6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 is close to driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
another spot to check for bad wiring appears to be on near the ABS module along the frame. check that wiring as well.

curious if returning to stock programming has been tried.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 AM
BigDmaxx07
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohmartm
Hi there everyone,

I'm new to this forum and in search of some much needed help for my 2015 F350 6.7 with 58,500 miles.

I'm have pretty much the identical problem as the OP only difference is I have no tuner, 100% stock.

My dad has been a ford diesel tech for 20+ years and we still can't narrow down the problem. I first took it to my dad because he though it was a my FPS, but tested good. How ever we got the same reading as the OP 31,000 on or off at the FPS. Then he thought a short in the VREF GN-VT wire going to the FPS, CPS & TPS was the problem. Tested O Volts at all 3 sensors. We tore the wire harnes down and made sure there was no short or broke wires or bad splices in the VREF wire. All the wires checked out. Ohm test also checked out. Just not getting the signal back.

We tested VREF at each sensor on that Circuit, no VREF. The other Circuits use VREF all had 5v. After this he told me to take it to ford dealer as he thought it was the PCM.

Took it to ford they did their diagnostic and replace the PCM. That didn't fix the problem either. Ford says they want $2k to take out the dash and test the power wires going into the PCM to see if there is a short there. Of chores I won't pay for them to do it as its not covered under the warranty and my dad is very capable of helping me.

If anyone has had this happen I would greatly appreciate any feedback, advice or suggestions that you may have.

Thank you in advance,

Merle

The truck I had the issue with ended up needing the fuel system replaced. Pull the FPR out of the top of the cp4 and check for shavings in it. Contaminated fuel was the culprit the whole time

Old 06-30-2016, 02:36 PM
ohmartm
New User
Thank you for quick response.

I will be looking into the wireing where suggested

I will also be checking out the fuel system. In some ways this makes the most sense as a Diesel shop I go to often recommend "Blue Chem" "High performance common rail diesel system clean & protect" I added it to a full fresh tank of fuel and after one 1 tank after adding this product the problem started. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks again. The advice is much appreciated.

Merle

Old 06-30-2016, 05:28 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ooh, I don't know what that additive is but I hope it's not a water emulsifier....that would break the water content down into little bits and send it through the high pressure pump. Not a good idea.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:55 AM
ohmartm
New User
Ok, I think my truck is possessed lol.

I got in touch with "Blue Chem" and this particular addictive for the diesel I used is not a water emulsifier. Good news.

After this we tested the fuel, no contamination of gasoline or def. despite that we took off the fuel filters to make sure we didn't see any thing abnormal and nothing.

Here's the possessed part, after we put the same fuel filers back on, the truck started right up and ran great. Reduced power went away. We cleared to codes and took it for a spin turned it off and it started up again just fine with no codes. Being baffled by this I was still hesitant to drive it but decide to drive it home and park it for a bit.

We went to leave for dinner and truck would only turn over for a split second then click,it finally started after hitting the key for a few more times. When it started no code poped up in the IDS.

Turned it off, checked all the wiring we unplugged, battery cabels, connector wire to starter, made sure the harness we plugged in properly to PCM, but still did the same thing again and no codes. No clue what's going on now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Merle

Old 07-01-2016, 06:47 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whenever the dfcm is drained of its fuel it is important to purge the air from the lines, normally the fuel filter on the top of the engine is full of air too, so the purge process can take a while. I've had to purge for over 20 minutes on occasion, there's something goofy about it because sometimes in only takes 5 minutes.

I think you should spend about 20 minutes running the key on/ignition on cycle (fuel pump runs for about 30 seconds with each key on). Listen carefully for gurgling or hissing sounds.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:11 PM
ohmartm
New User
Hello all, I just wanted to give an updat to my problem. After countless hours and hours of searching, and replacing sensors, nothing cured it. I decided to replace both batteries (witch both tested just fine) but still replaced them because there was some corrosion on the passenger side positive battery terminal. After I replaced them, it started up and not one problem since.

Mind blown! ������

Thank you all for your input and suggestions!

Merle

Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ohmartm
Hello all, I just wanted to give an updat to my problem. After countless hours and hours of searching, and replacing sensors, nothing cured it. I decided to replace both batteries (witch both tested just fine) but still replaced them because there was some corrosion on the passenger side positive battery terminal. After I replaced them, it started up and not one problem since.

Mind blown! ������

Thank you all for your input and suggestions!

Merle

If you replaced both batteries at the same time then you removed and restored all electrical power from the truck effectively resetting the system. Just a guess but assuming something electronic was hung up.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:00 AM
Keith Kinakin
New User
Did you ever figure it out

I am having exact same problem, have replaced crank senor, frp sensor, throttle body computer and still happening, my next guess is to run a new wire to each sensor for the 5v and if not the star changing plugs and input would help, i couldnt find what your conclusion was

Old 02-17-2019, 01:45 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Hopefully your problem won't come back and all is good. But, if it does, I'm curious of some things. You didn't mention if you have a complete deletion? Of course you can't return back to stock without a lot of change with a full deletion. I have a similar setup with no problems. Try loading your tune to the lowest setting and disconnect the meth kit and see what happens. Installing new batteries of course is like resetting everything electronically. Maybe it was the batteries maybe not. But the timed disconnection can be of help too. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:15 PM
fivehat
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add to the body of knowledge in case anybody else is dealing with this.

I have a 2019, been down for six weeks, in limp mode, throwing P06A6, P0193, P0532 and P0335 codes. Pretty much same as OP. Fuel pressure was spiking at 31,000 psi at idle.
Turned out to be a bad crankshaft position sensor. A 20 minute fix after I printed out this thread and took it to the shop.
Hope this helps someone.
Wish I had known, would have saved me quite a bit of $$$ and down time.