Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Loaded up and ready to roll (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Loaded up and ready to roll (pic)

Getting ready to head to Disney for a week. Just thought I'd share my excitement.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Enjoy your vacation Bob, anywhere out with a camper away from home is fun.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Very nice! Enjoy your time and be safe.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
Getting ready to head to Disney for a week. Just thought I'd share my excitement.
Have a safe trip!
Where you are at now looks pretty good to me though....
I'll be pulling mine out tomorrow so I can take the quads for emissions testing. Our trip is first part of next month.....can't wait.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Have fun and be careful. We're pulling out Tuesday for Texas.

Greg, you have to test emissions on four wheelers?!?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:24 PM
celltech
Senior User
Very nice looking rig.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by jeffreyt

Greg, you have to test emissions on four wheelers?!?
Yes, if we want "MC" plates.

Here in Arizona all off road vehicles are issued a small license plate, about the same size as motorcycle plates. Every year we have to pay $25 per vehicle for something called "Off Road Sticker"...it's supposed to fund the program that allows off highway vehicles to use state trust land for recreation. If you never intend on driving or crossing public roads, then all you need is the standard plate (which is called RV plate) and your Off Road sticker and you are good.

If you want to drive on public roads, such as forest roads, then you need MC plates. MC plates require proof of insurance (liability at a minimum) and emissions testing before the state will issue a registration tag. So, in these cases you receive an MC plate that replaces your RV plate. In addition, the MC plate needs two stickers....Off Road and the registration sticker (similar to what we have on our passenger vehicles). The cost to register one quad is between $300-$500 depending on the value.

Here is the thing that many folks in Arizona don't know.....
There are two options for MC registration. Primarily On Road and Primarily Off Road. The second option is only available to you AFTER you have already purchased the Off Highway Sticker. The registration fee for the second option is $3-$7.

So, folks who know about this make sure they purchase the Off Highway sticker First ($25), get insured ($???), get emissions tested ($20) and THEN register the quad ($5). I have to go through this drill every year. The only way I have to transport 3 quads to the emissions station is my toy hauler so I cart that entire thing over there and park right outside. Then I run each quad though one by one. Takes the entire morning.

At least it's only supposed to be 108 degrees tomorrow....today is 112. Super hot.

I can't wait until we get to pack up for our vacation. Forest camping is about 2 1/2 hrs drive from Phoenix and it'll be 70s-80s for the high temps up there with overnight lows in the high 50s. Perfect. Lots of great quad riding and fishing and just being lazy. We sure are going to miss not visiting with Robin this year.....he would normally come and visit us 2 or 3 times during our stay up there. We will definitely have a beer and quesadilla in his honor...he really loved those things.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I can understand the tag, similar to vessel registration. Just never figured they'd need emissions tests.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enjoy your trip, vacations are always exciting..

Old 06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
.... Just never figured they'd need emissions tests.
And that is only because I live in Maricopa County. If I lived in Payson, or Flagstaff or pretty much anyplace besides Phoenix or Tucson then emissions would not apply. Folks who own land or a cabin in the mountains simply register their vehicles in that county and avoid the entire emissions issue.

On the plus side...I can drive my quad to Walgreens if I want and it's totally legal, licensed and insured.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:21 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
You staying in Ft. Wilderness? The wife and I stayed there a week on our inaugural full-time trip back in January. Blew lots of money, but had a great time.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Have fun on the trip and be safe. You staying at the military campground there?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by MTalley
You staying in Ft. Wilderness? The wife and I stayed there a week on our inaugural full-time trip back in January. Blew lots of money, but had a great time.
Yes, the Fort is our second home! We love it here. Made it in about 8:30 this morning, safe and uneventful trip, just the way it should be.

Originally Posted by robbragiel
Have fun on the trip and be safe. You staying at the military campground there?
I'm not aware of a military campground here, do tell! I know of Shades of Green, the military resort. We have stayed there a few times, but much prefer the Fort.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a great time Bob.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, the Fort is our second home! We love it here. Made it in about 8:30 this morning, safe and uneventful trip, just the way it should be.

I'm not aware of a military campground here, do tell! I know of Shades of Green, the military resort. We have stayed there a few times, but much prefer the Fort.
That's the one I was talking about but I think there is another one there also. I'll have to ask the wife and see if she knows.

Quick Reply: Loaded up and ready to roll (pic)