1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My "new" 1997 F-350 CC Dually! Whoot!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well guess that proves how new I am to the scene.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hahaha, it's not a big deal, but that guy has made himself a very comfortable living by spreading half-truths and misinformation. He is kind of an inside joke around here...

Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ahhhhh Mr Hewitt. Just be thankful you found this place instead of just using YouTube for help.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
Hahahaha lololol

Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
That's no joke! I'm surprised Glenn isn't running parallel twins!
haha Todd!! When are you starting your build thread??

BB, looks like you stole my truck and painted it RED! Nice!!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should go onto every one of his videos and post a link to the thread where we dissected his "top end oil change" video.
Or just a link to FTE in general saying "GO HERE FOR REAL INFO!" lol

Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
SCA test strips are your friend. A coolant filter is also a very good idea. There are add on kits that can be used to add a filter to your system or you can replace the water pump with one from International that has a filter head built into it. You think you're scared now, wait until you see what is inside that first filter you change!
This is actually the first mod I planned on doing here pretty soon. I need to look up the info on the part #'s. I can get the filters at work either from Baldwin or Donaldson. I know the part # for the base and how-to is on here somewhere....just gotta find it. I'll get the test strips today!

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Oh, Lord....Here we go!!

Mr Hewitt there knows enough to be dangerous. VERY dangerous. And that's about all. A lot of the junk he spews is marketing hype and much of the rest is misinformation. Ever see his video on the "top end oil change"? Complete BS. Be very careful taking that man's advice. He talks a good game and comes across with a lot of confidence, but a lot of what he says is just BS.

Sorry to jump all over you, but we have been down this road so many times we should make a "Don't listen to Powerstrokehelp.com" sticky, lol.
Now this is crazy! I actually had his website up in another tab when I read this!! I had been reading stuff on there since last night, but hadn't watched any videos yet. I believe that forums are way more reliable for info as it comes from real world users who have tried and tested just about everything and know what works. Needless to say, I closed that tab.

Originally Posted by tshrager
Ahhhhh Mr Hewitt. Just be thankful you found this place instead of just using YouTube for help.
And yet another reason to close the tab!! Glad I didn't spend any time actually watching the videos.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965

Glenn!! Thanks for the compliment. I actually spent 2 hours reading through your entire thread the day before I went to make the purchase. I could not even begin to go where you went! I hope to at least start getting some stuff done in the next few months. I am almost afraid to do a Buzz test and things like that. I don't want to find major stuff until I have the $$ to put forward, which will be soon. Not that it runs like it needs anything, but I am sure with 180k it isn't perfect.

To Travis....wallet hidden

Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965

Not for a few more months. I start the new job July 8th, then I have to buy a new vehicle and we plan to pay off our debt. It's not a lot, but its still debt. Then I buy my turbo and ship it to a certain guy to mock up some pipes!
As soon as I post that I've bought a new ride, you can expect a thread to be started and parts will be torn apart.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by BBslider001

Glad I didn't spend any time actually watching the videos.

BB, as said above, nice rig (I also like the red color), welcome a board to the best forum ever.

I actually recomend you, to watch those videos, just dont believe all what he said, but really, at least for me, I learned a lot of things of the PSD just washing the videos, and more if you are a DIYselver (spl?). Of course here this forum is the best MANUAL, a lot of masters and gurus, always.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
coreylasalle
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice truck man,

This youtube guy is ridiculous.. idk how he is in business lol

Old 06-26-2013, 02:21 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Glenn!! Thanks for the compliment. I actually spent 2 hours reading through your entire thread the day before I went to make the purchase. I could not even begin to go where you went! I hope to at least start getting some stuff done in the next few months. I am almost afraid to do a Buzz test and things like that. I don't want to find major stuff until I have the $$ to put forward, which will be soon. Not that it runs like it needs anything, but I am sure with 180k it isn't perfect.

To Travis....wallet hidden
That turned out to be a long thread, LOL! The thing is, I'm not the greatest wrencher but with the encouragement of this group I made it thru. Especially the head studs, valve springs and push rods. I was not sure about attempting them! I love the dually for pulling, not to take anything away for my F250 2wd, it did a great job also. I know what you mean about the buzz & contribution test, the first time I ever did that was after my truck was done and with all the new stuff, it passed.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hewitt =

Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
check coolant with SCA test strips and add SCA as needed.

Add a coolant filter for the hell of it.

Done with coolant and move on to the next project. lol

Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
check coolant with SCA test strips and add SCA as needed.

Add a coolant filter for the hell of it.

Done with coolant and move on to the next project. lol
What is SCA anyway? Next project, which will require a lot of Coors, will be fluid changes.
Boring I know...

Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

What is SCA anyway? Next project, which will require a lot of Coors, will be fluid changes.
Boring I know...
Cooling system maintenance
The cooling system on any diesel has special concerns. It's possible for the coolant to cavitate--produce tiny bubbles--that can with time cause pin holes throught the cylinder walls from the water jackets. For this there is an additive; Ford P/N FW-15 or FW-16, Fleetguard P/N DCA4; that needs to be maintained in the coolant. Generally this means installing 8 to 10 oz of the additive to the cooling system every 15000 miles. Another method is to monitor the cooling system with Fleetguard's DCA4 test kit P/N CC2602 or CC2602A. This measures the level of DCA4 in the system, then you add the amount of SCA/DCA as required to reach a nitrite level of 1.2-3.0 PPM. The cooling system should be drained (and flushed if you live in an area with especialy alkiline water) and refilled with a fresh 50/50 mix of coolant/distilled or demineralized water and one pint of the additive for every two gallons of coolant/water at 30,000 miles. Use only a ethylene glycol-based coolant, preferably low-silicate.

Quick Reply: My "new" 1997 F-350 CC Dually! Whoot!!