Torklift StableLoad Install and Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Torklift StableLoad Install and Review

Hey everyone,

I was given the good fortune of trying out a new product from Torklift International. It's a product called StableLoad, and it's purpose is to increase the stability and capacity of the stock rear springs on our trucks. It comprises a set of four devices that bolt onto the lower overload spring; they function by rotating a wedge in between that and the main pack which engages the overload immediately rather than once the suspension has sagged significantly.

Here's what's in the box after you remove the hardware:

It's a simple design made from plate steel and commonly available hardware. The included directions are awful, so it took me a good 45 minutes to figure out the best way to put these together and put them on, here is the most useful piece of information in the installation guide:

First of all jack the truck about 4-5" from the frame. This is done to provide the required clearance to bolt them on.

This provides the necessary clearance above the overload to install the StableLoads:

After that you remove the rubber pads that are on the ends of the overload spring. You can push them up with a screwdriver and then pull them out:

Once that's done it's time to put them together. First of all, unbolt the wedge packs and remove the top plate. There isn't enough clearance for them to fit with all three, and leaving it in would make it difficult for them to engage. Then take the large 1/2" bolt and insert it the opposite direction through the leaf. There's only one hole that this will fit in, so you can't screw this up. Stack six (6!) spacing washers on the other end of this, this is what it should look like:

Take the bottom plate and pass the big 1/2" bolt through the only hole big enough and install the nut. Remember that this is a pivot point and the lock nut has to be installed as tight as possible without providing too much resistance. Once this is done, install the smaller 1/4" bolt and lock nut on the hole furthest from the wedge pack. It will look like this when assembled:

Now you're ready to install this on the spring back. Take the 3/8" gold-colored low-profile bolt and pass it through the hole in the overload spring.

Slide a plastic bushing on the bolt, then the plate assembly, lock washer, and 3/8" nut. Torque to 35 ft-lbs, the end result should look like this:

Repeat three more times; remember that the StableLoads on the front and rear of the spring will rotate opposite directions, so the wedge packs won't all be facing the same way when you assemble them.

To engage you simply use a 3/8" ratchet and extension to rotate the wedge pack between the overload and main spring pack. You insert the pin and clip to secure the wedge in the engaged or disengaged position.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Review

This product is advertised to reduce sway, body roll, and to increase the ability of the springs to handle a heavy load. To do this it engages the overload spring at the original ride height rather than after the suspension has already sagged several inches; the advantage here is that you gain more than just the load support that is accomplished with products like airbags. This overload leaf actively fights axle wrap and lateral flex.

Myself and a few others got to give this a try at the Millersburg meet we had last week. My truck was hitched up to a 15,000 lb trailer and was driven through the hills of Holmes County with four adults in the cab. Total measured GCW was 21,480 lbs, and the rear axle had 4,540 lbs. The majority of the time was spent driving with the StableLoads engaged, and none of us had any issues with the way the truck handled. Trailer sway was negligible and the suspension didn't feel negatively affected by all the weight we were carrying around. Here's how the truck sat:

We then jacked the trailer up and disengaged the StableLoads for a quick trip to see how differently the truck performed. The truck sat a measured 1/2" lower in the back, and both Senix and myself noticed the suspension porpoised more. In addition the back of the truck would shimmy sideways a bit more. We both felt that the StableLoad made a meaningful improvement on how the truck handled the load.

This doesn't come without some downsides. The first thing is that these can't be engaged after the load is put on the suspension; there isn't enough clearance for the wedge pack to be driven between the leafs. Another thing I've noticed is that they do rattle a bit when disengaged and going over bumps. I could tighten the bolt down some to reduce this, but it would provide more resistance when engaging and disengaging and I'm going to leave them as they are for the time being. In summary, these make a solid improvement in the handling attributes of a loaded truck. I like the simplicity and effectiveness of this kit, and would recommend them to anyone who tows anything heavier than a few thousand pounds.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice write up Tom! They look like they are going to be very useful for heavier loads.
(Now change that signature pic!)

Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Longbed Lightning
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how well these work with load leveling bars. This is definitely a quick, easy fix to the pathetic leaf springs Ford put on the "Max Tow Package" trucks. I'm waiting to hear back from Torklift to order my set.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Longbed Lightning
I wonder how well these work with load leveling bars. This is definitely a quick, easy fix to the pathetic leaf springs Ford put on the "Max Tow Package" trucks. I'm waiting to hear back from Torklift to order my set.
The pics you see above are with a WD hitch installed, but I wouldn't call my springs pathetic. That load had me over 4,600 lbs on the rear axle, and without the StableLoads it rode about 1/2" lower but handled noticeably worse. I don't think I've ever hit my jounce bumpers even being ~500 lbs over max GAWR.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Longbed Lightning
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand it helps in ways other than just reducing rear squat but 1/2" is not that much.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Not trying to start and argument here but my '88 had a four pack IIRC, that got me only 1400 lbs of payload whereas my '11 has a 3 pack that gets me 1620 lbs of payload and I have the 7200 lb package without max tow.

Upon delivery I couldn't help but think how cheap Ford has gotten over the years by only mounting 3 springs. This spring I had a 2000 lb payload in my truck plus myself while expanding my raised bed garden. The truck was sagging and as it should but she felt better than my '88 did with less of a load.

I think Tom put this product to it's test, it helped the truck which was extremely capable from the showroom floor.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:44 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mentioned the truck "shimmied" some, could that be remedied by replacing the crappy P-metric GY SR-A tires? Mine went as soon as I could afford the Nitto Terra Grappler E-rated tires I have now, around 3500 miles. Nice write-up, but I already did the air bags on mine.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
I don't think so; nobody felt a shimmy of any kind with the StableLoads installed. If it was the tires a suspension upgrade wouldn't help.

This is the second time I've towed above GCWR and I have no issues with the stock tires. Of course I don't plan on towing that heavy often.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Just a quick update, I'm still very happy with the StableLoads. I hauled my bike up to New Hampshire for the long weekend, and with ~550 lbs in the bed there was no noticeable squat:

I also had a 3,500 lb boat in tow, but I forgot to get a pic after I hooked up. The result was nearly the same, no noticeable squat, and the ride was great. I'm gonna keep this thread updated with pics as I pile stuff into and behind the truck.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
She looks great without the running boards Tom, probably a PITA to get into though.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tseekins
She looks great without the running boards Tom, probably a PITA to get into though.
Surprisingly enough I prefer it like that; they are only a couple inches lower than the cab, and it's a much more direct step in without their width. My wife doesn't like it though, so I'm keeping my eyes out for some brackets on craiglist.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom...I've been busy for a bit and just catching up on this thread. But thanks. Great write-up and interesting product.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow I have seen this before and wanted to see some real world testing! looks like a good product ill have to remember just where I saw them lol.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
The company is running a special for FTE members. Details are here,,,, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ableloads.html

Quick Reply: Torklift StableLoad Install and Review