Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 star or 4.56

Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, I've been in your shoes and have made the same improvement's your discussing. To start with, my truck is/was an 03' V10 with the 4R100 and runs on 285/75/R16 rubber and 3.73s gears. I tow regularly with but as I kept buying larger campers and boats I found my truck struggling. With that in mind I'm grossing 20k-22k lbs between the truck, camper, and boat, and tow through rolling hills and often times stiff wind. If the wind was calm it wasn't bad but if I had any headwind it was a fight! I started with the 5 star tune and had mike tool up an 87 octane performance tune, and an 89 and 91 octane towing tunes. I ran it this way for about a year. It was definitely better however I still found my truck struggling with this load. What I noticed is if I drove 70mph it pulled far better than at 60mph. Unfortunately I am not comfortable rolling down a 2 lane highway with 75 ft and 22k lbs of truck and trailer at 70 mph. It was quite apparent the gears were what I needed. I took my truck in and had the trans freshened with a heavy duty torque converter and the gears switched to 4.56s. The difference is significant. I may have to put my foot into it a bit but I can always run 60-65 regardless of wind and it holds 3rd gear solidly. I can tow in 4th with just the camper (10k lb ish) if it's not windy.

So far my empty hwy mileage at 68 mph is still around 14mpg so it appears that hasn't dropped off much. One thing I have noticed is if I have my foot into it and it feels like a heavy pull due to wind or hills, I find myself passing a lot of other trucks pulling smaller loads. I would recommend both as the tuner really helps the transmission and the added power certainly doesn't hurt. With that said, I have recently upgraded campers to a 39 foot Cedar Creek which will gross around 13k lbs +-. I believe I'm now done when it comes to double towing! I haven't pulled the new camper yet but we'll soon see. It should be fine as the old rig with the camper and boat together should equal a similar weight.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FYI, I also have an upgraded Y-pipe.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gfl View Post
..................I'm happy with my upgrades, but I can see some might not think the improvement is worth the money spent to get it.

All this said, my new theory on gears is: go 4:56 if you don't spend much time on the freeway, and more time on 65mph or less roads, you'll be able to use all 4 gears more and keep the revs where they need to be, otherwise do 4:30s.

295s with 4:56 wont be much lower than stock with 4:30s, and if you're doing it, you wont want less than 4:30s with your trailer weight......
I agree whole heartedly! One thing I look at is you seem to be struggling a bit with only 6,500lbs in tow. I think the lightest camper of the 4 I have owned was 6500lbs and even with the 3.73s and towing a boat behind I found it to be pretty decent. It really wasn't until I stepped up to a 10k lb fifth wheel and 3,500 lb boat before I really noticed it struggling. Even then, with just the camper in tow I never thought it was that bad. Just food for thought.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Towed the camper home after the 4th from it's seasonal site so I can switch it out with a new one next weekend. Had basically no wind and just a very loaded camper in tow. Tuck pulled great, I am very impressed with my current combination. I pulled half the trip in OD even with a few rolling hills, the tougher areas where the hills were a bit bigger constituted a downshift to 3rd (D) where I was able to accelerate up the hills. 65 mph is 3,200 rpm and you have plenty of power on tap. I'm willing to bet I could drag a 6,500 lb travel trailer with a lower frontage all with way back with hardly a downshift out of OD, rolling hills or not! Just food for thought.

Bought a 39' Cedar Creek which tips the scales at about 13,500lbs, we'll see how it does with this hooked up tonight. I'm guessing no more OD!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:08 PM
the cleaner
Senior User
the cleaner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I already have the 4:30 gears but I went to 35's on tires. Will a 5 star make a noticeable difference? I tow alot so I need a tow tune only

Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
What are you towing? I'm running 285/75/16s which are basically 33" with the 4.56s and 5 Star and I don't think I would want any deeper gears unless it was a 100% dedicated tow rig and I was pulling some serious weight. Your tires are about 10.5% larger than standard 265s/75/16s (just a basis for comparison) and on top of that the tires are likely heavier. You'd likely need 4.88s to get close to where your truck was when it was stock with 4.30s.

