Sponsored by:

89 Bronco 5.0L 4x4 ECM Question/help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Marie Hogan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 Bronco 5.0L 4x4 ECM Question/help

Hello everyone, my son has a 1989 Bronco 5.0L 4x4.... it's been in the shop now for almost 2 months and the mechanic called and said we needed a new ECM and that I neededto purchase one and bring it to him. That would seem simple however the ECM that was in the Bronco appears to be from a Ford Mustang, the ECM # is E8AF-14A624-AA

From my research and the VIN off of the Bronco the correct ECM should either be E8TF-12A650-JA or E8TF-12A650-FA. How do I know which one is correct without having the OEM computer?

The driver door sticker has the following on on it:
7-54E-R11
E8AE-6E061-ADB

I know those codes are the "calibration codes" (i think )

I have called several places and no one seems to know without having the OEM computer... any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you very much for your time and help,
~ Marie

Oh and the VIN is 1FMEU15N6KLA16883

Old 08-20-2019, 06:37 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 749 Likes on 683 Posts
Apologies for the upfront suspicion, however, I'm getting a taste of "scary mechanic" from what I see here so far.

What has been happening to this Bronco for two months?

It's unusual to see a mechanic ask a customer to get parts. Do you have some kind of deal going with the mechanic where you buy the parts and he does the work and you save some money etc.?

Has the Bronco ever run normally (or at all) in your experience?

The mechanic should be able to tell you what PCM to get.

That having been said: Old Broncos are like Mustangs and Camaros. They often have "cool things" done to them over their adventurous lives, without documentation or standards. I suspect this Bronco, with its 5.0 engine like in Mustangs back then, is the recipient of a Mustang PCM so it could have some more power. Maybe it got a Mustang engine and PCM at the same time. You might be fine getting a Mustang PCM like what is in it. It might be better to get a PCM for a Bronco.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:10 PM
Marie Hogan
New User
Originally Posted by CathedralCub
Apologies for the upfront suspicion, however, I'm getting a taste of "scary mechanic" from what I see here so far.

What has been happening to this Bronco for two months?

It's unusual to see a mechanic ask a customer to get parts. Do you have some kind of deal going with the mechanic where you buy the parts and he does the work and you save some money etc.?

Has the Bronco ever run normally (or at all) in your experience?

The mechanic should be able to tell you what PCM to get.

That having been said: Old Broncos are like Mustangs and Camaros. They often have "cool things" done to them over their adventurous lives, without documentation or standards. I suspect this Bronco, with its 5.0 engine like in Mustangs back then, is the recipient of a Mustang PCM so it could have some more power. Maybe it got a Mustang engine and PCM at the same time. You might be fine getting a Mustang PCM like what is in it. It might be better to get a PCM for a Bronco.

Well that's spot on (sort of).... we had it towed to him as he was a "ford mechanic".... 2 months in I am now just trying to keep cost down since my 17yr old son is flipping the bill for the repairs... here is the history of "Anna" the bronco:

Son bought her in March, she had rust issues and what i assumed some minor tune up issues... i.e., changed valve cover gaskets, intact gasket, map sensor, fuel filter, spark plug wires, fuel regulator, flushed out and replaced coolant and vacuum lines (1 line is still disconnected from egr).... she ran great.. slow as hell.. she has a 10" lift on 38's (uugghh) anywho, he drove her to high school and around town and then we left for 8 days for vacay.. came back and she cranked up and was doing fine.. 2 days later after driving her for about 30 mins he came home and when he put her into park she began to rev out of control (3000rpm) several times and then she shut off completely. We couldnt get her to start back up unless we hit her with ether... she would then run but ran really rich and wouldn't go above 40mph... we noticed the fuel pump kept running (on the rail) and wouldnt shut off. From there we tried to pull codes and she wouldn't give any... the idle would stay around 1100rpm when we would get her running...

Towed her the the shop... mechanic changed the fuel pump relay (even though it was new) he did an electrical check and wasnt getting power from the rear fuel pump... I told him to change it out and he did.. he also found corroded wiring and replaced that... he called and said she was fixed (mind u new pump and rear assembly later) BUT needed to take it for a text drive.. he called the next day and said NO it's not fixed she still wouldn't crank up ether... then he deleted the fuel canister on the rail and said it was full of yuck.. still not fixed... then he took the ECU wire harness from her and plugged it into what he said was a "test" ECU and she seemed to do "great" with the the test computer and then plugged it back into her ECU and it wouldn't start... he called and said she needed a computer and I told him i wasn't going to pay for the part plus his up charge and I would get it myself.. he told me to call Advance Auto as that is where he vought his computers and other stuff... i asked him for the the current bill total and about threw up in my mouth as he specifically told me he wasnt working on her as a profit vehicle and it would keep cost down... I'm about to lose my mind . My son worked his *** off to buy this rusty diamond turd and i have stayed out of it until now.. I feel like he is ripping my son off... however the dad said he thought it was a computer issue from the beginning (he had the code reader)

Anything else i can provide to help PLEASE let me know... just need Anna to come home

Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,163 Likes on 918 Posts
E8AF-14A624-AA is the generic part number for the computer/board. Based on the Calibration Code you posted, 7-54E-R11, you need a PCM with this part number E7TZ 12A650-ATB (easier to search on E7TZ-ATB) or alternate replacement E8TZ 12A650-JA (E8TZ-JA) based on the info posted previously by the resident guru Miesk5 at FSB: https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...uter-list.html

Given the symptoms of continuous running fuel pump(s) and no codes it is a classic symptom of a failed computer.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Marie Hogan
New User
Thanks for the info and response!!

I actually just hung up with a guy from a company on Ohio that Ford put me in touch with. Apparently ford's system for parts don't go back that far and he told me to call this guy.. after about 25 mins he was able to finally pull up the OEM for Anna (bronco) based off the VIN # and the calibration info the OEM computer is a E8TZ-12A650-AGA, I have since called A1 Cardone and confirmed as much as possibly thru them and just ordered the computer thru Rock Auto... we will get the computer 2moro via express shipping and with fingers crossed she will be up and running 2moro afternoon... i will keep everyone posted!!

Again thank you so much for your time and help!! Y'all are GREAT

Old 08-23-2019, 02:13 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Marie Hogan
based off the VIN # and the calibration info the OEM computer is a E8TZ-12A650-AGA,
??

Your first analysis of the replacement ECA numbers was close, then RLA2005 confirmed some #s, but then bought a “AGA” ?? (See Attached).
The E7TZ-12A650-ATB should have been considered and researched initially.

The “E8-x-AGA” in 1989 is listed/associated as alternates for the High Altitude and Heavy-Duty trucks.
But, the “E8-x-AGA” in the 1988 book was for a standard 5.0L configuration, so it will depend on how the replacement you ordered was configured.
Chances are, they will interchange, but you may not get peak performance if not configured for a standard engine.

Do you still have the original ECA ?
The “E8AF-14A624-AA” #, I have seen on the grey plastic ECA connector in the past.
What model code reader is the dad using ? What were the codes ?

The first opportunity to clean out the gas tank passed, so the “yuck” might come back to haunt ye, via the filters, the fp regulator and injectors.
“fuel canister delete” ? What was deleted ? Filter deleted ?

Consider this, before you spend money, ask the crowed out here what they think before you spend, consider it a second opinion (although you will get your money’s worth on opinions).

Remember, you have a 30-year-old now, she’s going to need few lifts and tucks here and there to run like a teenager……
I hope Anna feels better with a new computer.

Attached Images