1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

'98 E350 chassis under a '40 Chevy COE

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 PM
BTRbuilder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 E350 chassis under a '40 Chevy COE

Yep.. well that's the plan anyway. I bought the COE last fall at an estate auction and the plan was to just get it going as is because it just so damn cool. Well, the motor is junk so I had a decision to make. Rebuild the stock motor (216 inline 6) ICK!, swap the motor to something else, or do a chassis swap. I didn't like the first two options because, well, it would still be a 1940 Tank.. I mean truck chassis with a 40-50 max speed and bone jarring suspension. Which leads me to option 3. Body swaps are very common with these old COE's because it actually makes them drive-able, reliable and easy to get parts. I was against it at first because this truck is so original and in such great shape but it turns out nobody really cares because of the reasons I stated above. Anyway, I'm over that now and it's time to start. I picked up a '98 E350 with 157k from my work for cheap, like guilty cheap but I'll take it. The 5.4 motor is good and the rest is good enough. I figure once the body is off I can go through the suspension, brakes etc to get it back to top shape.

So here's the COE...

The Van looks like every other white Ford van on earth.

So my plan is to do the 19.5" 8x6.5 bolt pattern dually wheel swap which will look awesome and allow me to narrow up the front end to fit under the cab. I've heard there are some issues running these wheels on a Ford because the hub diameter is different but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. If anyone has done it let me know.

I guess that's it for now. I haven't technically got started yet but hope to this weekend. I'll be back with questions regarding removing the van body from the chassis and probably a bunch of questions about the 5.4 motor and how to remove the spark plugs

Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Looks like a great cab and bed to begin with---most of the original trim and such all still in place? Those are the little touches that make a project look top notch. Hope to read your progress as this goes along---remember we all just love photos--never have too many of those!

Once the body is off your E350 chassis that would be the prime time to inspect/repair the chassis. There's a few things the body hinders when its in place, rear shocks being one of them.

Plugs shouldn't be an issue assuming they've been changed every 50K miles as is the best practice for the modular motors. There are a few good threads on this issue I'd be happy to direct you to from the V8 Modular Motor forum. The only real caution is careful removal if they're too far over that 50K interval. With the relatively shallow plug holes and their 4 threads its easy to damage them without a bit of caution and prep before removal.

What color and interior will this be when finished?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 AM
BTRbuilder
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Looks like a great cab and bed to begin with---most of the original trim and such all still in place? Those are the little touches that make a project look top notch. Hope to read your progress as this goes along---remember we all just love photos--never have too many of those!

Once the body is off your E350 chassis that would be the prime time to inspect/repair the chassis. There's a few things the body hinders when its in place, rear shocks being one of them.

Plugs shouldn't be an issue assuming they've been changed every 50K miles as is the best practice for the modular motors. There are a few good threads on this issue I'd be happy to direct you to from the V8 Modular Motor forum. The only real caution is careful removal if they're too far over that 50K interval. With the relatively shallow plug holes and their 4 threads its easy to damage them without a bit of caution and prep before removal.

What color and interior will this be when finished?
Yeah, it'll be a treat to work on a van chassis with no body. I'll do everything I can when it's off since it may be ever be more difficult with the COE body on it.

I'll ask about the plugs. My work has pretty good service history on their vehicles so hopefully this one is no different. It is sort of the outcast old one though so who knows.

The body and interior are 100% there. I'm going to leave the body as is and redo the interior close to original. Mainly just recover the seat and paint the floor. It'll be fun to try and hide all the new fancy bits that comes with the new chassis. I plan on running the A/C and heater box if they'll fit.

One of the biggest unknowns for me is how much of the Van wiring harness can I swap in and how much can I get rid of? Not sure what I'mgoing to do with the gauge cluster either. I'm OK with no speedo but the warning lights and other gauges would be nice. Oh the fun.....

Old 06-15-2013, 05:24 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
You'll need to run the donor chassis gauge cluster with the wiring harness since there seems to be an interface between the cluster and transmission, controls its shifting etc---at least that's been my experience.

(I once swapped out a partially defective '97 E250 cluster with a later year E350 diesel version and it caused problems, no speedo or odo and transmission wouldn't shift at speed.)

I'd get an EVTM for the donor chassis year, swap the ECU/engine/instrument cluster complete harnesses into the COE then go about "trimming" any unused accessory wiring. More to the point I'd disassemble the factory connectors, remove the mating terminals for a more professional-looking end product. Here's a few links to good deals on the EVTM's: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Econoline-Wiring-Service-Manual-/360349702394?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53e68418fa&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-FORD-ECONOLINE-EVTM-SERVICE-MANUAL-repair-book-electrical-vacuum-vacume-vac-/281120442992?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item4174158a70&vxp=mtr

HTH

Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Kenord
New User
A little advice offered, take lots of close up pics, and mark everything you take apart,
you will need most of the wiring to make it run again.
I am doing something similar, with a 74 kenworth on a 2003 E450 chasis with a 7.3
I have to use most of the original ford wiring to make it work. it will be a chore , but it will be a sweet ride when finished , for both of our projects.