Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What its worth F250 6,9 IDI 83-84

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:32 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What its worth F250 6,9 IDI 83-84

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I am from Europe. I would like to buy this truck, extended cab long bed, manual, 4x4, stock factory would be really nice. Minor corrosion is no problem, I would like to have it nice hopefully undamaged interior and zf5 would be sweet in it. I have been searching throug the Europe for almost 2 years but all the trucks are junk. I know these two first years have problems with block cracking, but it is the only variant I can run them here legally as antique cars, it has to be 30 years old. Otherwise it has to be up to 8 years age to get it running legally. It is hard to search from Europe in U.S. and ebay is expensive.Of course it would be nice to find one close to big port so it can be loaded to the container and shipped to Europe.I have never done that, but it is the only way to get it, I just love that beast. So I was thinking if someone can help me? Thanks in advance.
With regards Jan Micka

Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
Ok, I found a threat that probably answered one my question about the price, so hopefully for 2-3k it is possible to get a solid truck I guess. So would anyone find a truck that meets my requirements and send me photos and maybe help with the transport to the dock? I know I am asking a lot, of course I will pay for your time. The reason I want diesel that it usess less fuel than gasoline ones, and as far as here in Europe gallon costs 7.5 bucks I cant afford a gasoline engine, that would ruin me. And I always had diesel engines. I am an automechanic, so work on the truck is no problem.I do not need lifts, just the way it came from the factory is nice to me, no additional gauges, just the way it was back then. I would keep it for very very long as most of my old cars I have.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know that some people like the first year of the IDI, but if you are paying to have the thing shipped to Europe, do yourself a HUGE favor and skip the 1983 model year. The blocks were weaker, but so were the cylinder heads. They are prone to cracking on the '83's. Unfortunately you probably can't check casting numbers before you buy, but this article explains the differences (find a 1984 truck, it will be 30 years old soon enough!)

Rebuilding the International 6.9/7.3L Powerstroke Engine: Engine Builder

Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Since 1987 was the first year for the ZF, you won't find one in a 83-84 truck (unless you are lucky enough to find one that's already been swapped in). If you are thinking of a ZF swap, this info may help...

Originally Posted by Ford F834
Pretty straight forward, the ZF is physically the same length as the T19 with the bellhousing attached, so your transfer case and drive shafts work just as they are now. If you can get the ZF crossmember, do so and use that. If not your T19 crossmember will work but you have to move it slightly and drill a couple new holes in the frame iirc. You can use your T19 single mass flywheel, but you will need to buy the clutch pressure plate and clutch disc specifically for a 1987 truck with a 6.9L engine and a ZF 5 speed. Those trucks came with dual mass flywheels, but had pressure plates that had 6 mounting bolts (instead of 8 like the 7.3L flywheels, iirc). The friction disc will also have the correct, larger center splined hole for the ZF's thicker input shaft. Since you have a Gen 7 truck, there is an issue with clearance under the transmission tunnel, so if you can, get a tunnel cover from a Gen 8 brick nose truck, and cut a hole in it for your 4x4 shifter (Gen 8 trucks have the hole on the side of the tunnel, not in the pan). That's about it... single mass flywheel conversions have the problem of gear roll over noise, and from what I've read the best solution is Amsoil 50 wt synthetic ATF, overfilled through the shifter tower if necessary, and many add additional sound deadeners to the floor, firewall, and doors of the cab. Still, this beats the heck out of the diesel scream as it over-revs on the highway! You could buy a dual mass flywheel, but they run 600$-1,200$ and become ticking time bombs as they age. The two halves are held together with springs, and when they finally break you can pretty much count on a grenaded main case on your ZF. No thanks. I'll take the amplified clatter of the diesel torque spikes any day... and from what I read that 50 wt ATF (from Amsoil, it's for semi trucks) really does get rid of it, even without over filling. We shall see... I need to replace the quil tube in the best of my ZF's and have the rear case welded up. The 4x4 ZF's commonly develop a crack in the webbing just ahead of the 4x4 shifter mount. It can grow until it leaks oil out of the rear case. When shopping, also check for input shaft play. Hope this helps, and hope I didn't scare you off from a 5 speed swap. It's a fantastic upgrade if you can find one...

Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
Yes I know the zf5 were on later models, 8th generation, but it makes a huge difference in the truck, the overdrive is a must for these cars due to today speed standards. These cars are quite rare in Europe, that´s why I want to get it from US as u have thousands of them there. I am just amazed by prices of these in US. Of course the transport gets expensive, around 1500 container to Germany, duty, tax so basically the price here in Europe would be twice I pay in US. The problem is I can´t find those from here, that is why I was asking for a help. I tryed to contact some agents here that import US cars but the answer was the price here at my doors would be around 10000US which is I guess ridiculously way to much. It is odd idea that someone would help me but u never know, it is just a try. As an exchange I can offer accomodation here whoever wants to visit our banana republic.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Overdrive is a "must" for freeway driving, especially if you have 4.10 axle gears. I will be running a ZF5 and a Gear Vendors overdrive for double overdrive on my 4.10's. A few members here have that arrangement. If you can, I would look for a 3.55 truck and a ZF5. That will allow decent speed levels and better fuel economy.

