2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift kit questions

alright, I am almost done paying off my truck so now I am looking into lift kits. I know a lot about the lift kits and safety and such but I have some general questions to help me determine what exactly I will be getting. I am deciding between a 4inch and 6 inch suspension lift. I obviously got a truck because I love them and am a country girl but also to for safety and driving in the CO mountains during the winter. I dont want to be compinsating to much safety with the lift so I wont go over a 6 inch. I do plan on getting bigger tires as well. I am definitely wanting a lift that is going to be noticeable because I would hate to poor money into this and then not have what I want. my questions for you all, would a 4 inch lift with bigger tires be pretty noticeable to anyone on the street or more to those who know about trucks? I want to have a macho.. I know the tire size would also be a determining factor. for what I am after do you have a recommended tire size? Second, I have talked with a few guys I know and they said a 4 inch with 31 tires would definitely be noticeable.do you agree? How much do you think this will raise my truck all together? I think with a 6 inch i would definitely get the look im going for but then I would not fit into parking garages and I may have to crawl to get into it. I refuse to get a lift and bigger tires then not be able to get into the truck, this would be stupid. Over all, I want a lift that is safe, macho looking, and still not going to sacrifice to much wear on the truck. What suggestions or ideas do you all have. and to top it off my works clearance is 6'10'' but I usually take public transportation to work so this is not a huge factor. oh and I have a 2005 F-150 Thank you in advance!!

Jodi

Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jodi, you must be lost...whatcha doing up here in 09+??

Kidding of course.

In all honestly, knowing that you're not wheeling it, why not go with the 2.5-3" level with some 34-35" tires and be done with it? Most people will "notice" that a leveled truck is not stock, but some people wouldn't know the difference between a truck and a car. Basically, the people that care, will notice. The others, well they just aren't worth speaking of.

A 6" lift with 31" tires is gonna look a little strange, since 31"s are actually just slightly smaller than the stock tires on your FX4.

Look through this thread and see if there's anything in here that strikes your eye. If so, PM the member and see if they'll give you some specs, if they aren't listed in the signature
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...es-trucks.html

Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
hahah oop. i guess im just wishing i had a 09 or newer!

I do plan on taking it off roading which is another reason I want a lift. About the tires, i guess im not to familiar with sizes and such but i though the stock was 18 on mine but i guess not? if i did go with a 4inch lift what size tire would be a good size to upgrade to then? Its all so confusing ha. I have learned a lot through through this process. I like to know about my truck and not just be a female who knows nothing and lets the sales people trick me into all the extra stuff that I "need". thank for your input, i appreciate it as always.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Jodi, you must be lost...whatcha doing up here in 09+??

Kidding of course.

In all honestly, knowing that you're not wheeling it, why not go with the 2.5-3" level with some 34-35" tires and be done with it? Most people will "notice" that a leveled truck is not stock, but some people wouldn't know the difference between a truck and a car. Basically, the people that care, will notice. The others, well they just aren't worth speaking of.

A 6" lift with 31" tires is gonna look a little strange, since 31"s are actually just slightly smaller than the stock tires on your FX4.

Look through this thread and see if there's anything in here that strikes your eye. If so, PM the member and see if they'll give you some specs, if they aren't listed in the signature
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...es-trucks.html
take a look at this link, you will have to scroll down 7 posts to the user BryantCz. hehas a picture of his truck with the words "valley truck Acc." in the background. this is what I would love and it says its a 4inch with 33'' tires but to me it looks more that 4''what would you say?

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74318

Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
ahhh gotcha
18" is your wheel diameter

34-35" would be the tire (the actual rubber) diameter

Just what kind of "off roading" are you talking about? A firetrail is completely different than a rock garden, all being off road.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jjoyce11
take a look at this link, you will have to scroll down 7 posts to the user BryantCz. hehas a picture of his truck with the words "valley truck Acc." in the background. this is what I would love and it says its a 4inch with 33'' tires but to me it looks more that 4''what would you say?

