6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012 F350 6.7 Nightmare :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Taunya Richards
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2012 F350 6.7 Nightmare :(

I've decided to share our story...just because I'm so frustrated...and I need anything at this point to go on.

We purchased a 2012 F350 King Ranch Beast end of December 2012 to replace our 2005 F350 6.0 Liter. This allowed us to upgrade our TT to a fifth wheel. After a week of number crunching, we purchased the trailer and brought it home.

Fast forward to May this year. We set out on our 4 month US trip. We went to the Oregon Coast and across California Hwy 299 (YIKES!) and into Reno. Spent a week there. On the 13th heading out of Winnemucca, NV, we received "Reduced Engine Power" and check engine light. In the midst of 3 cattle trucks. NOT fun.

We limped back to Winnemucca where they told us it was the fuel filter and charged us to replace it. (despite our maintenance & extended warranty)

Engine was good, no light. We hooked up the fifth wheel left town toward Idaho. Same thing.

We limped to Boise. We've been here since.

They have replaced the low pressure pump, the fuel volume valve, a couple of sensors and now they are replacing the fuel rail?

At this point we are beyond angry and frustrated. They keep fixing things and it's NOT fixing the problem.

The tech is just as frustrated...nothing is working. We're about ready to just buy a Dodge and fight Ford to take this thing back.

It just doesn't work. We have the one truck with an issue that even the engineers at Ford can't figure out.

In the meantime, we're stuck in Idaho with a fifth wheel we can't tow with our 60K truck. FRUSTRATING!

Any thoughts...ideas...

Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for your issues and if our 5er was stuck in anywhere but the Grand Canyon I'd be upset too.... maybe that's why I bought Good sam's roadside assistance and extended warranty...
but if I were you I'd call Ford directly !

I know this is an Explorer forum --> 2011 - 2014 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"® but the Ford Customer Care team monitors it daily - even to the point of participating in the threads -- get on there today before the holiday weekend and pm them for assistance.

they regularly will contact regional reps to get owners help...

good luck !

Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Posting up the code(s) from the CEL (check engine light) might help some of the guru's here.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:59 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Ford customer service is also active here on this powerstroke forum
The Official Ford Customer Service “Out of the Office” Thread - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Cory will help you out

Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just be thankful you're not being denied warranty coverage due to the
"water in fuel" bs.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Joe_planet
Senior User
at least you're not considering a chevy, so that's good
too bad about your troubles, hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.. they should quit stabbing at it in the dark and make some educated guesses at to why this is happening.. probably emissions related bullshti..

Old 05-24-2013, 03:57 PM
ccstp
Senior User
Always makes me laugh when people write posts on here and threaten to buy another brand of truck. Lol.... go for it, we aren't Ford and its no sweat off our backs but we ARE Ford fans so if you are asking the community for help its kinda counter productive to insult the brand we like. But whatever... to each their own.

Now, sorry to hear about your troubles, and Im sure you are beyond frustrated but be realistic, these are complicated trucks, and not all dealers are as good as others, but I'm confident that if you work with Ford, they will work with you and get it sorted out. It sucks but like I said I'm sure you will get it taken care of and you are on the right track by reaching out and doing your own research.

It definitely sucks to spend what we spend on trucks and they break down on us bbut on the positive side, at least you have the ability to spend that kind of money, and you live in America haha. Could be worse right?

Hope you get it fixed soon and are on your way ASAP!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
I can understand dumping the Ford, that thought has crossed my mind several times...but don't go off and buy a Dodge. That's worse yet!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Grout-Scout
Junior User
Actually, a dodge with a 5.9 Cummins (2004.5-2006) is the best option available. No EPA emission garbage and a strong motor.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Grout. I must agree. My buddy I race with. We alternate on trucks pulling race trailer. His is a 2005. But a Manuel. But it rides very nice. I cannot tell any difference in pulling power.and fuel economy is the same as my ford. Only thing he has ever done was put a bigger lift pump and line conversion and only did that as preventative measure.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Taunya, could you share some details of what they're telling you? Trouble codes?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM
big inch
Elder User
The PCV (pressure control valve) is located on the left fuel rail, which is why I suspect they are replacing it.That may or may not be the issure, but it sounds as if they may just be guessing at the problem without doing any real diagnosis. If the truck is losing fuel pressure, it could be the high pressure fuel pump. I have had to replace 3 that have failed within the last few months.

I hope they get it fixed for you. I know how frustrating it can be.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 PM
cowboysmikek
New User
TR, do not find anything to laugh about in your post, glad you posted though, was not counterproductive at all you ARE OBVIOUSLY a Ford fan TOO as you bought the rig you did....I'm the victim of a 6.0 POS, dumped it just before it blew up, still have an ecoboost F150 and '92 7.3, have owned a Ford truck since 1986 (a '79 F100 300cc inline 6 with 3 on the tree was my first) unlike some JR users, will no longer give Ford blind loyalty, Ford certainly is not returning that loyalty, have seen HPFP, engine failure and other posts about the 6.7, was waiting to see if there were changes/updates on the '14s, but just don't think I can bring myself to look the wife in the eye and say I'm gonna buy another truck for the kind of $$$ FOMCO is asking and can't guarantee I'm confident in its reliability, already got suckered when I bought a brand new '05 6.0 years ago....shame on FOMCO, for violating our trust and taking advantage of our loyalty, when I buy my Cummins powered truck, won't think of it as disloyal, more like a sucker no longer

Old 05-25-2013, 12:28 AM
mrjc
Senior User
Geez you guys, they asked for help, not validate their feelings. I wonder if they can measure fuel PSI at the HPFP outlet and also at the rails past the valve to see if the pump is putting out its rated PSI? Maybe it is fluctuating in the pump, like cavitation, air getting in the line? They must be back on the road by now, or at the Dodge dealer test driving one. . Big inch, did Ford cover your 3 HPFPs under warranty?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboysmikek
TR, do not find anything to laugh about in your post, glad you posted though, was not counterproductive at all you ARE OBVIOUSLY a Ford fan TOO as you bought the rig you did....I'm the victim of a 6.0 POS, dumped it just before it blew up, still have an ecoboost F150 and '92 7.3, have owned a Ford truck since 1986 (a '79 F100 300cc inline 6 with 3 on the tree was my first) unlike some JR users, will no longer give Ford blind loyalty, Ford certainly is not returning that loyalty, have seen HPFP, engine failure and other posts about the 6.7, was waiting to see if there were changes/updates on the '14s, but just don't think I can bring myself to look the wife in the eye and say I'm gonna buy another truck for the kind of $$$ FOMCO is asking and can't guarantee I'm confident in its reliability, already got suckered when I bought a brand new '05 6.0 years ago....shame on FOMCO, for violating our trust and taking advantage of our loyalty, when I buy my Cummins powered truck, won't think of it as disloyal, more like a sucker no longer
We'll this statement has to be one of the most helpful post's I've seen in a long time next to FrontRunner's!

But since your more interested in the talking points here's some you left out:

The 6.7 Cummins are notorious for:
  • clogging turbo's
  • clogging DPF's
  • CEL's
  • Common theme for these owners to fix these problems is to install deletes and void their warrenty in the process!
Here's some more reading entertainment!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-cummins.html

Quick Reply: 2012 F350 6.7 Nightmare :(