DON'T gut the catalytic converter !

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Shannon Harris
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exranger06
It doesn't matter if your state does emission testing or not. Removing or gutting a cat is a federal crime and is illegal in all 50 states.

Just what do you guys hope to achieve by doing this anyway? You're not gonna get any extra power. All you're doing is making air pollution, which EVERYONE has to breathe, worse. It's very inconsiderate IMO.
mine happens to have 4 so it can become a lot of money I need my truck to go to dr visits can't afford to replace them and they are bad .....what should I do in this case. ...01 f150 super crew cab .....

Old 01-13-2017, 07:41 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
.what should I do in this case.
Call your congressman.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
altering catalytic converters are so 1976..

they used to make "TEST" pipes to see if cat is bad..
remove cat., install "test" pipe.. and drive and see if cat was bad.. that also was 1976...

Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here in ca any tampering of the cat is illegal,any cutting/welding around the cat will if inspected fail the test,also 30+ years ago got caught speeding,cop looked under the car,got ticket for glass packs and no cats,the fine for the cats being removed i paid on that for a year,not good,

Old 01-22-2017, 10:10 PM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The one thing I will say about the cat is it does change the tone of the exhaust. It is a expansion chamber and it will smooth out the pulses from the engine.
I ran my truck straight piped in 4" from the turbo back. Truck was raspy at wot and had cab drone around highway speeds.
I knocked out the cat and welded 4" pipe to both ends. The exhaust sounds much better with the empty cat body in the exhaust. Strange as that may sound it's true.

I also saw lower EGT's around 100* with the cat knocked out. I can't say it lowered or gained the HP. But it absolutely sounds better.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:13 AM
Troystal
"Ford wouldn't have spent the money installing it if it didn't need it".

Originally Posted by exranger06
If your 6 banger is so clean burning, then why did it need a catalytic converter? Ford wouldn't have spent the money installing one if it didn't need one. As for all the other stuff going on destroying the planet: I hate to use a stupid cliche but, two wrongs don't make a right. Not having a cat certainly isn't helping things, it's making it worse. You have no idea which foods I eat, and I do recycle.

And finally, you didn't answer my question: What do you hope to accomplish by removing the cat??
​​​​​​

So I guess I really needed those 2 piece spark plugs that Ford installed in my motor......

Old 09-29-2020, 07:17 PM
dxhydro1
Smaaaart!

Originally Posted by Troystal
​​​​​​

So I guess I really needed those 2 piece spark plugs that Ford installed in my motor......
Yes, the engineers at Ford are very smart and never do anything stupid! My 2004 F150 with 5.4 Triton is proof of that - two piece spark plugs & all. Or maybe they were just trying to sell parts because they're upset that cars last longer than 100k these days...

Old 10-01-2020, 10:54 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 212 Likes on 165 Posts
Personally...if my car came with a cat it stays on until such time when it breaks then I replace it with another cat, like o did on my wife’s suv. cost me $1200 to buy the new cats. The big issue was these cats were integrated in the exhaust manifolds. Either way I don’t wanna deal with trying to fool the computer in thinking the cats are there, and going through all the bs only to have to figure out how to illegally pass the smog test. Who really has time to screw around like that. I want a car that runs well and doesn’t give me problems.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:17 PM
brianftmfl
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
🤣 It makes me laugh when I see a catalytic converter “hugger” 🤣

Originally Posted by tinaheels
gutting the converter is illegal as hell . one may go to jail if caught.
I know this posting is an old one BUT; I Had to laugh When I saw this one…. I mean, when I used to live in “Taxachusetts”, not a day went by when I didn’t see at least one article in the newspaper about a cop with x-ray vision busting a driver/car owner and throwing them in jail for gutting their catalytic converter….🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I mean once in a blue moon if someone had a loud exhaust (like open headers) or a loud audio system and pissed a cop off they might get a ticket or POSSIBLY thrown in jail (after pissing the cop off some more)…..

BUT even though most people end up creating leaks and more harm than good, as long as you don’t have to worry about passing emissions test (and sometimes even if you do), gutting your converters or converter is a good option if performance exhaust parts are not available for your vehicle…..

Oh yeah… Be sure to either restrict the flow allowed to enter the rear O2 sensors (catalyst monitor sensor) or use resistors/emulators to send the correct voltage to your engine computer so that it “looks” like the catalyst is present and functioning…. The easiest way is to take copper piping and cut a piece to cover the end of the sensor and then install it back into the converter…. The only other recommendations I have are to Make sure there are no leaks and don’t use any universal pipes or a bunch of adapters to accomplish ANYTHING… you don’t want any leaks….

Knowing what people do their exhaust I probably shouldn’t have said any of this but if done correctly you CAN turn your 4.0 catted y pipe into a high flow (2.5” to 2.75/3” mandrel bent - in 2004 and up) off-road y pipe to complement your shorty headers and give your explorer a nice and clean rumble while freeing up a few ponies and picking up a mpg or 2 😀…

The following users liked this post: