Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

rear springs on my '86 F250 from a '97 F350 Duallie?

Old 05-25-2013, 06:27 PM
joefritz25
Freshman User
joefritz25 is starting off with a positive reputation.
rear springs on my '86 F250 from a '97 F350 Duallie?

Hi,

I just bought springs from an f350 to put on my 86 f250 but now im having doubts that they will fit. the springs are only 2.25" wide with 10 leafs. my existing springs are 3" with 5 leafs. i later found out the f350 springs are from a duallie.

the new f350 leafs i got seem a little bit shorter too (about 5 or 6 inches).

Can I use these springs on my truck? Will the hanger in the rear shackle account for the difference in length?

What do you guys think? should i try to sell these springs? they are brand new and in excellent condition so i really wanna be able to use them.

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
If it were me I'd take measurements from eyelet to eyelet on both sizes and see if they match up. Are the ends the same width on both sizes, or are the 350 springs narrower everywhere?

Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
No, they will NOT work.

You need a 3" wide spring.
You can use F250 springs, F350 springs or F350 dually spings(they are all the same)

F350 cab-n-chassis springs are 2.25" and will not work

Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 PM
joefritz25
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan View Post
If it were me I'd take measurements from eyelet to eyelet on both sizes and see if they match up. Are the ends the same width on both sizes, or are the 350 springs narrower everywhere?
they are narrower the whole way, even the eyelets. I did measure and they're about 50.5" from eyelet to eyelet where my current ones are about 57.5" or so. I was wondering if there was anything i could do to make these work.

Dieselbrad, thats some bad news. I was pretty excited to get these as they are literally brand new. this stinks.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:47 PM
joefritz25
Freshman User
Is there anything I can do to make these work? My light duty f250 has the same springs as my f150!

I was thinking putting washers as spacers to make up the width in the shackles.

Has anyone used chassis cab springs on a regular f250?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Ken Blythen
Posting Guru
Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Anything can be made to work, but in this case it's not realistic.

Why not return them in exchange for the correct springs? Then everything will bolt up, job done.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 AM
joefritz25
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Ken Blythen View Post
Anything can be made to work, but in this case it's not realistic.

Why not return them in exchange for the correct springs? Then everything will bolt up, job done.
thats some good advice Ken. thanks.

i just got these from a guy selling them on craigslist today, I'll give him a call tomorrow and ask if we can undo our deal. If he says we can't well I'll sure understand.

Thanks everybody.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
The one set of springs you could get that won't fit, and you have them . The only thing you could possibly do is make helper springs out of them. I had a set of narrow springs, and that's what I did when I had a camper on the back of my truck.

My truck has a lift, and the u-bolts for the rear springs stick up with a lot of extra threads on top of the spring. If yours don't, you could possibly get some u-bolts that are taller.

I then made a plate and drilled 4 holes to match the u-bolts when they are tight on the axle. I took the smaller springs, sat them on top of the factory plate that was holding the truck's original springs, put my homemade plate on top of the new extra springs, and tightened it down with another set of nuts(Ace hardware is a good place to find these fine threaded nuts).

So now you have these leaves sitting on top of your original springs, you have two choices. You can make large L brackets and bolt them to the frame like the factory did and use the springs as helper springs. When the truck is loaded down, the extra springs will contact the brackets.

What I did was copy what the aftermarket people do. I took thick angle iron, drilled holes in the angle, and used long bolts to cinch the ends of the new springs down around the original springs. My setup looked like the bottom 2 examples in the picture below.

My setup didn't have that fancy bracket in the middle, since I used the truck's u-bolts to hold it in the middle. And my springs also didn't have that "dip" in the upper ends to hold the ends(they use u-bolts on the ends). What I did was try it, and sure enough, I could drill a hole in the leaf. I drilled holes in the ends of the leaves, and drilled one hole in the middle of my angle iron, and bolted the angle iron to the upper spring to keep it from sliding off since I didn't have the dip in the spring.

Worked good and brought the back end up with that heavy camper and helped with the sway. But it was a rough ride empty. You can take the end pieces off and just let the springs sit there if you want to get the ride back.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
It is possible that your frame already has the L-brackets that serve as the stops for the helper springs. My F150 does but didn't come with the helper springs. If so, bolting your springs on top, as Dave suggested, might work out nicely with the ends hitting the L-brackets when loaded.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 PM
joefritz25
Freshman User
Frankline, wow that is a fantastic idea! i dont think i would have ever thought of that. great idea!

If i do it this way, I can have a smooth ride when unloaded and also have the benefit of the extra capacity, the best of both worlds!

Thanks so much for the tip.

Gary, I'm gonna see if my light duty F250 has the brackets for the helpers. Its not parked at my home so I'll have to check it out the next time i make my way up there.