it would cool down, but under boost while say locked in 6th those turbos are still spinning and creating heat and the engine is making heat but by not being revved up enough to move enough coolant.

Only way to test the theory would be for the person having the issue to pull the hill while locked in 5th or 6th then make another pass say locked to 4th gear with lighter throttle and matched speed but the difference would be is that the engine is spooled up spinning the water pump faster.

Pardon my pestering lol Im not a mechanic by any means I just enjoy some problem solving.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
I also have to wonder if the fabric liner under the truck prevents some heat from escaping .

Likewise, the electric fans are spinning at the same speed whether idling or cruising at hwy speeds, it should be moving enough air to cool itself.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
basecamp
Senior User
I have tried everything to get it not to overheat. If I lock it in 4th and let the engine rev it still overheats. The only thing that works is to slow down and not pull so hard.

I noticed this when my brother drove my truck and he is not as aggressive on the hills as I am. When he drove he kept it slower and took it easy with the same load on the same hill I pulled the day before and it stayed cool. I just don't think Ford has enough cooling capacity to manage these specific conditions.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 AM
basecamp
Senior User
I am really tempted to temporarily mount a second radiator somewhere and see how it would do. If that solved it then it would be a no brainer as to what the cause is.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:28 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
No problem, I understand what you're getting at. However, (at least in my situation) the trans isn't locked into a higher gear. Can't remember precisely, but I would guess that RPMs were around 4,000 in 3rd gear before backing out of it.