6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel pump is short in 50 Gall Titan tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Jorvik
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump is short in 50 Gall Titan tank

I just had a new 50 Gallon Titan tank installed in my 2013 Superduty F 350 with the 6.7 diesel and the dealer is telling me that the feed tube is short in the tank not reaching without pulling air about 15 gallons. Anyone else had this trouble and is there a fix?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ford dealer or a Titan dealer, who installed the tank?

If the fuel pickup is to short they (the they who installed the tank) should have extended it.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:21 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to FTE Jorvik.

I've moved your thread down to the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel forum. Several of the folks here have installed Titan tanks in their '11+ trucks so someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I installed mine in a 13 F250, it ran fine when I put the first 10 gallons in to drive it to the gas station, I haven't had it any less then that.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Jorvik
New User
It was installed by a Titan dealer but no-one mentioned the FUEL pickup tube was too short until the Ford dealer was fixing what the Titan dealer messed up. ( a Poorly installed fuel pump on the new tank caused water to get into the tank). After he was done and testing he heard noise coming from the pump (air getting in he said) and it wasn't until he put in over 10 gallons that the noise stopped. However shouldn't this lack of length on the pickup tube be mentioned on the Titan install process. I don't see it anywhere. The Titan 50 is definite deeper than the stock 25 gallon so the tube being shorter makes sense..

Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Stephen Markewich
New User
Originally Posted by Jorvik
It was installed by a Titan dealer but no-one mentioned the FUEL pickup tube was too short until the Ford dealer was fixing what the Titan dealer messed up. ( a Poorly installed fuel pump on the new tank caused water to get into the tank). After he was done and testing he heard noise coming from the pump (air getting in he said) and it wasn't until he put in over 10 gallons that the noise stopped. However shouldn't this lack of length on the pickup tube be mentioned on the Titan install process. I don't see it anywhere. The Titan 50 is definite deeper than the stock 25 gallon so the tube being shorter makes sense..
The concave area at the top where the pump sits makes up for the depth. I have driven mine until my (factory reset dte) said 30 miles. It took 47 gallons to fill up. There was no issues although i would not recc this! I do feel like i hear more fuel pump noise than before but admittedly i made the switch at 200 miles so maybe i just didnt have time to notice. I also put RV silicone around the seal after following the tightening guidelines to help prevent any water from getting into the tank.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Jorvik
New User
I spoke to James at Titan 208.522.1325 who was extremely helpful and will be pleased to be a resource for dealers installers and individuals needing help and info on Titan tanks. He too stated that the sending unit is mounted in a depression that compensates for the tank depth so reaching the total fuel capacity of the tank should n t be a problem . He also suggested that the noise the tech was hearing was from the retrun line and should not continue to be an issue. They also provided me with a MTE fix because the mileage remaining showing is still not correct. I'll take to the dealer with me to have them adjst. The analog fuel readout is correct.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
( a Poorly installed fuel pump on the new tank caused water to get into the tank)
There's a fuel pump on the Titan tank?

Rob

Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by rob17
There's a fuel pump on the Titan tank?

Rob
Id be more concerned about water in the tank. Did the installer admit to that? Does your paperwork state installation error caused water to into the tank? Did the dealer get it out? Does it state none got theough the filter?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 AM
rgreentmcs
Freshman User
I spoke to James at Titan 208.522.1325 who was extremely helpful and will be pleased to be a resource for dealers installers and individuals needing help and info on Titan tanks. He too stated that the sending unit is mounted in a depression that compensates for the tank depth so reaching the total fuel capacity of the tank should n t be a problem . He also suggested that the noise the tech was hearing was from the retrun line and should not continue to be an issue. They also provided me with a MTE fix because the mileage remaining showing is still not correct. I'll take to the dealer with me to have them adjst. The analog fuel readout is correct.
Somewhere on this site are the step by step instructions for fixing the MTE readout, you may want to print a copy. When I took mine to the dealer they didn't know anything about how to do it but when I gave them a copy of the instructions there was no problem.