1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How Low Can You Get It?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Filthy1955F100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Low Can You Get It?

With Mustang ll IFS with 2 inch drop spindles on 20 inch wheels and a stock frame how low could you get the truck?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Too low to drive over standing beer cans, speed bumps or roadkill.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM
2dasand
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Too low to drive over standing beer cans, speed bumps or roadkill.
So, not real low, you're saying?

On a serious note, what about the A$$ end? It seems like a c-notched rear frame with a straight axle will not go low enough to make the truck sit at or near level to the front suspension as mentioned above. Am I wrong?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 PM
wallster
Elder User
I thought my last '51 looked great when we used the drop spindles up front and reversed eye posies in the rear until I realized working under the truck was a major pita (it was even difficult to get a floor jack under it because there wasn't enough clearance to pump up the handle). Keep in mind that you may have to get under the vehicle at some point and unless you're built like Olive Oil (showing my age) you better think about being able to lift it somehow.

Wally

1951 F1 - ol' red

Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 2dasand
So, not real low, you're saying?

On a serious note, what about the A$$ end? It seems like a c-notched rear frame with a straight axle will not go low enough to make the truck sit at or near level to the front suspension as mentioned above. Am I wrong?
Pui in a deep C notch and flip the axle on top the springs,

Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM
2dasand
Junior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Pui in a deep C notch and flip the axle on top the springs,
Thats my question - will that give the rear enough to sit as low as the front with dropped spindles, etc? I haven't seen one that looked low enough, they still have the rake to them. I looked at 1 that was low enough, but the air was out of the rear bags, and the axle was sitting inside the notch, so it would not drive like that. Driving would have to be raised up.
I have contemplated the T-bird IRS solely based on this, there is a poster on here tthat showed it on his F-1. I just though this would be a good place to bring this up.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Here's my heidts mustang II with 2 in drop spindles with 17's. haven't done the rear yet

Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 PM
2dasand
Junior User
That's what I'm looking for! The back is my concern. Would you hurry up and do the back, so I know?! Just kidding

Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I have contemplated the T-bird IRS solely based on this, there is a poster on here tthat showed it on his F-1. I just though this would be a good place to bring this up.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ll-how-to.html

Not for the faint of heart, Rokcrln has exceptional skills.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
2dasand
Junior User
Thanks! That was the T-bird install I was referring to. The only concern I have is I should be between 650 and 700 hp. I'm a little nervous about the IRS with that. I've read that the Cobra parts interchange, and those make big power and seem to hold. I have not done lots of research on that yet. I have a Versailles 9" with 3.70 posi already that I would kind of like to use, which is why I ask about lowering the back.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
My axle was on top of my rear springs too before I cut the entire rear suspension off. check out my build thread for more pics...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Here's my stock rear suspension with axle on top of leaf springs...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Thanks! That was the T-bird install I was referring to. The only concern I have is I should be between 650 and 700 hp. I'm a little nervous about the IRS with that. I've read that the Cobra parts interchange, and those make big power and seem to hold. I have not done lots of research on that yet. I have a Versailles 9" with 3.70 posi already that I would kind of like to use, which is why I ask about lowering the back.
You can go as low as you'd like in the rear with the solid axle, right to the ground if you want, Just need to do a deep enough frame kick up, use coilovers, coils or bags. Seriously, you're going to have to do a lot of tucking to not be ripping things off of it on the street. I know, my Solstice is extremely low with the factory race suspension. 650 to 700 HP, are you going serious drag racing? Without slicks on a drag strip and a lot of chassis work you won't be able to put it to the ground without burning the tires off it to worry about breaking the rear axle. IMHO Sounds like you haven't decided exactly what you want the truck to be, it can't be everything without a great deal of compromise.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM
2dasand
Junior User
I know my hp range is still little unrealistic to put to the ground without huge tires, etc. I have the motor and want it in the truck. I am willing to mini tub the bed into the frame rails, but I don't want the pro street steamroller look. I also do want to z the frame and raise the floor of the bed. I want it stay stock depth.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I know my hp range is still little unrealistic to put to the ground without huge tires, etc. I have the motor and want it in the truck. I am willing to mini tub the bed into the frame rails, but I don't want the pro street steamroller look. I also do want to z the frame and raise the floor of the bed. I want it stay stock depth.
Then you will not get the rear as low as the front. The rear axle center section will hit the underside of the bed floor if you do not raise it. Tubbing to the frame will need to be combined with widened rear fenders to be able to get near enough tire under it. If you are going with that much HP and don't want to raise the bed you might want to seriously consider using track bars and coil springs or bags like the NASCAR guys run. Big tires and HP will wind up any leaf springs and it will wheel hop like a frog on a desert highway, very likely breaking something.. Other wise, triangulated 4 bar would be my first choice with solid axle. My very first choice especially if you want it low would be IRS out of a Jag XJ 12, Caddy CTS-V, Corvette ZO6 or Viper. All can handle 700 HP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Low Can You Get It?