1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

can i make my 48 faster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM
youngf1owner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i make my 48 faster?

i have a 1948 f1 ford small block v8 what can i do to supe it up

Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Well what have you done so far? cam, heads, pistons, gears. We need more info, pictures would help. Can you make it faster? sure all it takes is time and money.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM
youngf1owner
New User
i m going to upload pics but my computer isnt working right

Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Just wasn't sure where your starting from? Small block Ford? 302/289 were more than willing to help with advice and many on here are smart, not me, so like you should ignore most to all of what I say. LOL.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
YES! You can make it faster. Put it on a flatbed truck and drive faster!

I've got a 302 in my truck and it's pretty quick. The slowest thing about my truck is the transmission linkage. But I'm also not going for a race truck, so I've got a 2v carb and an OD tranny.

If you REALLY want it fast you can drop in a big block and a racing transmission, with high flow intake and exhaust and a top dollar carb or fuel injection system.

If you want to play with what you've got and maybe add a piece at a time, you can do heads, headers, intake, carb/injection, tranny swap. There are all kinds of possibilities with a SBF.

Welcome to FTE!

Peace,
Jim

Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey YoungF1,
What SBF do you have? Any modifications on it so far?
We had a 351W built out with an Edelbrock top end kit - right around 400HP.
To be honest we don't run it fast - much better for just cruising comfortably at highway speeds.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The old saying pertains: speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? It takes a lot more than just engine work to go fast. The more you increase HP the more the rest of the truck will need upgrading to put that power to the ground, it's a vicious circle. The cheapest way to go faster is to put in a bigger engine.

PS: why and where do you want to go faster?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Is your truck running and driving well now?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Faster while on a phone. Amazing the new wave. Three ways put a
337 flathead in it, come live here cant go anywhere over 30mph if you
can get out of the driveway, Put a 460 in it my F350 can get up to
maybe 40mph downhill on a good day < I mean it. nobody can figure
that one out and no,, brakes aint draggin.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM
needhelp49
Elder User
make sure you have enough stop in it before you put the go into it. All the power in the world won't help ya if ya can't stop it when ya get there. I have a built flatty in mine and it's more than fast enough.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Going to race it ? No ? Then why make it faster ?

Can you keep up with local traffic ? Yes ? Then why faster ?

Just want the power for fun , drop in a 460._ _That's the way i fix them.__

Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck was designed to go slow
As above engine, transmission and rearend can make it go faster

STOP - Thats what you have to make it do first and foremost

HANDLE - Going fast requires the truck to handle correctly - That means a suspension system able to handle the speed

MONEY - Running gear, suspension, brakes, etc will cost $10,000 to $15,000 if done correctly

I see that you live in NY, I live in Erie, PA - If you don't make it road worthy and you will be driving anywhere near Erie, please notify me - I'll stay off the roads and give you one less obstacle

Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Dick, you forgot the one most important factor:
DRIVER SKILL and EXPERIENCE - It takes a lot of skill to drive even a slow vehicle safely. Increase the speed and the skill needed goes up exponentially. I've seen it many times at autocross events where a young driver brings out his "fast" car and spends the day spinning out, plowing over cones and making a total fool out of himself while experienced people are beating his times by ten seconds or more with a stock Civic, Mini Cooper or Miata. Those same poor driving skills and decision making on the highway results in injuries and death every single day, most could have been prevented. Virtually every loss of control accident is due to inexperienced driver error. You want to go faster? take up autocross, we'll teach you how to go faster and do it safely without touching the motor. I personally love speed, but I keep it on a race course where it belongs.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Here's my 2¢. If you're truck is all stock with a modern V8 it's probably overpowered, at least IMO. I have a 226 flathead six with all stock suspension in my '49 f-2 and there have been a few times I have almost got myself into trouble. Not because I got that massive power house of the 226 up to top speed. I find the trouble is in turns on country roads with curves. Even though top speed in my truck is 45-50 mph it has a high center of gravity and once in a while I'll go into a curve that I didn't realize was as sharp as it is and the truck will want to cross over the line into the other lane. I try to anticipate these curves but I'm used to driving my daily driver with it's modern tuned suspension and wide radial tires and all the other improved suspension components that allow me to go into these same curves without a problem. Like the others have said, these trucks were not made to go fast. The only way I'd install a more powerful engine is to first improve the suspension.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:43 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Reading the OP's post I wonder if he is maybe having gearing problems. In as much as he may still have the stock rear axle in it. So if that is the case than making the engine turn faster will just most likely kill it sooner.

We need to know what his complete drive train is made up of. Than go from there to get him up to highway speed comfortably.
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html