1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

WOOD FLATBED BUILD - 3D MODEL AND CONSTRUCTION PLANS

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Gary,
The bumper attaches to the frame.
Ray is showing its final relationship to the wood flatbed he modeled .

Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Looks great! How are you attaching it to the bed?
The bumper is already attached to the frame rails via the stock brackets. It hasn't changed from factory. I simply brought the bed down with the notches enough to just get the edge of the last cross member below the top edge of the bumper. I wanted to keep the bumper where it was at because I need to keep this low budget.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Ray,

Good to see you here.
You might try raising the sides a little bit in relation to the crossmembers to give you a 3/4-1" lip.
And
Doubling the front crossmember with a larger dimension lumber (2x12?) to provide a stop, so things won't be pitched forward into the rear wall of the cab.
The latter might necessitate shortening your deck by 1 1/2", depending on how tight it is right now.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Ray,

Good to see you here.
You might try raising the sides a little bit in relation to the crossmembers to give you a 3/4-1" lip.
And
Doubling the front crossmember with a larger dimension lumber (2x12?) to provide a stop, so things won't be pitched forward into the rear wall of the cab.
The latter might necessitate shortening your deck by 1 1/2", depending on how tight it is right now.
Jim, a second cross member up next to the cab might be overkill. But I agree. It needs some cab protection. I'm thinking either add a diamond plate backboard to the headache rack, or simply add another steel cross member to it. The dimensions shown in the latest pictures for the headache rack are not final. I haven't measured what they should be yet. However this should be close. The flatbar is obviously there so I can see through to the back, and the cross member(s) will be there for sliding objects. The headache rack must go through the decking and attach to the 2 x 12 and front 2 x 10 cross members.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Actually, I was asking how the whole bed will be attached to the frame.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:12 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I'm a carpenter.
I know if I shove/throw plywood or sheetrock onto a flatbed like yours it would crash into the cab.
Also hitting a bump while on the brakes.

Diamond plate is a good solution, but I thought you mentioned it was too expensive.
I understand where you are coming from.

EDIT: I see now that your sides are raised.
All I have is a little netbook and a pair of old eyes.
Sorry if I was not paying close enough attention.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Gary, see those notches on the bottom of the cross members? They site directly on the frame. Now I will be using angle iron or square tubing (whichever I find cheapest) to bolt it to the frame. So the tube or angle iron will rest on the flat side of the frame, then rest on the flat side of the cross member. Four bolts each, and 6-8 brackets ought to do the trick.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Jim, the sides stick up about 3/4" I believe. The diamond plate is like you said, expensive, and probably out of the equation. As I build this thing, I will do it in stages. The flat bed frame first, then the deck boards. Once that is complete I will focus on building the headache rack. If I can find some old diamond plate cheap I might purchase it. If not I will do with a couple cross members across the headache rack legs. I don't plan to do any crazy hauling for at least 3 months. I will move to Kentucky with it loaded and hauling a trailer. I wont have any furniture or stuff that can slide through the bars because we are selling most of what we own other than tools, kitchenware and clothes. Most everything else goes. We are really starting over in Kentucky.

Anyways, sorry for the brain tangent. If you have anymore ideas keep them coming.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Well, I'm subscribed and very interested in how your build plays out.

I'd also like to wish you a safe trip and a great start to your new life in Kentucky.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150
Gary, see those notches on the bottom of the cross members? They site directly on the frame. Now I will be using angle iron or square tubing (whichever I find cheapest) to bolt it to the frame. So the tube or angle iron will rest on the flat side of the frame, then rest on the flat side of the cross member. Four bolts each, and 6-8 brackets ought to do the trick.
Makes sense. Tnx.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Well, I'm subscribed and very interested in how your build plays out.

I'd also like to wish you a safe trip and a great start to your new life in Kentucky.
Thanks. It's actually not a "new" life. We are moving back to my hometown. We are financially just spinning our wheels here in Tulsa. Getting deeper in debt with every emergency room visit or baby we have.

My folks have a 4,000 square foot home. My little sister just got married off and they have offered their 1600 square foot, three bedroom two full bath upstairs area to us for the next 2-3 years!! Can't pass this up. We are going to use this opportunity to get out of school loan debt and medical debt.

Once we've accomplished that, we are buying the land (or will be buying it as we pay off loans and med bills) anddoing what they call "Permaculture". Its a "permanent" form of "agriculture". Basically you set up your property to produce food for your family, and have surplus to sell and barter with. Its not agriculture. You "design" an ecosystem on your property to self fertilize, and work together with the other plants, animals, and insects. The more diverse your ecosystem the healthier it becomes.

To learn more about it visit Absolute in Abundance. You can submit your email address on the home page and you get access to a series of videos that explain in great detail what "permaculture" is.

What it NOT: A cult, a hippie commune, or any type of religious affiliation.

What it IS: A way to become a self sufficient family that restores the eco-system and provides security for your family when Wal-Mart prices keep climbing, you just go pick a fruit or nut or veggie out of the garden for free. Your ecosystem is self seeding, perennial and diverse.

We plan to build a small log home with a basement. My folks are selling their large home, and moving in with us and building a smaller home on the same property. When my folks are old and need help getting around I will be there for them. I love my folks very much and cannot wait to be back home laughing with them and raising our kids with them.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM
whisler
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Ray: where are you moving to in KY. I live in Northern KY (Campbell County) and we have a few examples of permaculture "farms" in this area. I toured one of them during our Campbell County farm tours event and found it very interesting.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by whisler
Ray: where are you moving to in KY. I live in Northern KY (Campbell County) and we have a few examples of permaculture "farms" in this area. I toured one of them during our Campbell County farm tours event and found it very interesting.
I am from Mt. Washington. Right South of Louisville about 25-30 minutes from downtown. I have heard of Salamander Springs Permaculture farm in Berea KY which ought to be just South of you a little ways. And there is one other one really close to you I have seen on some YouTube videos, but have lost touch with what they are doing.

I cannot wait to get the KY Chapter involved in truck projects when I get back. I plan to try to be a Chapter leader like Gary, our Local leader here.

When I get back I'll give ya a hollar.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
SOME UPDATES

Name:  flatbed19.jpg
Views: 3245
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  flatbed20.jpg
Views: 3238
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  flatbed21.jpg
Views: 3361
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  flatbed22.jpg
Views: 4428
Size:  75.0 KB

Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...

Subscribed. I've also thinking about a flatbed for my truck too.

Quick Reply: WOOD FLATBED BUILD - 3D MODEL AND CONSTRUCTION PLANS