6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Garret GT3782V turbo rebuildable???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 PM
OriginalOutlaw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garret GT3782V turbo rebuildable???

I removed my turbo from my '05 F350 6.0 to clean it. I was getting a low boost code and my turbo pressure wouldnt go over 25 psi. once i got it out and split it open to reveal the veins, i found that the veins are in bad shape, corroded and badley carboned up. Some wouldnt even hardly move! Also the turbine wheel looks like a foreign object passed through it at some point and tore up the bottom of the fins. I am searching the net, without much luck, to try to find the parts to replace them. I am beginning to believe it must not be possible to replace them. If anyone can clue me in on this turbo i would appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
By the time you get that deep into rebuilding that turbo you're better off to go to Ford and get a reman or get a powermax from Clay at Riffraff (one of our fine supporting vendors). You'd be better of chancing a used turbo if you don't want one of those two options.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
OriginalOutlaw
New User
thats what im thinkin too. it just really sucks cause i just bought this truck not more than two months ago from my local dealer.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by OriginalOutlaw
thats what im thinkin too. it just really sucks cause i just bought this truck not more than two months ago from my local dealer.
Hard for me to see your avatar but if it's a dually you're probably better off going with a stock turbo vs. a Powermax, especially if you do a lot of towing. Are you running any kind of tuner?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM
OriginalOutlaw
New User
non-dually... and ya, i actually bought it to do hotshot loads with. no tuner as of yet, but would like to eventually.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

You might also google Mad Turbo Works (Werks?). They make a direct bolt-in hybrid turbo that's supposed to be pretty dang good too, especially for towing and lower EGT's.

For tuning you need an SCT on a 6.0 with tunes from Matt Robinson. I've heard great things about his tow stuff. His performance stuff is off the charts--LOL.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:47 AM
dc3655
Elder User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Hard for me to see your avatar but if it's a dually you're probably better off going with a stock turbo vs. a Powermax, especially if you do a lot of towing. Are you running any kind of tuner?
I'm just curious why you'd say that he would be better of with a stock turbo vs a Powermax? I just want to see if your ideas are in line with my experiences? I bought a Powermax 6 months ago and I don't like it at all. The EGT's are a lot higher, it seems to spool slower, and my fuel economy has dropped by 2-3 mpg across the board. Also, who is Matt Robinson so that I can contact him for tunes? Thank you.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM
EPI-911
Senior User
Originally Posted by dc3655
I'm just curious why you'd say that he would be better of with a stock turbo vs a Powermax? I just want to see if your ideas are in line with my experiences? I bought a Powermax 6 months ago and I don't like it at all. The EGT's are a lot higher, it seems to spool slower, and my fuel economy has dropped by 2-3 mpg across the board. Also, who is Matt Robinson so that I can contact him for tunes? Thank you.
Matt Robinson is from GearHead performance. He is one of the most reliable tune writers for our trucks and SCT tuners. He has sent me all my tunes for my Truck and I must admit that I'm running a PowerMax 65-71mm Turbo and I do have my motor studded (check sigh for all my junk under my trunk lol) any who I've been running his SRL+ tune as my daily driver. Yes you will lose MPG because it's making so much stinking power and hard to keep the foot off the floor. And I'm also using his 8k Tow tune and unlimited Tow tune. I've had no problems at all with the towing or the tunes.

Personality I couldn't justify spending almost double on an oem Turbo that might have less Turbo lag off the light of start but once the PowerMax is spooled up it's night out. And the lag I've experience is like maybe a second more then my stock Turbo.

My PowerMax is from River City Diesel, so I don't have the different wheel inside, if I kill this Turbo I might try one from werkz but EGT wise I have never had any issues I've actually found myself on average about 100* lower with the PowerMax.

My 2c says PowerMax, SCT tuner, studs, and Matt 's tunes and you will be one happy camper.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Another VERY viable option is to get a billet compressor wheel from MTW for the powermax and change out the cast wheel. It makes a TON of difference in spool from what I've read.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 PM
POORBOY1964
Senior User
Originally Posted by dc3655
Do you not have custom tuning at this time? If not from my understanding a SCT tune writer will be able to help that powermax spool better and that should help your mileage. I know it is advertised differently but any turbo other than stock should have custom tuning done in conjunction with the turbo, in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 AM
dc3655
Elder User
Originally Posted by EPI-911
Matt Robinson is from GearHead performance. He is one of the most reliable tune writers for our trucks and SCT tuners. He has sent me all my tunes for my Truck and I must admit that I'm running a PowerMax 65-71mm Turbo and I do have my motor studded (check sigh for all my junk under my trunk lol) any who I've been running his SRL+ tune as my daily driver. Yes you will lose MPG because it's making so much stinking power and hard to keep the foot off the floor. And I'm also using his 8k Tow tune and unlimited Tow tune. I've had no problems at all with the towing or the tunes.

Personality I couldn't justify spending almost double on an oem Turbo that might have less Turbo lag off the light of start but once the PowerMax is spooled up it's night out. And the lag I've experience is like maybe a second more then my stock Turbo.

My PowerMax is from River City Diesel, so I don't have the different wheel inside, if I kill this Turbo I might try one from werkz but EGT wise I have never had any issues I've actually found myself on average about 100* lower with the PowerMax.

My 2c says PowerMax, SCT tuner, studs, and Matt 's tunes and you will be one happy camper.
Thank you for the good review of Matt's tunes. I've been running another writer's custom tunes and don't feel that they run the turbo properly as my EGT's have been really high and my mileage has been down. I'll contact Matt and try some of his tunes.

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Another VERY viable option is to get a billet compressor wheel from MTW for the powermax and change out the cast wheel. It makes a TON of difference in spool from what I've read.
I've thought about going with a new wheel, or even the batmowheel, but I hate to put more money into this turbo if it can't be tuned properly. I'm tempted to rebuild my stock turbo, as only the seals went out, and at least that way I know I'll be able to get good tuning. I've also thought about getting MTW to rebuild it, but then I get nervous about being able to find someone to tune that turbo. I'll try Matt and hopefully find a good turbo so the rest of this becomes a mute point. Thank you.

Originally Posted by POORBOY1964
Do you not have custom tuning at this time? If not from my understanding a SCT tune writer will be able to help that powermax spool better and that should help your mileage. I know it is advertised differently but any turbo other than stock should have custom tuning done in conjunction with the turbo, in my opinion.
I started running custom tuning that was supposed to be for the PowerMax turbo, but I'm not pleased with it so I'm looking for an alternative. I think I'll try Jody at DP-tuner and Matt at GearHead for some of their tunes. Hopefully I'll find one I like and just run with it. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

You do NOT want a batmowheel for a powermax. You'll be severely disappointed. There are actually a couple of new wheels being tested so you might want to wait just a bit if you can. The wheel makes a HUGE difference in spool just like FICM tuning makes a huge difference in throttle response. Talk to Matt about your tuning issues and I'll bet he can get you fixed.