Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane adjustment Rod????

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:02 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Received 497 Likes on 253 Posts
Octane adjustment Rod????

Anybody "Really know what's going on" w/ these?

The octane rod adds a provision for a fixed octane adjustment. The adjustment is done by replacing the standard zero-degree rod located in the distributor bowl with a three degree or six degree retard rod. This is done only if the engine is experiencing a pinging or engine knocking condition and can not be repaired with the conventional methods (timing adjusted, proper operating temperature, higher gasoline octane rating....etc).

OCTANE

ISSUE:Rough idle, hesitation, poor throttle response, induction backfire and stalls during cold start/warm up may be caused by the poor volatility of some high octane premium grade unleaded fuels (91 octane or higher (R+M)/2). When compared to regular grade unleaded fuel (87 octane (R+M)/2), high octane premium grade unleaded fuel may cause long crank time.
ACTION: Use a regular grade unleaded fuel in all vehicles, except where a premium unleaded fuel is recommended in the Owner Guide. If lean air-fuel type symptoms are experienced, determine the grade and brand of fuel used and offer the following service tips.
^ Advise those using a higher octane grade fuel to switch to a regular grade unleaded fuel. For those using a regular grade fuel, advise them to try another brand.
^ Do not advise using a higher octane unleaded fuel than is recommended for that specific engine. Ford engines are designed to perform best using a high quality regular grade unleaded fuel.
^ Only advise using a higher octane unleaded fuel to avoid potentially damaging spark knock or ping, but do so only after mechanical fixes are ineffective.
NOTE: ALL UNLEADED GASOLINES USED SHOULD CONTAIN DETERGENT ADDITIVES THAT ARE ADVERTISED AS HAVING "KEEP CLEAN" OR "CLEAN UP" PERFORMANCE FOR BOTH INTAKE VALVES AND FUEL INJECTORS.
"Source: Alldata"

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Yeah I don't get the point of these things, retarding the timing 3 degrees by installing an octane rod is the same as retarding the timing 3 degrees by turning the whole distributor body.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I have never even heard of this before now. Is this something that comes factory on our trucks or is it something that a dealership would add to it?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 AM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
I have never even heard of this before now. Is this something that comes factory on our trucks or is it something that a dealership would add to it?
A 0 degree rod comes stock. 3 & 6 degree rods are available.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:11 AM
polarismuddman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the hell? I've never heard of it.....what a bunch of crap, who would want to retard their timing? Not me.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Originally Posted by polarismuddman
What the hell? I've never heard of it.....what a bunch of crap, who would want to retard their timing? Not me.
I question is, what's the purpose of the rod? Why not just turn the distributor & be done w/ it if need be?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ymeski56
I question is, what's the purpose of the rod? Why not just turn the distributor & be done w/ it if need be?
Maybe it's one of Ford's "Better" ideas!!

It would be easier to just turn the dist. if needed, you just know there is gonna be a bunch of crap in the way putting that in...

Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Martika 7.3
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
Maybe it's one of Ford's "Better" ideas!!

It would be easier to just turn the dist. if needed, you just know there is gonna be a bunch of crap in the way putting that in...
Well That Is How They Make Their Money! If You Want A Fast 302, Pocket Port And Polish The Head "3 Angle Valve Job" A Nice Cam, B 303 Is Nice, Pulleys Give A Lil Help, Unilite Dist, Msd Box, Pro Master Coil, And Flowmasters! Thats A Decent Hp Upgrade! Everything Is About Money! Want Extra Hp, Thats What It Takes!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:35 PM
AZ Bill
Senior User
If my memory is serving me correctly, these distributor rods were part of either a possible TSB or a recall related to the early automatic equipped Mustang 5.0 having ping issues after shifting under hard acceleration. The answer to this was to install these rods instead of finding other, better ways to remedy the problem.

Personally, I think they are a answer to a question that was not really asked by anyone with half a brain. All anybody needed to do was back the initial timing back 2 to 3 degrees and test the vehicle for pinging under hard acceleration. Even the most basic backyard mechanic could figure that one out.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Originally Posted by polarismuddman
You've never had ping at 10 BTDC. Neither have I. Not even 16 BTDC. Evidently some people do. They either find the cause, or retard, or pay the consequences.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Originally Posted by AZ Bill
If my memory is serving me correctly, these distributor rods were part of either a possible TSB or a recall related to the early automatic equipped Mustang 5.0 having ping issues after shifting under hard acceleration. The answer to this was to install these rods instead of finding other, better ways to remedy the problem.

Personally, I think they are a answer to a question that was not really asked by anyone with half a brain. All anybody needed to do was back the initial timing back 2 to 3 degrees and test the vehicle for pinging under hard acceleration. Even the most basic backyard mechanic could figure that one out.
But it doesn't just take it off the top of the timing curve right? It removes it (retards)w/ the base timing, and then off the top by default. Timing advance "all in" will be reduced by the same amount?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:19 PM
AZ Bill
Senior User
Correct, it removed timing throughout the RPM range with the octane rod. I never really saw the need for the rod, but then again, I learned how to set initial timing by the vacuum gauge and ping test method. Seems to work fine for me.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
I always thought it was a cheap way to use up the old dist. that were designed for the vacuum advance. After all that is what this "rod" takes the place of.. Right?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
I always thought it was a cheap way to use up the old dist. that were designed for the vacuum advance. After all that is what this "rod" takes the place of.. Right?
I seen and should of grabbed a TFI distrubtor with a vac advance unit(302) on it at the JK last weekend. Can't rember what year car I seen it on....

So they probly are using up old machining and castings till the close bowl dis came out.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
My reasoning on that is, Ford ain't gonna throw anything out they can use.. For example my '97 F-250 is just left over parts.....

That "octane" rod just locks the advance plate in a static position.....

Cheap Bas***ds!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Octane adjustment Rod????