Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have Emergency/Survival kits in their trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Encho
Evan, lift the tire from the ground and that little compressor will fill it (my cheap lighter plug comp. will fill my 31"s without issues), or since you like mods so much, investigate the York compressor installation (Bronco air). Currently I have only tools (lots of) and my roof tent, which is a great space to sleep in (the cabin too).

Great idea for a thread, I would rep you, but I did recently, someone else might do it for me.
Encho, it's like you know me. I have way too many other things that NEED to be done before I could do something like that. The way I see it, I don't go offroad that often, and my tires are practically new so hopefully I won't have any issues there. As for other stuff, I plan to put a set of tools together as well as some spare parts. and basic medical supplies.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Encho
Evan, lift the tire from the ground and that little compressor will fill it (my cheap lighter plug comp. will fill my 31"s without issues), or since you like mods so much, investigate the York compressor installation (Bronco air). Currently I have only tools (lots of) and my roof tent, which is a great space to sleep in (the cabin too). I would add the following to your kit Side:

- Serpentine belt replacement (this fails and forget your mobility).
- A couple of u-joints for the rear axle.
- Some canned goods (tuna is great and endures more than 6 years before going sour).
- A blanket/sleeping bag.

Great idea for a thread, I would rep you, but I did recently, someone else might do it for me.
No problem Encho!

I would suggest though, that people mention if they're offroading a lot, etc..

To kinda get the feel for what others use in certain situations. My "Standard" packs are with my truck 24/7 and only weigh a couple pounds. Go to bringing the toolshed and local supermarket with you, and you'll be adding a lot of weight and taking up space.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great setup you have Sidewinder.
Mine has a first aid kit, 4 ton bottle jack, a socket and wrench set, gallon of water, quart of oil, my tool belt(everything in it), and a few power tools.

Then there is my Dad's 05 F350 CCLB. Which has enough equipment in it to build a house.(Makes sense right? I mean that's what we do for a living )
His carries the tools, and mine does the heavy lifting.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks.

I really meant this to be geared towards actual survival/first-aid stuff (Small tools are fine because it can be useful in a SHTF situation).

Still not equating how powertools and whatnot will get you through the tough times. lol

Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 AM
bootmaker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is wise to have an emergency kit.

It is wise to have one. I do use one myself. I also carry a generator in the back of my truck. The most important thing people forget is water.

If you break down or get stuck I use a GPS. Unfortunately giving GPS coordinates to some small town sheriffs is useless. You can call 911 on any cell phone. Sometimes if it shows no service.

You can go along time without food. Water is your best friend. If lost. It is best to stay in place. Installing a ham radio or CB can also be a good friend.

Small items to have. a mirror to flash sun at planes or copters.

If your stuck in the woods and have food water and shelter. Stay there, enjoy the rest of your life and get out of the rat race.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Thanks.

I really meant this to be geared towards actual survival/first-aid stuff (Small tools are fine because it can be useful in a SHTF situation).

Still not equating how powertools and whatnot will get you through the tough times. lol
Depends what it is. If I'm going on a longer road trip and towing, I normally take my DeWalt cordless kit: Sawzall, 1/2" Impact, and grinder. Batteries/charger go behind the rear seat, plugged into the inverter, which is wired via relay to a "hot when on" circuit, so's I don't drain the truck battery charging the tool batteries.

The only thing I've ever used is the impact, for changing flats etc.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks.

Yeah, I guess I went off topic there. Looks like all have is a first aid kit and a gallon of water then....lol

I really just bring enough to get home. Which is where I'll stay since it has shelter, several food sources, fresh water, and protection

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
bootmaker
Senior User
For a 4x4 a real tractor jack is a must. It can be used to hoist, pull, lift, and be a defensive weapon. My generator carries an extra 5 gallons of fuel. It runs 9000 watts so it can run lights to attract attention or to warm your self, and scare of predators. It can dry wood or other burnable items by placing it near the exhaust and dry socks, shoes. You must keep your feet dry.

I carry tools that all fit my truck.

