1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

ZF5 in a 99 4x4 - am i crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
Midwest - I tend to share your philosophy with these sort of things. pretty much anything is possible given enough time, money and access to machine shop equipment and welding. and you can even potentially minimize one or two of those elements by maximizing another - which is what i'd try to do here - minimize cost, but spend lots of time and effort making things work.

for now, though, its a moot point.

the deal that was by far better than others out there was, indeed, too good to be true. it was a 99 F-350 dually with 170k mi. I worked the guy down from 11500 to 8700 on the phone, then drove the 2 hours to see it. him willing to drop that much off the bat was not a good sign to begin with, but I had to at least check it out.

as soon as I get there, he hands me a sheet of paper from a local mechanic detailing all the work done to the truck one week ago - totaling $2000 worth of work.

so, that was where my inspection began - I went about verifying the quality of the work done. easiest thing to check was the replaced driveshaft carrier bearing. I crawl under the truck to see a rustier bearing than the factory original that's on my 96. other things on the list are various front and rear end bearings and seals. I couldn't find a single nut or bolt with a head that had a wrench on it any time recently.

seeing that either he or his mechanic had fabricated at least some items on his list - plus a rusty and significantly weeping oil pan, I said, "thanks but no thanks and good luck with the sale." what I really wanted to say was "you're a crook and I hope you wind up losing money on this truck that you're obviously just trying to flip"

...the search goes on...
NM....

Richard

Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new mexico?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
new mexico?
nm=never mind....

I replied (without reading) that I would be interested in the tranny when you did the swap...

Richard

Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
gotcha. well, the idea is not dead, just with that truck. i'll keep you in mind if I go that route.

crazy how hard it is to find a manual trans 7.3 out there...

Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
gotcha. well, the idea is not dead, just with that truck. i'll keep you in mind if I go that route.

crazy how hard it is to find a manual trans 7.3 out there...
I have seen a few here.... one guy ended up parting out a CCLB cause he couldn't sell it...

Richard

Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Ford F350 Power Stroke Diesel

here you go.... not sure if it's manual or auto but might be worth it for the price...

Richard

Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
parting out 2000 f-250 xlt ext cab with 7.3lt diesel 6speed stick

Here is a 6speed you can pickup on your way back for $500...

Richard

Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Ford F350 Power Stroke Diesel

here you go.... not sure if it's manual or auto but might be worth it for the price...

Richard
$8k for 200k miles on an SD crew cab is much better than I've seen around here. plus, its probably rust free. if I had the time off to burn, i'd add the price of a SouthWest ticket from PHL to PHX and ~100 gallons of diesel to the cost of the truck and still make out ahead.

...stupid working for the man.

and who parts out a truck that's otherwise fine for some bad wiring. isn't a whole new engine harness only a few hundred bucks - less than a grand for sure? gotta be something else seriously wrong with that truck - or his head...

Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
$8k for 200k miles on an SD crew cab is much better than I've seen around here. plus, its probably rust free. if I had the time off to burn, i'd add the price of a SouthWest ticket from PHL to PHX and ~100 gallons of diesel to the cost of the truck and still make out ahead.

...stupid working for the man.

and who parts out a truck that's otherwise fine for some bad wiring. isn't a whole new engine harness only a few hundred bucks - less than a grand for sure? gotta be something else seriously wrong with that truck - or his head...
Unless they were from the salt belt they will not have a drop of rust. Occasionally you see some from the coastal areas (texas, kalifornia) that have a bit of surface rust but nothing like what you get.

There are a lot of trucks out here, unfortunately most of them seem to be more of the base models. Unless you dont mind not having leather and stuff.

Richard

EDT: the one bane we have out here is packrats. they get into vehicles and eat the harnesses and poop and pee everywhere. It may not just be the engine harness.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
There are a lot of trucks out here, unfortunately most of them seem to be more of the base models. Unless you dont mind not having leather and stuff.

