460 Seized and will not rotate by hand

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 AM
swall
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 Seized and will not rotate by hand

Let me give a brief history of what problem I have on my hands, four years ago I purchased a 1975 F150 from a kid that turned the truck into a rat rod and had to part with it because of too many tickets for speeding.

I pulled the 460 out and did a complete tear down of the motor for a line hone, boring .040” over, tanked, the works. I even rebuilt the heads and checked for valve clearance and no problems there. I reassembled the motor with no problem with it rotating when dialing in the cam. I put the motor back into the truck with a brand new flywhee and it rotated just finel.

The transmission was rebuilt professionally, I even put in a new torque converter after pouring about a quart of fluid into it. Seated the TQ to the transmission fully after feeling both spline’s being seated. I then bolted the transmission to the motor and engaged the tq to the flywheel, as I was rotating the motor from the damper I noticed that it was getting more difficult to rotate the engine to tighten the bolts. After I tighten the last nut on the tq converter the engine spun about a Ľ turn and has locked up.

I do not want to force further as I may cause some damage somewhere along the driveline but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and what could I do to fix this problem just short of having to drop the tranny again as I am working in a gravel driveway making it very difficult to maneuver the transmission.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:19 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
are any of the torque convertor studs sticking out to far?

try backing the motor off and see if you can turn it.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 AM
swall
Junior User
Yesterday I checked for that and there was no contact there so I backed off the bolts securing the transmission to the eng, it was able to rotate but with resistance. I unbolted the trany completly and the TQ converter by backing it off by a foot to rotate the converter. I tried to totate the converter and it was very stiff telling me something is not right.

I dropped the tranny completly and had a very hard time pulling the converter from the shaft assy. Once the converter was off I inspected the snought and it was slightly deformed as it appears that when I seated it, the snout did not seat fully onto the pump assy and is now deformed.

Now I am waiting for the new converter to come in and to reinstall everything all over again. It was getting dark so now today when I get off of work I will try and see if there is any damage to the pump.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You need to pull the front pump out of the transmission, the pump gear is probably broken (ask how I know). You will at least need to inspect the pump gears and the torque converter bushing.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:41 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
You absolutely NEED to pull the transmission front pump. I literally just did this in the past month like you where I didn't get the converter seated properly. Bent the snout on the converter, and one of the front pump gears was broken into 3 pieces. A bushing was also badly marked up.

Be careful pulling the front pump. You don't want to pull out anything behind it. You can tighten the band adjustment on the drivers side of the C6 until it's snug, and I mean just a bit "snug" not too tight. That will help everything stay in place behind the pump. I did this with the transmission in the truck with the engine back out of it, and it went fine.

Had the pump rebuilt with new bushings, seals, and gears for about $60 locally.