4r100 no reverse @ idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM
DisasterDan
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4r100 no reverse @ idle

Well I just can't get this transmission build down'

1999 F350 SD Transmission rebuilt all new parts.

Problem;
1. No reverse to speak of at idle. it is in gear but not enough line pressure to secure the clutches.
2. No evident 1st gear. it just shoots right past it. even if pulled down into manual 1 . I did see AE command for 1st

This problem is evident with 2 different solenoid packs. One being new sonnax rebuilt unit. Problem will go away if solenoid is unplugged?

Parts; Wire harness plug replaced
2nd new front pump ( even had problem with the old new pump ) new sonnax valves and such. move easily with air and vacum
2nd new Torque Convertor. ( 1st new one didnt have lock up, but the 1st gear problem was evident, reverse worked fine.)
Accumulator body. had a used JW unit. built another using sonnax valve bore tool and new parts.
Main valve body 1st/Rev valve replaced swapped with sonnax HD, stock, and different spring. ***** checked for proper placement. Grey stripped gasket.

Every sonnax item offered was used in the build. trans was tore down to verify everything was correct. All clutch tolerances adjusted to the tight side of specifications. although I feel the reverse clutches have undue wear on them from this pursuant problem.

I have an AE report, I cant post attachments?

I have learned how to pull this trans in less than 2 hours! Trans fluid is very expensive, Transmission mechanics dont want to talk to you ( Local ones anyways)

Testing was done using AE, snap on Solus, Line pressure gauge @ test port. performance chip removed and active.

~~ Tips If you ever see a schematic online. copy and send it to fedex have it blown up 20X28. splurge for the laminant You will have a real cool wall poster and less fingerprints on your laptop screen!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Dan, go to a test page and post a few more times, I think you have to have 25 posts in order to post attachments.

This may sound stupid and basic, especially considering all the work and expertise you obviously have in this area. That being said, are you sure you have your fluid full? If it is low, it will cause some of the issues you describe.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by DisasterDan
1999 F350 SD Transmission rebuilt all new parts.

Problem;
1. No reverse to speak of at idle. it is in gear but not enough line pressure to secure the clutches.
2. No evident 1st gear. it just shoots right past it. even if pulled down into manual 1 . I did see AE command for 1st

This problem is evident with 2 different solenoid packs. One being new sonnax rebuilt unit. Problem will go away if solenoid is unplugged?

Parts; Wire harness plug replaced
2nd new front pump ( even had problem with the old new pump ) new sonnax valves and such. move easily with air and vacum
2nd new Torque Convertor. ( 1st new one didnt have lock up, but the 1st gear problem was evident, reverse worked fine.)
Accumulator body. had a used JW unit. built another using sonnax valve bore tool and new parts.
Main valve body 1st/Rev valve replaced swapped with sonnax HD, stock, and different spring. ***** checked for proper placement. Grey stripped gasket.

You're not going far enough (as in all the way to the rear of the case).
My educated guess is that one of the two low/reverse clutch piston seals is torn or flipped.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
Dan, go to a test page and post a few more times, I think you have to have 25 posts in order to post attachments.
Jason, attachments can only be done with a paid membership.

Also, posts made in the Test forum don't count towards a users post count total. And since a user can't post pad (they'll get deleted) a person just needs to be patient.

Stewart

Old 06-09-2013, 10:10 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Woops, sorry twice Stewart.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
Woops, sorry twice Stewart.
Neither "sorry" was necessary. Especially not the first one.

Not.

At.

All.

Stewart

Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 PM
DisasterDan
5th Wheeling
So I have to make some more posts...

Anyways, I can disconnect the wire harness from the solenoid pack and rev works fine/ good pressure 75 @ idle. swapped packs still the same problem

Rev/low friction pack was air checked for piston travel after assembly

Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DisasterDan
So I have to make some more posts...

Anyways, I can disconnect the wire harness from the solenoid pack and rev works fine/ good pressure 75 @ idle. swapped packs still the same problem

Rev/low friction pack was air checked for piston travel after assembly
Do you actually have Reverse when the harness is disconnected, or just see the pressure rise?
The pressure is higher, with the harness disconnected, because the Shift Solenoids A & B are defaulted to "Off" and commanding OD. When connected, SSA is "On" and SSB is "Off"; it commands Low. You have a different combination of clutch packs engaged when the harness is disconnected, or connected, and the gear selector is in Reverse. You are bypassing pressure loss when you have the that combination. It looks like you still have a L/R leak somewhere.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
The pressure is higher with the solenoid disconnected because the EPC solenoid defaults to max pressure when disconnected. If you only have 75 psi with them disconnected you have a big leak.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The pressure is higher with the solenoid disconnected because the EPC solenoid defaults to max pressure when disconnected. If you only have 75 psi with them disconnected you have a big leak.
Good to know. I didn't think about that aspect of the EPC. I'm still learning. I have a very good understanding of the mechanical aspects, but haven't mastered the electronics and hydraulics yet. Your info always enlightens me. Not all this info can be found in a manual. Thanks for chiming in, Mark.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 PM
DisasterDan
5th Wheeling
well it goes in reverse, no didnt try to actually move the truck.
The "leak" were would this be found? I have rechecked check ball locations, proper valve body gasket, the valves move in the front pump. used in/lb meter to torque valve bodies to spec.

I will be pulling this transmission again/ what should I look for? do different?
The valve bodies, what is the proper way to clean them?

Yes, ASTG manual, 28X32 transmission diagram, blue goo, no red rags, feeler gauges, extra parts, wallet getting thinner.

Happy Fathers Day ...

Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Did you air check the forward clutch? The leak I suspect is in the forward clutch.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 PM
DisasterDan
5th Wheeling
well, I did check the drum and then the completed unit after assembly, I did not recheck after I swapped the torque converter and front pump.

Guess I am going the right direction, going back through this unit just like it had 200k instead of 20 miles LOL

Would you suggest a good paper/rubber kit? I believe this last one was a transpro bag.

I may have missed, done something wrong, but I have had transmissions rebuilt and still have problems. So I would rather learn from my mistakes.
And greatly appreciate any help and advice that comes along.

Scored a complete 4r100 tonight $150. Although I did "borrow" the accumulator previously to show another mechanic how them little valves get "sticky"

Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I've used Transtar parts with good results. Transtar

Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
I use Transtec paper/rubber kits and Alto Products Corp. clutches. They are distributed by Transtar Industries.

Quick Reply: 4r100 no reverse @ idle