Richard

EDT: the one bane we have out here is packrats. they get into vehicles and eat the harnesses and poop and pee everywhere. It may not just be the engine harness.
interesting... rust vs. poop and pee. never thought i'd choose rat ***** over anything else when given the choice, but you learn something new about yourself every day!

and base models are fine by me - as long as it has AC (as demanded by the wife) - though, i'd guess that most desert trucks will have AC. I did notice that there seem to be fewer 4 wheel drive trucks out where it doesn't rain and snow much. less need for them, I guess. again, not a dealbreaker, but about a $1500 price drop if what I can pay if I have to plan on adding a D60 under the front end later (I already have the 4x4 tranny and t-case).

again, though its getting the time off from work that prevents me 'scoring' a nice desert truck. NE all-day trips are doable on Saturdays, but spending the better part of a week flying and driving cross country is more difficult. there's also the practical matter of buying a truck already registered and inspected in PA - saves me the trouble of immediately getting it through the racket known as PA state inspection...

Old 08-16-2014, 05:29 PM
300-6 AUTO TECH
Senior User
I know I'm bringing up an old thread, I found this searching for this subject of swapping a ZF5 into a 7.3L auto Super Duty. I know it may not be that practical and a ZF6 swap would be better and easier for the most part, but for a daily driver I would prefer the 5 if it wasn't going to loaded or pulling a trailer everyday.
On the before mentioned very early '99 coming factory with a 5 speed, I would be very surprised to ever see that if there were some produced. I've worked on a lot of customer '99 super dutys and shopped for manual transmission equipped 7.3L super duty pickups and I've never seen or heard of a 5 speed diesel super duty nor was I able to find it in a google search. That would be quite rare anyway and not practical to sorce parts for a swap. However, '99 - '01 super dutys with gas engines did have the ZF5. Then in the '02 model year (I believe it was) the gas pickups were build with the ZF6 also
So, let's say I was going to go ahead and do this swap. I think it would go about it by getting the parts from a ZF5 equipped gas pickup. Almost everything you would need should be there(pedal assembly, hydraulics, crossmember, drive shafts, transfer case if they used a different one behind the ZF5 I don't know). The gas transmission case will have the bell housing pattern to fit the ford modular engine and would have to swapped with a ZF5 case from and earlier OBS 7.3L pickup, witch is not a huge deal to swap the case. The ZF trandmissions are not assembled in the traditional way that most others are. Or, maybe the ZF5 from an OBS pickup would work. The question here is "are the tail housings and output shafts the same?" I don't know if they left that the same for the super dutys equipped with 5 speeds or if they changed tail housings and output shafts to run the NP271/273 transfer case. I have ever looked at that before but I would bet that you would need the tail housing from a super duty version of the ZF5 making the transmission from the gas super duty pickup the best and easiest option I think and then just swapping on the 7.3L one piece case/bell housing. It should be bolt up then. There might have been a spacer plate you would need too, but I can't remember. Probably would need a clutch/flywheel setup from a OBS 7.3L also. I'm probably forgetting something or missing something, but I think this is a pretty simple swap with a 99-01 gas 5 speed donar pickup available + 7.3L case and a luk smf clutch kit. I would really like to do this sometime when I come across a decent 7.3L with a bad auto for the right money.
What do you guys think? It would be something unique and a cool project.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:57 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
This is the pic if my buddy's dad's truck. He's the original owner and it has a 7.3l

Old 08-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
The real early e99 had a zf5 from the factory
What he said. the 5 speed was standard. the ZF6 was an option MOST went with

Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 AM
300-6 AUTO TECH
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordpride
This is the pic if my buddy's dad's truck. He's the original owner and it has a 7.3l

Wow, I've never seen one before. This must be quite rare to find one optioned that way. Was this something only available in early '99? That's really interesting to actually see one. I've seen plenty of '99 7.3L's but never with a 5 until now. Thanks for the picture. I probably wouldn't have believed it otherwise. Learn something new everyday.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It was only in e99. There was no 98 f250/350 made in 98. The e99 was put out in 98 and I think ford was just using up left over parts

Quick Reply: ZF5 in a 99 4x4 - am i crazy?