General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Who love ZZTOP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who love ZZTOP?

And how many albums have you got?

Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhh.......

(just like that)

You gotta HAVE it...

There's a complete studio collection right now - and I want it BAD....

Unnerstand - I am into blues coming from Memphis

I WANT THAT!

($39 tho...)

Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
I don't currently have any of their albums, but I do like their earlier stuff...

Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
So I take it you haven't heard "Poke Chop Sandwich", among others?
The complete discography is kind of long....

Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I have the Eliminator and greatest hits albums.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
WoW--Nickelback REALLY nailed Sharp Dressed Man---LOVE it! (The other version with Carmen Electra ain't bad either! )

A few things about The Top and Reverend Billy G Gibbons..........

-He's been long admired for his great guitar tones---pretty amazing for the range of different sounds he's been able to record. I dare say without diminishing Eric Clapton's reputation he's right up there as one of those we mere mortal guitar players just love hearing.

-Billy G goes to some semi-extreme lengths being mysterious in just how he gets his guitar tones---very secretive in fact. He'll have an array of electronic effects and amps on stage, all seemingly plugged together which the less knowledgeable come to believe is how he achieves his incredible tones. Think Lock Ness Monster or a unicorn and you get the idea---he's great fun just for that IMHO.

-A power trio as talented as ZZ Top does that so unbelievably well its hard to imagine its only three musicians on stage.

-There's a sense of fun and irony in so many of their lyrics. Never over-the-top (no pun intended) or controversial, just simple well-crafted words that are probably meant to mean different things to different people---the mark of a great song writer.

-Great visual imagery associated with them---mostly Harley-Davidson inspired but always some homage to motorized things---a gearheads delight!

-ZZ's longevity and throngs of crowds still willing to shell out big money and endure the torture of a live concert shows their brand of seemingly simple good music that doesn't need lip synced or legions of on stage dancers to bring excitement to a performance.

-Last but not least every time I hear a ZZ Top song I'm seeing buxom gals of all ages in tank tops, hoisting a brew above their heads and dancing like no one's looking---but yet I am!

(Not sure THAT's ^^^ what Billy G and the boys have in mind when playing but I'm sure they see what I see too!)

Oh---Billy G is a huge car fan AND has done a few guest appearances on the TV show Bones---check him out some time!

Gonna watch Nickelback one more time---grrrrrrrrrrreat tribute video!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZZ Top is among my top favorites. I love "Brown Sugar" and the way Billy plays the licks in "Blue Jean Blues." All their old stuff is great and their new stuff is great- check out "Rhythmeen," their newest album. It's almost a throwback to their earlier stuff.

BTW, Dutch, 'Blue jean Blues' and 'Roughboy' both are awesome displays of Billy's blues playing style.

"Driving While Blind" perfectly explains why I quit drinking so long ago:
"Just the other night with nothing to do, we broke a case of proof one-oh-two, and started itching for that wonderful feel, of rolling in an automobile."

Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I donʻt have any form of ZZTOPʻs recordings, but for me being a "musician", I really like the technical aspect of this

band. Watching the these three artists on stage is simply amazing. Lead/rhythm guitar all from one instrument?

Awesome bass lines/vocals? Unbeatable percussion? Road trip ripping lyrics?

Truly bad aZZ

Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
ZZTop takes the age-old concept of cool cars and hot chicks to a whole other level.

Another thought about The Top and their cars/girls/guitars thing---that's been with us since at least the middle 50's---just something about them in combination that attracts the men AND women. In a way that's what life is really all about!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Through out their years, my family has been trained to break out the air drums when La Grange hits the speakers. No matter where we are or what we are doing. Great air guitar, as well.

I still don't think they know what that song is about though...

Took the family to see them at American Airlines Center a few years back. The company my wife was with, at the time, let us have seats in the company suite. Great concert from awesome seats.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:08 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Love the guitar sound on this one:

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
I have all the albums except the last couple, even have the 6 pack.

Blue jean blues and fool for your stockings are the two top songs that I cover the most and I took the chords from I thank you and the 'feel' from elton johns madman (across the water) to come up with something I like strumming from time to time.

Gibbons voice is failing however, I heard talk about last years tour and heard the Beacon thtr show on sirius - it was hard to understand, but if they come near, I go see em.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Billy Gibbons has a recurring role in "Bones," and made a guest appearance in the tv show "Yes, Dear" a few years ago. He comes into the restaurant at about the 4:58 mark and talks to Jimmy for a couple of minutes:

Quick Reply: Who love ZZTOP?