1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Can't turn key back after gets to point where electrical turns on

Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 PM
LiNkZoR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't turn key back after gets to point where electrical turns on

Alright, so I got this 1986 F250 XLT automatic transmission, gas fuel from our neighbors. Hasn't had a problem with getting the key out, except for maybe once but it came out my second try. So, when i turn the key forward, you get to the point where the electrical in the truck starts, and if you go any further the engine starts (There is probably a lot more complex things that go on that I don't know about, but i'm a novice at these types of things and don't know much about the names. I couldn't find out how to turn the brights off, since all I've ever drove before this was my parents newer cars that didn't have the floor button. But, i found out what that silver thing did on the floor, and how to set presets on the radio that day.)

So, once it gets to that point, the key will NOT turn back, and if the engine is started it won't stop the engine, if it is anything else other than reverse. Won't turn backwards in park, neutral, drive, second or first. Only reverse. So, to stop the engine, I have to put it into reverse, turn the key far enough for the engine to stop, then put it in park to get it the rest of the way out. I would also like to point out that it seems to idle at a fairly high RPM, but it has since the day we first started it.

So... Could anyone be able to enlighten me on why I can't turn the key backwards in anything other than reverse?
Thanks

Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Just some thoughts, but no answers. Does it help if you turn the wheel slightly as you turn the key back? Do you have a tilt steering wheel? And is it really right in Reverse or is it biased toward Park?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Yes, part of that key tumbler mechanism is known to break on columns with tilt wheels. Search through this forum and you'll find plenty of hits, some with aftermarket replacement part numbers and pictures and whatnot.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM
LiNkZoR
New User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Just some thoughts, but no answers. Does it help if you turn the wheel slightly as you turn the key back? Do you have a tilt steering wheel? And is it really right in Reverse or is it biased toward Park?
As far as i can tell, it is not a tilt steering wheel. Turning the wheel makes no difference, still won't move backwards with it tilted. It is dead on in reverse, if i were to take my foot off the brake it would reverse. Below, is the position where it has to be or it will not come out, i've tried all other gears. They key I am using is a copy, however it does not work either with the original that I have.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
There are sort of 2 adjustments involved in the mechanism, and it is possible that yours is out on two at once. First, there is an adjustment between the lever's position and the transmission's position. It is a bolt/nut combo on the linkage below the column under the truck. I adjust them so the column is in Park when the tranny is in park - but set the park brake before adjusting it! Since the shift lever's position determines whether the key comes out or not regardless of what gear the tranny is in maybe that is the problem.

The second is with the pointer itself. Take off the black plastic collar around the column by removing one screw in it and you will see a screw holding the outside sheath of the wire that moves the pointer. Loosen the screw to get the pointer to indicate the proper position.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
I see wood grain on his picture. My bet, it's a tilt wheel.

The tilt is the turn signal. Gently pull it toward the steering wheel, and see if the column tilts