Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Still working on air intrusion issues: want to put in electric primer. Which pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Coccyx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still working on air intrusion issues: want to put in electric primer. Which pump?

Hi
so now I have the nice Start-stumble-stall-crankcrankcrankcrank-eventuallystart life. I don't like it.

I have rust issues and plan to replace my fuel line from tank to lift pump, as well as install an electric primer pump just in front of the tanks, operated by a manual pushbutton. this will be a 'free flow through' style pump, will only be operated to prime before starting.

Q1: This pump can push fuel through the mechanical lift pump, as long as it's just being used for priming for starting, correct? I have read this several places, but I want to be sure I'm understanding.

Q2: which of the following 2 pumps do you think would be better? The difference seems to be the pressure they put out.
More Information for AIRTEX E8012S
More Information for AIRTEX E8016S

thank you very much

Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
both of those pumps appear to be made for gasoline, and will not survive long with diesel. i have a carter on my van for a primer, and it works great. the other pump everybody speaks highly of is the facet duralift pump - commonly used on refer units on semi trailers.

did you see my post in the FAQ thread on top of this forum for how i wired up my pump to run when the glow plugs are lit, so its a primer pump i don't have to think about - i love my system

Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 PM
airdale94
Tuned
I don't understand why not just run off the electric pump. I recently upgraded to a Delphi. I have it wired off a relay. Key on, ignition is the the trigger for the pump. Key off pump is hot with a toggle on/off mounted under the hood. Now if I need to prime the system I just turn the switch on and bleed the air off at the schrader valve.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-FUEL-PUMP-LOW-PRESSURE-FUEL-PUMP-OR-PRIMER-PUMP-3psi-5psi-AIRTEX-E8251-/310621765288?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item48527ffea8&vxp=mtr
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post13003242

Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had this issue - I installed a squeeze-bulb primer into the fuel line just before the water seperator, and that solved my problem(at least mostly), as now it can't drain down any further than that.
The primer-bulb I got was off Ebay, for about $10, and marked Delphi IIRC. The checkvalves in it work nicely, and it really helps if I run out of fuel(and can't keep the motor spinning long enough to get fuel from the other tank up to the pump).

Old 06-01-2013, 12:38 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Originally Posted by airdale94
I don't understand why not just run off the electric pump.
that works fine for many people, but for guys like me who sometimes run waste oils in the fuel, they say that'll kill electric pumps pretty quick. others have various reasons, and at the end of the day, the only real benefit to the electric over the mechanical is the easy priming of the system

Old 06-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Also, I figure reliability is a factor. As it is, with my IDI, there is only /one/ solenoid needed to keep the engine running, and that can be disabled in a pinch. Adding an electric fuel pump just adds one more thing that can fail, and is less reliable than the old system. With a better priming system, who needs electric anyway?

Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
macrobb, i find the electric to be too convenient to go any other way. i also was intentional about making my modifications in such a way that my mother or anyone else could get in the truck and not have to know what to do with extra switches, primer bulbs, or other unexpected things required to get it started.

the only problem with the mechanical pump is that if it fails, it is able to pump fuel into the crankcase, dillute the oil, and blow the engine as a result. so for people burning clean diesel, thats a potential problem avoided by people who eliminate it in favor of an electric.

i'm all in favor of good old simplicity, but i think i've got the best of both worlds. here's the post on how i set mine up https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13157590

Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
That's why I like the idea of a prime pump, it is the best of both worlds. I keep the reliability and simplicity of the mechanical pump and gain the benefit of the electric. If the electric fails, oh well, truck keeps on trucking.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Coccyx
Junior User
Thanks everyone.

Josh - yes I saw your post about your GP - primer pump wiring and setup. I want to achieve the same thing, so thanks. Having it set up so kid - wife - buddy or whoever can just start it up is important.

Chevyeater and Speedwrench - thank for the recommendation on the e8251 pump. Josh thinks the other two I mentioned might not last since they're for gas. I see the e8251 specs say something about upgraded seals for multiple fuel blends, so that's promising.

Macrobb - I appreciate your suggestion of the simple squeeze-bulb primer. I know I have to change out my fuel line anyway so I'm just going to get the pump installed while I'm at it.

Thanks all.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
great idea!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
If you fix the fuel system, you do not need any sort of fuel primer system. My truck sits for weeks sometimes and doesn't have this problem. Any type of primer system is going to be a poor "bandaid" trying to cover up the real problem.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Y'know, Franklin2 has a point.
Thing is, I think the piece to fix is actually a check-valve in the output side of the water filter.
I didn't bother with that myself, instead going for a squeeze-bulb(which has two check-valves in it).

I want to point out that, in the months since I suggested using a squeeze-bulb, I've not actually used that squeeze-bulb for priming. It just is used as a check-valve, and it seems to solve the leakdown problem... Even if one of the return caps is completely open and spewing diesel everywhere.
I've had multiple leak issues, and redid the return system several times, but never had it leak down such that I needed to prime it.

Now, I have had some cold-start issues when it's super cold out, where it feels like I'm not getting any fuel, but the fact that I've got fuel at the schrader valve means that that is a separate issue.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Franklin2
If you fix the fuel system, you do not need any sort of fuel primer system. My truck sits for weeks sometimes and doesn't have this problem. Any type of primer system is going to be a poor "bandaid" trying to cover up the real problem.
That is true, speaking for myself I'm going to do this primer idea for another reason, crappy fuel gauges, crappy odometer, crappy selector valve. I want to be able to prime the fuel system for the times I run out of fuel because the three issues above conspire against me and leave me on the side of the road.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Coccyx
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I agree that fixing something properly is important. But your argument is akin to saying don't bother taking a spare tire with you, because, instead, you ought to fix your real problem, which is that your first tire failed. My truck is 20 years old. The primer pump is in place to to help if (when) I have air intrusion problems again and it will allow me, in the interim, to keep starting my truck and using it for the time it takes to fix the problem

Quick Reply: Still working on air intrusion issues: want to put in electric primer. Which pump?