Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

Hey youins, it's June!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I finally got enough juice in the van's battery to get it fired up this morning. There's no leaks in the new heater lines but I still don't have heat out the back. The lines are warm so I know coolant is getting back there. That's a lot of line to the rear there so I'm not getting too worked up about it until I've had a couple more heat cycles to help purge the air from the system.

After I get home from taking the wife to Urgent Care (she's worse this morning) I'll try to get at least one side on the front done today.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Dave, just concentrate on the Mrs. The van can wait.

....but when you DO get back to it, see if they have a bleeder screw on or near the heater box to bleed the air out. Also check to see if the blend door didn't freeze up from sitting.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
i decided to take the day off.. laundry was piling up and my food stocks are depleted.. i may even get in the truck and go for a ride somewhere.. i found some leaf springs that i have no idea what they fit.. but stuck them on the old s-10 and it really made a difference.... now if i had some tires switched around and a muffler i would be happy

Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Cerpindicular
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much would guys pay for a 351m thats been sitting in the back of shop for a year and supposedly has around 70k on it with a rv cam?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm back home from taking the wife to the ER this morning. It turns out she had a pretty bad UTI and moderate dehydration. After the usual tests, they pumped her up with fluids, antibiotics, and antinausea meds and sent her home. She was planning on starting her summer school duties tomorrow, but she's going to have to wait until Thursday. Depending on how she feels later after the meds wear off - I may stay home tomorrow to take her to the doctor.

Brian - it would depend on who was selling the engine (friend or stranger), whether or not it could be set up on an engine stand so I could turn the engine, and how much compression I felt when I turned it. As for a starting number I'm not much help. I've been fortunate to not have to buy many engines. The ones I have bought have been from friends and acquaintances that gave me great (amazing really) deals many, many years ago.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
What Dave said. If it turns over and feels like it has compression, if it looks like the coolant is green and not straight water, and they give you a believable story as to why they pulled a perfectly good engine out of a running car. I would pay $300 for it.

I have gotten not a thing done today. I pinched a nerve in my back last night, so I took the day off as well. RC stopped by and we had nice visit. I'll get off my butt and start doing the final prep for the '51 on Tuesday. Then I can get the Chevelle down there and get that thing painted.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:27 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Unless you can see and hear it run or get a "good to go" no smoke/knock guarantee, its a rebuildable core, and priced accordingly.

If you get it, bring it back to life carefully, since its been setting. Alan and Rc can advise accordingly....

http://springfield.craigslist.org/pts/3786470478.html

Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
hard to say brian.. does it turn free? pull the plugs they tell alot..pull the oil filter and empty it in a clean bowl that can say alot too dont go by the oil on the dipstick..oil settles and looks clean after sitting.. i usually only buy used engines as cores unless i know for sure it is as described.. the last 2 engines i bought that "were good running" were not.. i have learned not to trust anyone's word..not even my own..

Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 PM
cofferjl
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Hope everyone is doing okay. May was crazy for me with finals and then getting my tough truck running. Raced sat night in springdale went well except for a stuck throttle in the second round. First time Ive ever been worried in the truck. Needless to say the truck got a couple extra throttle return springs added. So getting ready for this weekend in Miami ok.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Sounds like a fun time, Coffer. Good luck this weekend!

Good Morning Everybody!

Second cup of coffee is about to be poured and I'm gearing up for the day. I have to get this engine done and delivered and I want to get the rest of the hood stripped on the Chevelle and possibly some primer squirted today. There's less and less on the car that needs to be straightened out, so I hope to have it painted by the end of next week.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 AM
nate69z
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mornin fellas

yesterday i got our cub out and started to mow the lawn and it wouldnt stay running and after a few min of cussin and lookin it over i discovered a 4 inch crack in the side of the block so i pulled that motor off and went to a buddys house and picked up another bigger motor got back hooked it all up and went to put the clutch assembly on and discovered that the shaft was bigger than the old motor guess i shouldv looked before i started but i figured they would be the same the original was a single cly 20hp and this is a twin cyl 22.5 but both kohler so tday i gota run around to a couple places and hopefully find a clutch set up for a 1 1/8 shaft bcus their $300 new and i dont feel like spendin 300 on a stupid lawn mower

Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 AM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Good morning all. That's great news on progress on the Chevelle Alan. I'm finally moving forward on the 1990 Firechicken. Once it, the '04 Beetle and Mustang GT are done, I'll bring the Bronco home and hammer it out in short order. That reminds me, I need to email Rich.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 AM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Dave, I hope the urgent care visit's treatment is dong some good for Mrs Dave.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:57 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Well, I was afraid of that. I'm missing a few parts to finish this engine. Just minor stuff like rocker arms and push rods. I'll swing by the guy's place and see if I can dig them up. I did find the cam, lifters, timing chain and all the head bolts, so most of it's together. I'd really like to button up the top end if I could. He gave me the old fuel and oil pump too, so I won't get the pan bolted back on either. No way I'm using an old oil pump on a new engine.

Anyway, Lunch is about done, so I guess I better get off here and get back to work.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM
1OldFordMan
Logistics Pro

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
This is probably a silly question, but anybody going to Cedar Rapids, Iowa area from ST. Louse area that can haul a BIG box?Have tried Fed Ex/U.P.S. Too big for them, would have to go freight. Got a quote, not door to door, terminal to terminal, almost $150.00!!! Terminal to door, almost $350.00!!! Not that heavy, just big & bulky. Sizes are 65" x 39" x 26", weight is 67 lbs. Plastic interior parts. NO WAY JOSE I'm spending that kinda money. He said hold them, he MIGHT come down sometime or sell them to be picked up here. Alan, you remember all that stuff we picked up. I was gonna ship it to the guy so he'd have it. He asked me to pick it up while we were there. Never shipped anything that big before & had no idea what it was gonna be.

** EDIT **

Just looked at Map Quest, about halfway between Cedar Rapids & Des Moines.

Quick Reply: Hey youins, it's June!