6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Powerstroke 6.4L Blew Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM
BIVEY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke 6.4L Blew Up

I have a 2008 F350 with a 6.4L Powerstroke diesel engine that just experienced total engine failure.

There is a heavy burn star pattern on all 8 pistons, a few pistons are cracked, a few cylander walls are scored, glow plugs are melted, both heads are cracked with multiple stress fractures in each head.

About 1 month previously, the transmission would not work in tow mode and caused the engine to go into limp home mode. The dealership just replaced the entire tranny as a warranty item. About 1 week before the engine failure, I put in a 5.25 oz bottle of Lucas injector cleaner with a full tank of gas.

The Ford dealership is saying that the star pattern on all 8 pistons is due to high pressure fuel overspray and is evidence that I had a tuner on this engine and that the warranty is invalid. I did not have a tuner. Any ideas of what might have caused this engine failure?

Also, they only ripped down the top half of the motor, not the bottom half. I heard this might have been caused by a cracked crank shaft, but Ford refuses to investigate this possibility. Any ideas on how to pursue Ford on this issue?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
They can scan for codes to tell if you tuned or not. This sounds like all of your injectors were shot or leaking, causing an overfueling condition.

Refer to your owners manual for some options they are in there.

Contact ford yourself..not the dealer.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Copying my posts from the other thread.
Originally Posted by AZPatMan
Diesel's with the star pattern on the pistons is usually due to "custom" tuning - and anywhere from a little to a lot of timing added. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard Ford voiding a warranty due to custom tuning.
There's a few threads on here - and as well on Powerstroke.org that cover this more about the "star" pattern and what causes it.

But in all likely hood, you will not get this covered under warranty.
You're looking at either a new engine/heads or a rebuild.
that's why they're not even bothering to look at the bottom half of the engine - it's probably perfect.
It's the top half where all your problems are at.

The injector cleaner is not your cause...
Chances are - all the damage was done by your previous owner running some very hot tunes - and sorry to say, you're getting the bad results of that.
Those engines can be built to handle it - but sounds like someone didn't take the proper steps

Also - Which pistons were cracked - 7 and 8?
If so, also sounds like the tunes pushed a lot of fuel - causing the system to get stuck possibly in regeneration mode for the DPF - and when it does that, causes those to cylinders to generate a lot of heat to burn off the particulate caught in the DPF's.
And when that happens - it will melt stuff and crack pistons.
This was a known issue for the 6.4's and why people (aftermarket) came up with DPF delete kits.
Also - Very unlikely that this has anything to do with Crankshaft related or your fuel additive.
In all probability, this was all aftermarket tuning that caused this.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I think the full tank of GAS he added is the problem.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Originally Posted by smokewagun
I think the full tank of GAS he added is the problem.
LOL - I think that was a typo. (At least I hope it was.)
I catch myself saying that from time to time as well, saying gas instead of diesel.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have wondered a few times how accurate the timing is on these trucks.
It seems like if one or both of the sensors was skewed or weak, a host of issues could occur, and I don't know if any other sensors would give it away so the computer could throw a code.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear.

How long have you owned the truck? Did you buy extended warranty? If original warranty it's probably a Build 2. If you boight it used, Was it a CPO?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
As stated, im guessing the truck had a previous owner that had a high horsepower tune that permanently damaged the engine.

So many people thro these big tunes on, burn tires at every redlight & drive it like they stole it.

Then when it starts givin problems, they trade it in & the second or third owner gets the end result.

Most Performance tunes shorten the engines life IMHO

If Manufactures could have programming that makes more power, better mpg & the longevity was there,
Don't you think they would sell them this way & win ALL the bragging rights ??

Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BROWN DOG KTM
If Manufactures could have programming that makes more power, better mpg & the longevity was there,
Don't you think they would sell them this way & win ALL the bragging rights ??
I think there is more to it then that. There is no questions asked that for almost every vehicle out there, there are many modifications people do to improve the manufacturers design, including tuning. Everything is so choked down with emissions BS these days that manufacturers hands are tied.

Hence the need and want for aftermarket support.

Im a KTM guy as well, and I have a great example for you if yoru into the 950 ktm's. Think of the water pump, slave cylinder, and fuel pump upgrades.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Why would a vehicle manufacturer truly want to make an extremely reliable vehicle? I've talked to a few owners of various dealerships. Service now supports nearly the entire dealership. Educated consumers, social media and the Internet have brought car sales down to rock bottom prices. Allow room for aftermarket parts, void warranties and charge premium rates on service and repair. Just my $0.02.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:41 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Are you making the claim that the vehicle manufacturers strive to produce a vehicle that will necessarily require expensive service to keep the dealerships busy?

Old 06-13-2013, 04:08 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Good points Guys

I was an Assistant Svc Mngr at Ford Dealership for over 9yrs.

Service does carry the entire dealership.

The mentioned KTM bike mods are Fine Units, luckily all my Super Enduro OEM stock components are still working ok at 13k miles

Ok , back to the regular scheduled programming of the OP Bad Engine :