1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Chug-a-lug part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Kels_Bubba
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chug-a-lug part 2

This is a continuation of my recent chug a lug post...

Ok so got my oil change this morning..truck is still having its issue..sounds like a cam surge but only does it when first starting truck..I took a vid of it so that you guys can hear what I'm talking about, the whole truck shakes and when it finally catches it runs fine. The places where you hear the engine rev a little is me giving it some gas(seems to catch quicker if I do that)

So any suggestions..cam sensor has been replaced twice and when it crapped out it shut the vehicle down both times..

Thks!!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 AM
brooksbronco17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try starting in neutral. If it doesn't do It in neutral it's the transmission range sensor that is bad. I think that is what alot of posters call romping.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Kels_Bubba
New User
Originally Posted by brooksbronco17
try starting in neutral. If it doesn't do It in neutral it's the transmission range sensor that is bad. I think that is what alot of posters call romping.
Bubba cranked right up in neutral...with no 'romping'

So if that transmission sensor is bad is that a critical fix? Like don't drive the truck until it's fixed? I have another vehicle, Dodge Magnum, so I've definitely been driving her more instead of Bubba ..problem is we have no decent diesel mechanics around here

Oh and THANKS brooksbronco17!!!!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Just start in n until you get it replaced
its an easy fix.any decent tech cam replace it.just make sure to use ford part!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Kels_Bubba
New User
Thks fordman67!!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
That's why I asked that question in the other thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Kels_Bubba
New User
Originally Posted by fordpride
That's why I asked that question in the other thread
And you were dead on fordpride!!!
Shoulda checked that when ya posted it!!
Thanks!!

Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You shouldn't need a mechanic for this fix. That switch/sensor bolts on to the outside of the tranny, and has just one plug. There's an adjustment procedure for it, no doubt; who knows, maybe an adjustment is all it needs (doesn't "sense" when you're in Park).

Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
mine did exactly the same.. replaced range sensor, fixed it

Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed in the video, after the truck started running good, you no oil pressure. Might want to check/replace the oil psi sensor.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Kels_Bubba
New User
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I noticed in the video, after the truck started running good, you no oil pressure. Might want to check/replace the oil psi sensor.
Thanks for noticing that ReBilld! I had a mechanic check that out when I got the truck..it has always done that and only goes to normal when I am on the gas..he couldn't find anything wrong..
The guy who had the truck before me was a firefighter and he rigged it up with so many lights it looked like a Christmas tree! (and really didn't know what he was doing when he did it) so needless to say I have had a lot of 'electrical' issues/shorts etc. not really sure if that was affected but I've had the truck for 7 yrs now and it's done that since Ive had it..
There is a new mechanic that is opening shop here on July 1 that works on diesels...from vehicles to farm equipment to big rigs, so hopefully he will know his s**%.. Gonna have him take a look at Bubs and will mention it to him to chk it out!
Thanks!!

Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 AM
meandlia
New User
Smile New Mech on 7/1??? Whattttt?

Originally Posted by Kels_Bubba
Thanks for noticing that ReBilld! I had a mechanic check that out when I got the truck..it has always done that and only goes to normal when I am on the gas..he couldn't find anything wrong..
The guy who had the truck before me was a firefighter and he rigged it up with so many lights it looked like a Christmas tree! (and really didn't know what he was doing when he did it) so needless to say I have had a lot of 'electrical' issues/shorts etc. not really sure if that was affected but I've had the truck for 7 yrs now and it's done that since Ive had it..
There is a new mechanic that is opening shop here on July 1 that works on diesels...from vehicles to farm equipment to big rigs, so hopefully he will know his s**%.. Gonna have him take a look at Bubs and will mention it to him to chk it out!
Thanks!!

You didn't mention the new mech coming to town on 7/1... I am picking up the dually on Saturday (oh... uh, yeah need a ride, haha). He said there wasn't a single drop of trans fluid leaking the whole time he had it & that he couldn't find anything w/the trans w/just a 'basic' look over. He suggests a shop that can do a trans diag if I want to pursue it - of course he did all of that no charge, cuz he's a good mech, thank the ford gods... anyway - he had a suggestion about the fluid thing and it made me start thinking. Didn't Raymond mention putting in fluid & possibly put in too much - beyond the hatch marks? Allen said it could be 'flinging out' as over-spill when it gets hot & that's why we see it after it's been driven. It's weird because the two days I drove it to work, there was no t.fluid on the parking lot space where it was parked either... weird. I don't know jack about trans. that's for sure. I'll tell ya, if it ain't one thing, it's another... this is one expensive truck... haha