Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Ford Engine Swap Question 86 F150

Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
It's the thought that counts.

Anyway, hopefully we've put it in terms that Hunters understands.
There are always options, but a lot depends on what regulations he needs to conform to.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Yep. And how adept he is at maintaining things. As you know, the original system isn't as easy to maintain as the "stone simple" approach.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
YF Carters have been around since the '30's
They were also used in Marathon cabs.
It doesn't really get more bulletproof than that.

The DSII ignition is amazingly trouble free if it is not messed with.
Again, it just works.... until the module fails 100K miles later.
And then, it's a ~$50 piece that plugs in.

SIMPLE

Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Hunters
New User
Hunters is starting off with a positive reputation.
You all are talking my language now...... stone simple is the way it needs to be for me. There are no emissions needs on this one, and I don't like to keep wrenching to keep it running. I want it to be dependable, problem free as possible.
As I said before, all emission stuff has already been removed, no cat, all pipes under the hood have been cut off and sealed.
I believe the head is cracked and so is the block. So I'd like to put something in that is "stone simple system that is easy to keep running like a top". All help is appreciated as I have not done this before.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
You've been a member of the forum for a while now.

You might want to look at the 300 I-6 subforum to get some ideas.
I never owned one, so I don't have a lot of in depth knowledge.

Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Tips and tricks sticky at the top of that section
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-tricks.html