I carry a tent, New furniture pads, tarps, and fire starters. I also carry an axe, a survival knife wrapped with commando cord. I also carry a shovel, a real one. I carry 12" x 10' boards for traction. Several hanks of rope 100' Long in different diameters. Sometimes even more wood. A compass and a GPS. The GPS is best as it can show you the nearest town or roads and a winch. Also a military survival guide that shows how to build many types of traps and what can be eaten.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I would be fixing your battery cable connections before that leaves you stranded

Old 05-24-2013, 06:21 PM
bootmaker
Senior User
A friend of mine that enters and wins off road racing competitions carries a welder and extra spider gears, another drive shaft and common pieces that often break when your out in the rocks.

He came in third in one of Four Wheeler's "Americas Top Truck Challenges" in his home made rock crawler.

Here is Ferris McCollum

Repairing Broken Drive Shaft

Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I would be fixing your battery cable connections before that leaves you stranded
I know! I've been meaning to do it for a few months now (Those infernal bolts keep gradually loosening up. NOT a permenant repair)

I'm wanting some solder in style terminas with a place to add extra wiring, etc. Any ideas Brad?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
I know! I've been meaning to do it for a few months now (Those infernal bolts keep gradually loosening up. NOT a permenant repair)

I'm wanting some solder in style terminas with a place to add extra wiring, etc. Any ideas Brad?
When I do mine I plan to use 1/0 cable with military style terminals. They allow for more cables to be ran to the terminals themselves. As for extra places to run wire to externally, I would get one of these:

Then you just run a cable from the battery to is and voila, you have a nice stud to extra run wires to.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
This thread reminded me of a situation I found myself in once upon a time.

My sister flew out to Colorado to go backpacking with me for her first trip into the mountains. We drove to this trailhead about 15 miles off the highway, pretty rugged road, about the limit of what my stock F150 can do. Not heavily traveled.. We parked, went off for 3 days, and returned to the truck in the dark around 930pm. I get in, started the truck but had the door open, and immediately smell fuel. Didn't have a fuel leak when we parked. Uh oh. While its running I looked underneath the engine, didn't see anything, then looked back by the tanks, and saw a stream of fuel. Not a little spray but more like how the hell is the truck running if its leaking THAT much fuel from the lines?

Shut the truck off. Crawl underneath. The flexible part of the fuel line had a gaping hole in it right after the filter. An animal chewed my fuel line! I figured I'd run out of fuel long before getting to the next gas station or civilization if it was leaking at that rate, and I didn't like the idea of leaking out a bunch of fuel in the backcountry.

Then I remembered differential vent hoses, and hose clamps on some smaller coolant hoses under the hood that I could barrow for a short time, temporarily replaced with zip ties. I didn't have my usual tool box with me, just the Leatherman I carry backpacking. So I couldn't release the fuel line from the filter. But the Leatherman has a file! So I cut my fuel line with the Leatherman file: just after the flexible section of hose and at the filter tube just behind the snap fitting. Then I slipped the diff vent hose over the filter end, and cycled the pump on a few times to blow any crud out of the 16 year old rubber hose. Hooked up the other end of the hose to the SS hardline, installed two hose clamps, and drove home. Couldn't believe it worked, still can hardly believe that it did.

Not meaning to brag or anything, just thought it was a relevant story to this thread. Weird things happen that are tough to prepare for!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:11 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P
When I do mine I plan to use 1/0 cable with military style terminals. They allow for more cables to be ran to the terminals themselves. As for extra places to run wire to externally, I would get one of these:

Then you just run a cable from the battery to is and voila, you have a nice stud to extra run wires to.
Don't want to get too off topic, but I've been using that exact setup for battery cables and terminals for 5 years now, with no issues. They're a great idea, and very easy to add wiring to. For those that aren't familiar with what they are:

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/imag...5004-1-n-2.jpg

Old 05-25-2013, 02:23 PM
FarmBoyF250
Freshman User
I have a toolbox in the bed of my truck and carry many things. I have.....
two basic first aid kits
many tools
compressor
6 or 7 tarps
3 blankets
tow strap
engine oil
atf
serpentine belt
radiator coolant
4 ton jack
ratchet straps

Thats all I can think of right now but there is probably a lot more in there

Quick Reply: Anyone else have Emergency/Survival kits in their trucks?