4" Lift Kit - Ford F150 Forum
Jodi,

I'm 90% confident that the picture is misleading. That looks a lot like a 6" lift and 35" tires on 18" wheels.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:54 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
18" is the rim size and the 31" you mentioned earlier is the tire size/overall dimensions of your tire/rim package. More than likely you have a 275/65/18 tire size which means 275mm wide, the (one) sidewall is 65% of that, and then 18" tall for the rim. You double the sidewall number and add it to the 18" of rim, and it'll give you a final number - probably about 32.8". Likewise, a 275/65/20 is going to be 2" taller than the previous size.

In regards to lift, a leveling kit will achieve a macho look but not overstated. They're a good bit cheaper but might wear out things like ball joints a little prematurely. On the '07+ Tundras, this is not an issue.

A leveling kit is going to achieve lift one of a few ways. First way being a spacer on top of the coil (the way to go, IMO b/c it doesn't change ride characteristics). The second is going to be a polyurethane spacer in between which will preload the coil and be stiffer. Lastly, there is going to be a combination of the two.

Another way to lift the truck by about 1.5-2.5" is going to be the Bilstein 5100 Adjustable shocks - probably the way I'd do it depending on the miles on the vehicle, etc. This is going to give you a new shock, but keep the same coil.

Now, getting into the expensive lifts you have drop bracket lifts which relocate the differential down and will cost anywhere from $1200-2500 probably just in parts. Figure about $700 in labor on top of it. These are going to be more expensive than a puck lift, but it'll give you the 4-6" you're looking for.

In regards to tires, you should be able to fit a 305/65/18 under a leveled F150 (which is going to be wider than stock, as well as taller), or a 295/70/18 which is going to be taller still and almost34.5" tall but a bit narrower than the 305. Some trimming will be necessary but the shop doing in the install will do it for you no hassles. Kind of depends on the look you want.

When doing a 4 or a 6" lift, you should be able to stuff a true 35" under each. The difference being maybe some offset of the aftermarket rims (you'll need aftermarket rims with these lifts to clear the spindles), and the amount of gap you want to see.

For a full on suspension lift, check out BDS. They have the best warranty on their parts, and it's a pretttttty sweet lift IMO.

I lifted my truck 2.5" and I think it looks great.

-rockstate

Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
ahhh gotcha
18" is your wheel diameter

34-35" would be the tire (the actual rubber) diameter

Just what kind of "off roading" are you talking about? A firetrail is completely different than a rock garden, all being off road.
well I am a newbie to the off roading but definitely want to test my limits. I want to be able to clear some rocks/other stuff that the stock would not. Im not talking rock climbing or anything but I want to be able to go out and not worry about having to turn around because the stock just wont cut it. I am an adventure seeker and definitely don't like to take it easy...

take a look at the link that i just sent you above and tell me what you think. I love th look of it!!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Jodi,

I'm 90% confident that the picture is misleading. That looks a lot like a 6" lift and 35" tires on 18" wheels.
that is exactly what I was thinking...thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
OK Jodi, here's a listing of trucks from guys on here:

6" with 35"s
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7135918

Leveling kit with 33"s
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7139579

6" with 35"s but he's a touch nose high due to a 2" spacer on the front
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7337183

Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
OK Jodi, here's a listing of trucks from guys on here:

6" with 35"s
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7135918

Leveling kit with 33"s
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7139579

6" with 35"s but he's a touch nose high due to a 2" spacer on the front
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7337183
thank you so much, you are awesome! I definitely like the two that have the lifts. The leveling kit is not going to cut it for me. Having said that, if those two have the look i am trying to achieve do you think a 4 inch with the right size tires will look just as good but just be a bit shorter? I just hate to do a 4 inch the regret an not have the look i want and wish it was the 6 inch. im concerned with the 6 inch for a few reasons: 1. Im short and might have to jump to get into it hahah 2. it wont fit in many parking garages 3. will it be much a price difference than the 4inch? hmmm. decisions decisions!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Originally Posted by rockstate45
18" is the rim size and the 31" you mentioned earlier is the tire size/overall dimensions of your tire/rim package. More than likely you have a 275/65/18 tire size which means 275mm wide, the (one) sidewall is 65% of that, and then 18" tall for the rim. You double the sidewall number and add it to the 18" of rim, and it'll give you a final number - probably about 32.8". Likewise, a 275/65/20 is going to be 2" taller than the previous size.

