Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Back in the saddle again! New Truck Style

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM
92mnfordtrk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the saddle again! New Truck Style

Hey guys, I'm Paul, been a long time FTE member and with school never knew where I would end up, so never joined the AZ chapter. Well, now I'm done, and just bought a nice truck, and know where I'm going to be. So, here I am joining the AZ chapter.

I've been in AZ long enough to be a native and am currently loving the East Valley although that can change as I work towards finding a house eventually.

Anyways, here's a pic or two of the truck. It's an 03 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel and 3.73LS rear end. The kicker is only 74,000 miles! So far everything checks out on it, although I need to go over it with a fine tooth comb like I do all new to me vehicles.

If you want, I'll post some more pics. But hopefully the above will wet your appetite for a bit

Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the Chapter. I hope you post often. Nice truck as long as the 6.0 doesn't give you the 6.0 troubles. But saying that I know guys with 6.0s that have had no issues & others with nothing but problems.
Craig

Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 PM
92mnfordtrk
Senior User
Yeah, I have a scangauge II and am aware of the 6.0 troubles. Hopefully soon I can get some ELC coolant and a filter on, I'm just waiting until there is more of a problem. There is the old adage if it isn't broke don't fix it.

With this one everything is in spec so far, and I have a 2 year extended warranty from Ford. I don't know how the dealer pulled out that one, but they said it was primarily due to the mileage and they were in there awhile on the phone.

I think the dealer was excited that someone actually was purchasing an old 6.0. Even though 03 should be known (nowadays) for being a better year. However, I see alot still say 05+, but I have a friend with lots of problems on his 05. I think it's hit or miss, some maintenance, and the rest is checking gauges and blue spring mod that makes a difference. I was excited because I walked out still under blue book and near private party pricing on craigslist.

It had to be owned by an older gentleman, there is extensive dealer records, and although 2 owners, I think he passed and his kids or whomever traded it in. The michelins are 98% new, I know my dad has the same tires and I measured tread depth

Don't worry I'll post often. Probably hit the 6.0 forum more, but I'll jump around to here and the superduty forum when I can.

-Paul

Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Paul, Great looking truck!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
My wife's girlfriend & husband bought a brand new 05 F250 4x4 6.0 & decided to go visit in Missouri from Nevada. Well when they got back we asked how was their trip & they said we saved on RV Parks because we stayed at almost every Ford Dealership to & from. But since then has been trouble free. So go figure. A guy across the street has an 06 he bought used with 45,000 miles & has had a turbo & turbo hose issues but that is it.
Buying anything used or new is a crap shoot these days I think. Luck of the draw.
Paul come on over to the Arizona Chat 2013 Board & meet the crew.
Craig

Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
nice looking truck man. any upgrades planned for it?
Trav

Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 PM
92mnfordtrk
Senior User
No upgrades right now. Currently looking to do the usual change of fluids and once over. Once I get that done I will weigh heavily on doing a fluid change to ELC coolant and adding a coolant filter. But, so far the EOT to ECT deltas have been 3-8* which is good. (sorry for the 6.0 talk lol).

After that, I haven't decided a location, but I do want a fuel pressure and trans temp and boost gauges, since the scangauge doesn't do those (other than boost, but a gauge is better). It's hard trying to pick a location, as i have to fit two radios in here too Will buy a CB, but also have a Kenwood TMV71 (2M/440) to put in as well. Gives more safety in the rugged areas of AZ.

In the future, I plan on getting some offroad tires and rims and swapping them around with the current ones. That is run the street when I need street (long trips highway etc. and put the offroad ones on when I need them) But, I got a long time on these to think, may switch and end up going with BFG's to do the all around after these too. The idea is not to run offroad all the time for mileage and wear purposes. Of course with that, would probably do a 2" lift. Nothing major, but enough to keep the important filters and body stuff out of harm's way by allowing a bit bigger tires.

Other than that, the truck comes with useful mods already (the rain guards, bug deflector, and grill guard, plus window tint and bed liner). Not to mention the Leer cap, I didn't need that, but will keep it on until I get the fifth wheel for the horses. Right now its two horse bumper pull that I guess I will inherit too, but the sun wasn't too nice on the fiberglass. However, it works for now.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
I would do it on the door pillar we are later going to put gauges on there ourseslves plus I think it looks cool. The BFG TA KO is the best tire I have seen all around our 86 F150 has them and they are great we do both backroad driving and regular roads a lot of highway too. Every day five miles of backroads and the KO has handled great.
Trav