You may find a member who can help you get a truck to Deutschland, I would but I'm afraid I'm not much help in northern Arizona... not too many ports here! Not too many 1984 4x4 diesels either... People here tend to buy those up for hauling firewood, water, and for getting around on the Indian reservation. A lot of the 4x4's are beat to death, even if most of them are free of rust.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
I am limited with the 30 years of age, I mean I need a title 30 years old for the car, the car can be younger but 7th generation, they are not dumb here and can check, so 83-87 is ok but the title has to be 1983. Once I was in contact with a guy in Oregon, who was selling jeep pick up and for some reason the handling agent offered me the transport by truck to L.A. and container from there, dont know why not to Portland and container from there. That is another lovely pick up I am dreaming of. And Gran Torino 1972. I have spent one year in Oregon back in 1995, actually I graduated Astoria High School. I was too dum to bring some car back home then. My heart was just bleeding when I saw a 1958 Cadillac convertible on wrecking yard. It is a problem trying to do things from here, by internet and phone. Yes I saw the article about the overhaul of the engine, the problem years, I have read a lot about the whole truck but that is about all I can do from here. Gear vendor is nice but they are asking 2900 for it and that is way expensive. I would be happy to find a truck I want and I am not sure if I can demand 3,55 axles for 30 year old car, if it is a 4 speed I would swap the tranny, looked at them, they are around 600 I guess, I have seen them for 1000 but also for 300. But again believe it is good buying stuff by phone.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
But anyway I appreciate u would help me, some idiot on the other side of a planet dreaming of truck that is considered a piece of junk for most of your people.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 PM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan you are among folks with similar sickness here .

Problem for many of these is some while ago they became worth more as scrap metal than as used trucks. I thought the salvage yards would be full of them but they're all crushed.

I think you've only got a few months' wait until 1984s are in your window - and it may be worth the wait. I'd suggest keeping your eye on the for sale and wanted ads here and on craigslist and if you find a candidate truck posting here for someone in the area who knows these trucks to look it over should be possible.

It will be worth it I'm sure!
- Jeff

Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
I am fine with 84 year, give me some tips where to look for them through internet, searching for car from the other side of planet is kind of hard. I do not want to force anyone attention. The problem is I have never seen or driven these trucks so I am dependent on what people say and I have to believe it what it isnt a good attitude to buy a car via phone and ship it thousands of miles without any chance to return.That bothers me and that is why I asked maybe for someone help. Any parts for these are impossible here, everything has to be imported from Us plus tax and all that crap, so buying a good one is essential. I can manage to repair the body and everything mechanical, but parts as interior, cracked dashboard is a problem as there are no parts and shipping is way expensive.What I want to say when I see pictures of some parts trucks being dismantled guys I would make out of it a truck here that is awesome. It is probably the same with bmw over you, we have full wrecking yards of them and nobody considers it interesting. I always wanted t have a real US car, I own a Grand Voyager, but it is not a american classic, for me this truck is and is in reach of my budget.
Anyway thanks for any help.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Too bad this is a 1986... Has a ZF, turbo, 4x4... just a couple years too new

1986 Ford F250 6.9 turbo diesel

Old 06-22-2013, 12:26 AM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Romel,

Here are a couple listed on craigslist here in Denver. there are no 83's but some 84's. I might be able to help you out if you are serious, I have space to store it until 2014.

1984 Ford F350 4WD PU

1984 Ford F250 XL Diesel 4 Wheel Drive (Reduced)

The first one seems like WAY too much money for that truck, but the second is not terrible for a one owner truck with 125k miles.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:51 AM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So Jan,

In re-reading your post, It is going to be almost impossible to get an extended cab 4x4 that is in decent shape. They are VERY rare in the early model diesels. You might need to settle for a regular cab. The 84 in the link above might not be too bad a subject for you. Some bonuses are 160k miles, it is an F350 so it will have the one ton suspension, including the bullet proof Dana 60 high pinion king pin front axle . (I paid 1200 bucks us for one of these alone for my 94) and it has been garage kept so the interior should be decent for a 30 year old truck. If it could be had for less it might be worth a look.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Unfortunately they didn't start putting front D60 axles in F350's until mid-year 1985, so the 1984 F350 is probably still "just" a TTB D50...

I missed that he was looking for extended cab also... makes it a bit tougher, especially in a 4x4...

Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Another issue that you run across is that when you do find extended cab trucks, they tend to have automatic transmissions. Kind of went hand in hand.
Ford F250 Diesel 4x4
I know of another one, (EX cab 4x4 diesel) but I think it is also an automatic, and I'm thinking it is a 1985... also has a utility bed. Since it is being sold at a junkyard (but as a whole running vehicle) it will probably still have a salvage title. For those of us here, auto to manual conversion is no big deal, but Jan won't have the junk yard parts to pull it off easily. Too bad... we will have to keep looking...

Quick Reply: What its worth F250 6,9 IDI 83-84