1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 Just purchased with several problems I could use help with

Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Captain George
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 Just purchased with several problems I could use help with

I made it back to Louisiana and am working on the truck. I drove it from a friends restaurant to where I keep my boat. In doing so again it had no power so I just dropped gear (auto 4sp tranny) and kicked it in the ***. Surprisingly enough it started running much better. Since then I've put on over 50 more miles and it seems to run better each day.
I do have some more issues I need to correct.
After starting I hear a beeping. 5 sequential beeps for 5 times. Any input?
Next is I've gotten the A/C working but! I can hear the fan on high but limited air coming out. Any input here?
Next is it seems to lunge forward each time I go to accelerate. This happens even if I am trying carefully not to give it much throttle. Any input here?
Next is I'm loosing power steering fluid. I believe it's coming from the small canister device on the turbo booster but I'm not sure. I tried watching while the wife turned the wheel, hit the brakes, and combination of both but I just can't find the source. Any suggestions ?
If its the canister device is it fixable without replacing the entire booster?
One more thing. I'm looking for a used bed short wb super cab.
Any input and suggestions you have are welcome.
Thank you
Captain George
99 F250 Super Duty 7.3 diesel
397k miles
No vehicle history available

Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
seems like the truck has been sitting for a while no?
-first i would drain the fuel bowl and install a new Ford fuel/water separator, and start running diesel fuel conditioner with ever fill up!
-beeps could be the seat belt warning chime, door ajar chime etc....
-a/c fan is running and since Ford doesn't have cabin filters its most likely a vacuum line that controls the blend door. Now it could be because the truck has been sitting and the door is sticky..... you could remove the blower motor and use some silicon spray on the blend door hinges and see if that helps
-also look in the plastic cowl on the passenger side and make sure the opening for the heater/ac system is clear and doesn't have leaves or a mouse nest down in there had that happen on my 77 F150 last summer!
-power steering leak um next to the brake pump there is a small canister that has the power steering lines hooked to it they are i believe small orings that seal them (i think) first just try and tighten the fitting if that doesn't work remove the leaking line and make sure the o-ring isn't cut etc and go to a hardware store and buy a new o-ring

Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Captain George
Junior User
I'm not sure how long the truck was sitting. The previous owner bought it from a third party to fix n re-sell. I'm just assuming it sat for quite some time.
I have changed motor oil and tranny fluid as well as filters.
I totally removed the fuel filter bowel to fix a diesel leak, cleaned and changed the filter.
I am running Lucas fuel treatment.
The blower is operating great, as far as I can tell all the doors are operating properly. I can only check the intake near the opening as I am unable to reach up into the duct work.
I will attempt to isolate the booster leak to a more specific location.
The darn beep/ charm noise is irritating. I got to figure this one out.
I really appreciate you input and help. Thanks

Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain George
The darn beep/ charm noise is irritating. I got to figure this one out.
See if anything here helps:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...lly-quiet.html

Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
There is also a procedure in the owners manual, but I can't find one to download to get the steps. If you have the book, look in there.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Captain George
Junior User
I don't have a owners manual but I'm trying to find one.
I also checked your link. Although I appreciate you input, I'm not looking to disconnect the chime. I want to figure it out and correct it.
I am still unable to pinpoint the fluid leak coming from either the power steering or the hydro booster. I still think its the small canister (looks like a miniature oil filter) on the hydro booster. I'm loosing power steering fluid to the point I start to hear the familiar whine at about every 150mi and have to add fluid.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Captain George
Junior User
I worked on my ac today having little success I came up with a last resort before piling my dash. I removed the trim bezel, plugged up all but the second vent from the drivers window. Through this port I inserted a 5gal vacume hose that I had hooked to the output so it would blow. I inserted the hose and routed it toward the third port then down just before the opening then blocked everything off as air tight as possible. I ran the vacume, blowing, for 15 minutes. Turned it off to cool then repeated this procedure several times throughout the day. It actually helped. I believe if I repeat this a couple more days I might alleviate my problem. This is not a perfect fix but it seems to work!!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:58 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
I'm not looking to disconnect the chime. I want to figure it out and correct it.
Ahh - so the chime (either seatbelt or open door) is alarming when the door is closed and the seatbelt connected.

In a non-Ford vehicle that I have, I had the door closed switch stick. It was built into the door latch (instead of just a switch in the jamb like I was used to).

Some WD-40 and working the latch back and forth with a screwdriver took care of that one.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
I don't have a owners manual but I'm trying to find one.
Try this link Ford F-250 Owners Manuals | JustGiveMeTheDamnManual.com

There were manuals for several older F250s there, including your year.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM
inspector1
Junior User
5X5 chime = rear ABS sensor, should repeat every 1/2 hour while running. I think the sensor is on the differential.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Captain George
Junior User
How do I check the rear ABS sensor? Should there be a ABS light on the dash indicating this problem also. I ask because I have no dash signals showing, not even CEL