In regards to lift, a leveling kit will achieve a macho look but not overstated. They're a good bit cheaper but might wear out things like ball joints a little prematurely. On the '07+ Tundras, this is not an issue.

wow, you just taught me a bunch more, thank you! i think your truck looks great but I am going for a bigger look than yours. I am doing the lift for looks mostly however I want to get into four wheeling so the lift would help me expand my capabilities.

A leveling kit is going to achieve lift one of a few ways. First way being a spacer on top of the coil (the way to go, IMO b/c it doesn't change ride characteristics). The second is going to be a polyurethane spacer in between which will preload the coil and be stiffer. Lastly, there is going to be a combination of the two.

Another way to lift the truck by about 1.5-2.5" is going to be the Bilstein 5100 Adjustable shocks - probably the way I'd do it depending on the miles on the vehicle, etc. This is going to give you a new shock, but keep the same coil.

Now, getting into the expensive lifts you have drop bracket lifts which relocate the differential down and will cost anywhere from $1200-2500 probably just in parts. Figure about $700 in labor on top of it. These are going to be more expensive than a puck lift, but it'll give you the 4-6" you're looking for.

In regards to tires, you should be able to fit a 305/65/18 under a leveled F150 (which is going to be wider than stock, as well as taller), or a 295/70/18 which is going to be taller still and almost34.5" tall but a bit narrower than the 305. Some trimming will be necessary but the shop doing in the install will do it for you no hassles. Kind of depends on the look you want.

When doing a 4 or a 6" lift, you should be able to stuff a true 35" under each. The difference being maybe some offset of the aftermarket rims (you'll need aftermarket rims with these lifts to clear the spindles), and the amount of gap you want to see.

For a full on suspension lift, check out BDS. They have the best warranty on their parts, and it's a pretttttty sweet lift IMO.

I lifted my truck 2.5" and I think it looks great.

-rockstate
wow, you just taught me a lot more.Thank you!!! I like your truck but I am going for a bigger look than that. I plan to start doing some 4 wheeling and the lift will help me with that as well. with the 6in suspension lift I am just worried it will be really hard to park in parking garages,i may have to jump to get into, and it is harder/more wear and tear on the truck. If i get a 6 inch is that a lot more labor and parts and such? i cant remember what size becomes a lot more expensive. check out the link below. I absolutely love this truck and would die to have its lift and such. However, if i could get away with a 4 inch and the right tires do you think I could pull off the same look just a bit shorter? or do you think it would be a drastic difference by going smaller? Thank you again!!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/81...ml#post7135918

Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Not a problem at all.

Check out these guys. Great warranty and great product.

2004-2008 Ford F150 4WD 8" lift kit 568H | BDS Suspension

This will give new spindles up front and a spacer for on top of the coil spring up front. In the rear you get a block... probably 2" taller than whatever factory is (if there is one at all).

This gives you a differential drop as well to keep factory angles and steering geometry. All drop bracket lifts do this - Procomp, RCD, Fabtech, etc.

The reason for the price minimal price difference is the amount of R&D that goes into these things.

The 4" will look good on an F150 with a set of 35s.

There is a lot of labor in these lifts as well as some cutting so a specialized off-road shop should be competent to tackle it. Plan on a day, or two... of not having the truck.

-rockstate

Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
The last piece of advice I can give you is to do it right once and you won't have problems down the road... i.e. don't buy a $25 spacer off Ebay when the nice one costs $200.

Secondly, don't stack lifts. It's not safe.

And lastly, please don't do a body lift. In an accident the bolts have a tendency to bend and a lot of frames are replaced to that tune. (While I don't do body work, I have 3 friends in the industry)

-rockstate

Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Jodi, if you really want a high quality, well engineered lift for your truck, then you need to check out Fabtech:
Products > FORD 4WD > F150 2004-08 > 6" Systems

They only offer a 6" kit, and suggest a 35" tire.
Their basic system is very nice, and more friendly on the budget. It can be paired from Fabtech with Bilstein shocks. This would probably be the best choice for you.

If you wanted to go "all out", then their performance kit is the way to go. Their 2.5 Dirt Logic coilovers are really nice, and can really only be beat by those offerings from King shocks.

Quick Reply: lift kit questions