On the flip side, I pulled our new camper down to the lake yesterday and have a hard time believing people are struggling to pull a 6,500 lbs camper. I guess one persons definition of towing well and another's are two different opinions. I towing more than twice the weight with a much larger fontal area only dropped below 65 mph on two hills that are +- a mile long and @ about a 6-7% grade. I still crested the top at more than 60mph and didn't have to hammer it down to 2nd gear. With that said, outside of a 15 mph side wind, I wasn't fighting any adverse weather conditions.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 PM
the cleaner
Senior User
the cleaner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
What are you towing? I'm running 285/75/16s which are basically 33" with the 4.56s and 5 Star and I don't think I would want any deeper gears unless it was a 100% dedicated tow rig and I was pulling some serious weight. Your tires are about 10.5% larger than standard 265s/75/16s (just a basis for comparison) and on top of that the tires are likely heavier. You'd likely need 4.88s to get close to where your truck was when it was stock with 4.30s.

On the flip side, I pulled our new camper down to the lake yesterday and have a hard time believing people are struggling to pull a 6,500 lbs camper. I guess one persons definition of towing well and another's are two different opinions. I towing more than twice the weight with a much larger fontal area only dropped below 65 mph on two hills that are +- a mile long and @ about a 6-7% grade. I still crested the top at more than 60mph and didn't have to hammer it down to 2nd gear. With that said, outside of a 15 mph side wind, I wasn't fighting any adverse weather conditions.
I am towing a tandem axle open trailer with 9/10,000 lbs It pulls fine but was looking for a little more and better shift points?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 PM
OneHigh4x4
New User
OneHigh4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My previous tow vehicle was a built 05 cummins with the 6 speed. It was a towing beast. I don't expect the v10 to have the low end of the cummins. A 6500# trailer behind that was nothing. I just want as much out of my v10 as possible, even though it probably will never be comparable with my 05 dodge.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OneHigh4x4 View Post
My previous tow vehicle was a built 05 cummins with the 6 speed. It was a towing beast. I don't expect the v10 to have the low end of the cummins. A 6500# trailer behind that was nothing. I just want as much out of my v10 as possible, even though it probably will never be comparable with my 05 dodge.
Sounds like your due for a set of 4.56s, some long tube headers & exhaust, a cold air intake, a whipple super charger, and a day or two dyno tuning!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM
OneHigh4x4
New User
OneHigh4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=SLE;13344278]Sounds like your due for a set of 4.56s, some long tube headers & exhaust, a cold air intake, a whipple super charger, and a day or two dyno tuning![/QUOTE
Your right but I have limited funds and I have one of those wife deals that limits my "play" money. Just want the best deal for my dollar for putting torque to the ground.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
If you can swing it, get the gears!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Definitely the gears first. Your tranny (temps) will thank you.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
jakgod3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you're gonna change gears I would go with 4.10's, 4.30's if you tow a lot. Personally I would not like running such high RPM's at high speeds because I like to go around 80 on the freeway. They would help my cause for towing, but not for commuting. One thing I have noticed is my F250 v10 pulls a heavy load WAY better than my Excursion v10 for some reason. Both have 3.73LS.. If you were doing a gear swap I would go 4.10's or even 4.30's and go talk to Mike at 5 Star for tuning. I couldn't imagine how much 4.56 gears would hurt your mpg. Lol

-Jared

Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Not as bad as one might think, well maybe at 80 on the freeway however I can't say mine has had to do that duty, that's what the wifes enclave or the Ecoboost is for! emty mpg @ 65-70 is right at 14 with the 4.56s which is almost the same as the old 3.73s.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
wyo2track
Freshman User
wyo2track is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by OneHigh4x4 View Post
To All-great thread! I've been looking at the used truck market to possibly replace my 2001 cummins. Have been lookin' more at the 6.2L market and I've come across a 2010 6.8L SD CC XLT with less than 10,000 miles. Has a 4:10 limited slip and is Ford Certified, great looking stock truck and sure is alot cheaper than the new ones. Don't think there's much difference between the 2010 to 2011 XLT packages, but that would be a different topic. Now, I have no knowledge of what I may be getting myself into with the 6.8L, except that it could consume some fuel, but not much more than whatthe 6.2L are showing. From threads I've read on this forum it doesn't sound much different than a 6.2L with the 4:30s. Are the deep gears (4:30, 4:56..) that important for the 6.8L V-10, say, if I'm pulling under 10K lbs? My biggest enemy here in Wyoming is the wind which adds so much more resistance on a load. Thanks for any comments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 star or 4.56

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.