1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My "new" 1997 F-350 CC Dually! Whoot!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
What the?! Dang I am smurt....well, if I was really smart it would not have taken 2 posts to say it!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Been doing so much reading with these links. My head is spinning!! On the docket is gauge install and fuel heater delete. Now to just find time to do it!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Been doing so much reading with these links. My head is spinning!! On the docket is gauge install and fuel heater delete. Now to just find time to do it!
Get on it!!!! Definitely get the simple and quick things done asap. The 6637 air filter, delete the fuel heater, and do an FPR shim.. Don't worry about the gauges until your getting ready to put a chip on it. You at least want gauges before a chip gets installed.

For the fuel heater delete, I used to always pull the plate out completely so all that was left in the bowl was the stand pipe. You will have to unscrew the stand pipe, which will require an extension and a crows foot. IIRC the standpipe was reverse thread, but someone who has done it recently needs to correct me on that. I haven't gone through a fuel bowl in about 5 years. LOL Anyways, pull the standpipe, pull the heater/plate, put the stand pipe back in, fuel filter back in... Done... 10 minute job if the stand pipe comes out ok. While your in there you can really clean out the bowl too.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
The 6637 air filter, delete the fuel heater, and do an FPR shim..
Travis, am I recalling correctly that the FPR shimming isnt necessary/wanted on a California model truck?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Get on it!!!! Definitely get the simple and quick things done asap. The 6637 air filter, delete the fuel heater, and do an FPR shim.. Don't worry about the gauges until your getting ready to put a chip on it. You at least want gauges before a chip gets installed.

For the fuel heater delete, I used to always pull the plate out completely so all that was left in the bowl was the stand pipe. You will have to unscrew the stand pipe, which will require an extension and a crows foot. IIRC the standpipe was reverse thread, but someone who has done it recently needs to correct me on that. I haven't gone through a fuel bowl in about 5 years. LOL Anyways, pull the standpipe, pull the heater/plate, put the stand pipe back in, fuel filter back in... Done... 10 minute job if the stand pipe comes out ok. While your in there you can really clean out the bowl too.
You are correct. The stand pipe is left hand thread.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Oh yeah, definitely the 6637 Air Filter. I forgot about that one. That will actually take precedence over all else. So, no gauges needed with stock truck pulling 10,200 lbs? I won't romp on it, but I won't baby it either.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Oh yeah, definitely the 6637 Air Filter. I forgot about that one. That will actually take precedence over all else. So, no gauges needed with stock truck pulling 10,200 lbs? I won't romp on it, but I won't baby it either.
Not really needed, but they are still nice to have... Particularly for the trans temp gauge for you auto guys. I have gotten a stock truck with just a 6637 and 4" exhaust to 1100* EGTs before, so it would be nice to see EGTs, but in my mind, not needed when you haven't changed the fueling characteristics of it..

Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ReBilld
You are correct. The stand pipe is left hand thread.
Yes and 7/8" crow foot wrech.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Ok, been searching for the single mass flywheel for the E4OD. I can only find it for the manual tranny. Is there someone that can direct me to the best place to pick one up. I believe my dual mass is on the way out. I guess it actually called the "flexplate" for the autos?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
There's no such thing as a dual mass for the auto. It's just a flexplate. What seems to be your problem?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
There's no such thing as a dual mass for the auto. It's just a flexplate. What seems to be your problem?
Hmmm, that is disconcerting. It seems to vibrate more at idle than it should. Once I get going, it is smooth as silk. It does not always do it and when I start it, it's smooth. It seems once it warms up, it starts the vibration. I was hoping to ignore it, (not really) but then I read somewhere on the other forum that the dual mass goes out. It did on my last '97, but it was a 5-speed, so that makes sense. The vibe definitely feels like the transmission is amiss. It shifts well under power and seems to have normal operation other than that. of course i am broke as a joke until late August

So, any ideas? Hopefully not a $3,000 idea

Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BB does the vibration seem to change based upon speed or does it do it sitting still as well? Do you feel it regardless of RPM? Do you feel the vibration in all gears (P, R, N, D)?

If you think it may be the flexplate, open the inspection cover on the bottom of the transmission (it's only a couple of little bolts) and see if you have any forward and back slop in the flexplate. Cracked flexplates are not all that common in these trucks, but they do happen.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
BB does the vibration seem to change based upon speed or does it do it sitting still as well? Do you feel it regardless of RPM? Do you feel the vibration in all gears (P, R, N, D)?

If you think it may be the flexplate, open the inspection cover on the bottom of the transmission (it's only a couple of little bolts) and see if you have any forward and back slop in the flexplate. Cracked flexplates are not all that common in these trucks, but they do happen.
Nate, how did I miss your reply? Sorry man, I just saw this at frickin' 9:45 pm!

To answer your questions, I only feel it when stopped and idling. As soon as any rpms are added, it goes away. It never increases with increased rpm. I did feel a tiny bit of vibration traveling down the highway at 65 this morning, but I am not sure if I am just getting paranoid and making stuff up. I do feel the vibration in all gears when sitting still ONLY. I think that is why I have not worried too much about it yet. I will definitely take the cover off tomorrow and see what I find.

It's hard to explain, but the reason I thought it might be the flexplate is that I hear the same sound (best I can recall) that I heard when my dual mass went out on my last '97. If you are sitting stopped and idling, it has a "wah wah" sound as it idles. The tach needle stays steady as well. It almost makes a sound like a slow-turning but unbalanced shaft? That probably doesn't help, but I don't know how else to describe it. The minute you hit the throttle to accelerate, it smooths out and drives beautifully. Hope that helps. Thanks a bunch for the input!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the cover and check the flexplate to be sure but I am willing to bet you're just feeling fluctuations in the idle of the engine because of the HP oil pressure changes as the IPR cycles open and closed at idle. Sometimes this can be an indication of a bad ICP or IPR, but the only way to know for sure is to get a scanner on it and see what the pressures are doing at idle.

Mine does the same thing. You're exactly right in describing it as a "wah wah wah" sound, or almost more of a feeling you can feel in the vibration of the engine. Only at idle, and it smooths out as soon as throttle is applied. I don't know if it is something to worry about or if it is just the nature of the beast.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Low fuel pressure can cause it to shake more at idle

Quick Reply: My "new" 1997 F-350 CC Dually! Whoot!!