1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Millersburg Meet results with HD video!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Exiting off that concrete driveway onto gravel, which is a sharp to the left turn, physics took over. The trailer would have enough push and leverage to send him to the ditch once the rear tires hit loose gravel. Right hand is the only safe way to exit. Nice save by Tom though.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Exactly what we noticed on Tom's truck too, and the A/C blower motor would increase and decrease and weird intervals. Couldn't make out why it was doing it because we were watching the temps and load on the motor when it would occur and wasnt consistent. Just something I found intriguing...
That is Weird - because my 2013 F350 does some wierd A/C blower stuff... Of course I have never had the fancy automatic climate control before. I just notice that it is on Auto and I drive a short time then - all of a sudden the blower comes on full blast even though the climate had been set to low the whole time..

Not sure if it is the same as Tom's 150 - just saying mine acts a little weird..

Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Byram
Not sure if it is the same as Tom's 150 - just saying mine acts a little weird..
I don't think so Byram, mine has the manual HVAC. My EATC in my Fusion was a bit strange sometimes though, so I know what you're talking about. Mine was cranked up all the way with the temp set at cold and fan at the highest level. Sometimes for no real reason the fan speed would kick down a couple of notches for about 10-15 seconds and then come back up to full power. The A/C compressor never kicked off, and it never got uncomfortable in the cab. We just found it strange.

It hasn't done it since, but I also haven't had the blower on high for that long either. You Texans may disagree, but it was HOT out!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Crazy001
I don't think so Byram, mine has the manual HVAC. My EATC in my Fusion was a bit strange sometimes though, so I know what you're talking about. Mine was cranked up all the way with the temp set at cold and fan at the highest level. Sometimes for no real reason the fan speed would kick down a couple of notches for about 10-15 seconds and then come back up to full power. The A/C compressor never kicked off, and it never got uncomfortable in the cab. We just found it strange.

It hasn't done it since, but I also haven't had the blower on high for that long either. You Texans may disagree, but it was HOT out!
Hot is a relative term - Last week we were working in west Texas - 98°-107° - dry heat but hot - But hauling a dead trophy for hunter out of a canyon - uphill at 4:30-5:00 PM in that heat was reallllly hot!! - Had one guy almost pass out - the rest were pretty trashed...

Hi-Jack over..... Sorry

Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 AM
gandrimp
Junior User
I have really enjoyed reading about the event and thanks for posting.

I have a question/comment directed to bthr22 and those involved in the event,,, watching that v10 was painful, not downing your truck or your ability,,,, that stated, with the brake/trailer problems experienced, could this have been the problem with this truck in particular?
Could this truck have been wired wrong for this trailer. I'm asking this due to the fact I have always been a gm guy (Im changing that). In all of gm's wisdom, between 04 and 05 the jacklegs decided to change the wiring in the trailer plug. It was all due to the center pin for one year being for brakes and the other year it was for aux. power. Imagine my dislike after flat spotting 4 new tires. Curt # 57726 and # 57661 would be an example.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Nope, there was nothing wrong with the wiring. The trailer brakes worked just fine, if they had been locked up none of the trucks could have even moved the trailer. We've pulled this hill numerous times with 2v V10s, and that's exactly how I expected it to go with his 3.73 gears.

Remember that this truck was pulling a brutal hill with more than 50% more weight than it was ever rated for.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by gandrimp
I have really enjoyed reading about the event and thanks for posting.

I have a question/comment directed to bthr22 and those involved in the event,,, watching that v10 was painful, not downing your truck or your ability,,,, that stated, with the brake/trailer problems experienced, could this have been the problem with this truck in particular?
Could this truck have been wired wrong for this trailer. I'm asking this due to the fact I have always been a gm guy (Im changing that). In all of gm's wisdom, between 04 and 05 the jacklegs decided to change the wiring in the trailer plug. It was all due to the center pin for one year being for brakes and the other year it was for aux. power. Imagine my dislike after flat spotting 4 new tires. Curt # 57726 and # 57661 would be an example.
This truck was wired properly. He did not have any issues. None of the trucks had improper wiring. One truck had a broken cap which is designed to help hold the plug in place.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Exiting off that concrete driveway onto gravel, which is a sharp to the left turn, physics took over. The trailer would have enough push and leverage to send him to the ditch once the rear tires hit loose gravel. Right hand is the only safe way to exit. Nice save by Tom though.
This. That's basically what I saw watching from my side view mirror. I guess I am use to this type of stuff living around here so I didn't think much about it. I've gotten bucked around once while towing a trailer on that left hand turn so I swing pretty wide where it's a bit flatter. Never as bad as Tom did though. Might be one advantage of having and extra 1k+ pounds.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM
bthr22
Senior User
Originally Posted by gandrimp
I wasn't really worried about how the truck was performing. I had Tom(Crazy001) and Scott(Senix) in the truck with me talking me through the pull, and they weren't concerned with how it was running. Later, they were concerned with not knowing how hot the transmission got, and a couple other things. But I borrowed Tom's brake controller, which is much better and safer than mine. If we had continued to use mine, I would have been a lot more nervous from what Tom was telling me about it. We also tested the brake controllers before we left Mike's place for the run, so we knew they were working properly.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Yup, yours is a time delay controller. Which means you set a predetermined level of trailer braking and that's all it will do. Every time your brake lights are active it will fade in up to the predetermined level and hold it no matter how hard or lightly you are braking.

They suck, plain and simple.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ryan which trailer brake controller do you have we have one I am just wondering if it the same thing. I also have the same one in my 88 F150 and got one that is going in our 89 F250. I think it is a techonash or something like that.
Trav

Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM
bthr22
Senior User
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
ryan which trailer brake controller do you have we have one I am just wondering if it the same thing. I also have the same one in my 88 F150 and got one that is going in our 89 F250. I think it is a techonash or something like that.
Trav
Mine is made by Curt Mfg. it is the Captivator 3. Tom offered to sell me his that I used on the run. Correct me if I'm wrong Tom, but I believe it is by Tekonsha Engineering - 90885 Prodigy controller.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one Tom has is the one I have in our 02, in my 88, and going into our 89 F250. I am still wondering if my 88 F150s even works I need to get her running still. The curt we had in our 93 F250 we use to have and it didn't work very good when towing our flatbed trailer.
Trav

Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bthr22
Mine is made by Curt Mfg. it is the Captivator 3. Tom offered to sell me his that I used on the run. Correct me if I'm wrong Tom, but I believe it is by Tekonsha Engineering - 90885 Prodigy controller.
Yup, that's the one! It'll be in the mail tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:54 PM
bthr22
Senior User
Thanks Tom!

Trav, from the way Tom was describing the Curt's braking method, it seems like it wouldn't make for smooth braking. Plus the fact that, according to Tom, that style of controller made braking more dangerous and a higher risk of jackknifing.

Quick Reply: 2013 Millersburg Meet results with HD video!