Aerostar Ford Aerostar

96 Aerostar Transmission Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Steve Aerostar
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Aerostar Transmission Crossmember

Fixing up my fifth Aerostar. This is a 96 I purchased out in Denver two years ago. The timing chain cover is leaking coolant and now we are doing a somewhat medium overhaul of the engine. To remove the engine and 4WD trans we had to take out the crossmember support. The rubber bushings on one end are totally gone. Searching for a new crossmember yielded no luck at dealers and on the net. Does anyone have some suggestions for aftermarket crossmembers or a possible source for a OEM piece. The part number for the crossmember is FO9Z6A023C.

you can email me direct if you would like
sbeck112@bright.net

Thanks
Steve

Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try Green Sales Company Green Sales Company - Obsolete Ford parts, Lincoln, Mercury parts Green Sales Company, supplier of obsolete Ford parts and Lincoln / Mercury parts.* Our Ford parts inventory represents all Ford and Lincoln / Mercury products from 1950 to the present.. They specialize in obsolete OEM Ford parts. Your best bet is to call them. Their website search engine does not work well - in my opinion. I've used them twice with good results but they are a little pricey. I picked up a new crossmember a few years back by special order from a dealer. I imagine most Aerostar parts are listed as no longer available and a lot of parts guys don't want to spend the time to search for you. Also, if he is still around, NumberDummy, was a really helpful member and a Ford parts guru. Might try contacting him if he is still a member.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:56 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I sourced mine through my local transmission shop and they had no trouble getting a new crossmember. I have replaced this part on 2 separate Aerostars.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Steve Aerostar
Freshman User
Thanks aerocolorado, tried green sales with no luck, how do i contact nuberdummy here in the FTE site, i got his profile but do see how to send him a message. KhanTyranitar, i will give my loacl tranny shop a visit today

Old 05-31-2013, 07:37 AM
Steve Aerostar
Freshman User
how to contact numberdummy

Originally Posted by aerocolorado
Try Green Sales Company Green Sales Company - Obsolete Ford parts, Lincoln, Mercury parts Green Sales Company, supplier of obsolete Ford parts and Lincoln / Mercury parts.* Our Ford parts inventory represents all Ford and Lincoln / Mercury products from 1950 to the present.. They specialize in obsolete OEM Ford parts. Your best bet is to call them. Their website search engine does not work well - in my opinion. I've used them twice with good results but they are a little pricey. I picked up a new crossmember a few years back by special order from a dealer. I imagine most Aerostar parts are listed as no longer available and a lot of parts guys don't want to spend the time to search for you. Also, if he is still around, NumberDummy, was a really helpful member and a Ford parts guru. Might try contacting him if he is still a member.
How do i get in touch with nmberdummy here in FTE? i must be missing something where to send him a message. Thanks Steve

Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Steve Aerostar
Freshman User
How do i contact NumberDummy here in FTE? Ive looked at his profile but do see where i can send him a message. I tried Green sales , no luck. Thanks for the help
Steve

Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Aerostar
How do i contact NumberDummy here in FTE? Ive looked at his profile but do see where i can send him a message. I tried Green sales , no luck. Thanks for the help
Steve
Do a member search and it shows how to email him or send him a PM. He is still active and I saw where he has logged in today. I needed his help several years ago and he came through for me.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Oregon_c350
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve, you might just have to get a JY crossmember that is in "better" condition. I don't know how the salt affects bushings, but perhaps a California or Arizona model Aerostar would be a good find. I replaced mine with one from a JY here in Oregon and the bushings seemed fine.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
On my '89, I used an air hammer to knock the old bushing out of the crossmember, and I put "better" ones in from a later crossmember. I don't recall if I had to Dremel off a couple of welds on the bushings or not to remove them.

On my '93, I paid for a new crossmember.

Now, I have the same problem on the '97:

Click here for larger

Click here for larger

Click here for larger

Fortunately, armed with that part No. (FO9Z6A023C), I was able to order it from FordParts.com . I used the option to supply my VIN, so if it's not the correct part, I should be able to return it. It was about $80, which considering that I paid a lot more than that for the one I bought for my '93, I thought was quite reasonable.

Now I've got to go order the trans mount.

Click here for larger

Click here for larger

Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Duplicate post deleted.

Last edited by asavage; 07-12-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Freakin' forum software told me it only saved it once!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
I knew that was too easy. Even though fordparts.com had accepted my order, the dealer called me today and told me the transmission crossmember (FO9Z-6A023-C) is no longer available.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Back in May you said:

Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
I sourced mine through my local transmission shop and they had no trouble getting a new crossmember. I have replaced this part on 2 separate Aerostars.
Could you put me in touch with that shop? I am having zero luck finding one.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
If factory sources can't get one, then there may not be any left to be had. There might be someone who can press out the bushings and install new ones, check with a reputable machine shop, preferably some oldschool operation.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Look at the pics above: they are elaborate bushings with integrated outer shells that are thicker than usual. You're not going to just machine a replacement that still has any elasticity. I've given it considerable thought. I'd rather source the factory part; any fab'd replacement is not going to provide any NVH damping.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
They look like pretty ordinary bushings to me. They really are not very elaborate.

Quick Reply: 96 Aerostar Transmission Crossmember