Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Just found my truck on YouTube

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found my truck on YouTube

Whelp! After stumbling upon IDIDieselJohn's videos on the YouTube, I happened to come across my 1988 F250 on YouTube Before it became my own. Lets just say I'm a bit displeased with the abuse these boys did to this truck.
Here are the links, Bare in mind I had zero affiliation with these kids, I don't even know them: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9eRZOyE1Nk4

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRzMut_HWUM

Just how bad on the motor was all this ridiculous over-revving assuming worst case this type of stuff was done every day?

Also, can anyone help me get more info on this 757Bronco character? I wish to speak to someone and get some answers about this truck I've got now.

Remember: I never even knew this trucm existed back then (Videos are from 2011)

Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Also, Id like to add when I got the truck, it smoked much worse than what it does in these videos (I got the truck back in April).

Old 06-14-2013, 10:58 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
You could try and contact him here: http://www.youtube.com/inbox?action_...wv5pjPl_YKX_TQ

But it says in the description that it is "his buddy's" truck, so even if you get to talk to him, it's not directly the owner. He'd have to turn over his buddy's name.

With all that cranking, you might want to keep a back up starter just in case.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy **** hes such a ****ing dumb *** idiot kid!

After all that cranking, it fires up on Ether with glow plugs, and revs the nuts out of it!

Damn I hate seeing idiot kids like that own these trucks....or any vehicle for that matter!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 AM
kc0stp
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
After all that cranking, it fires up on Ether with glow plugs, and revs the nuts out of it!
Based on all the smoke coming out the stack Im going to take a guess that his glow plugs wernt working... (notice how quickly it went to the after glow after turning the key on?)

Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
Holy **** hes such a ****ing dumb *** idiot kid!

Damn I hate seeing idiot kids like that own these trucks....or any vehicle for that matter!
When I bought the truck, the guy had to use ether to fire it up. Which tells me the Glowplugs haven't been working for nearly two years, Wow. Unfortunately these type of kids are plentiful (Diesels have become the new Tuner Cars popularity wise)

Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by genscripter
You could try and contact him here: http://www.youtube.com/inbox?action_...wv5pjPl_YKX_TQ

But it says in the description that it is "his buddy's" truck, so even if you get to talk to him, it's not directly the owner. He'd have to turn over his buddy's name.

With all that cranking, you might want to keep a back up starter just in case.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I did take the starter off a few weeks ago, took it up to Advanced, and the machine said it was good (Impressive if its the same starter from those videos)

Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's amazing what sort of abuse these engines will take. To be honest, I doubt he did a whole lot of damage, based on those videos - those revs weren't that high - sounded like /maby/ 2K max. Remember, the engines(at least mine) don't rev that fast, especially cold.
Also, note that these engines have a rev limiter built into the pump; it's pretty much impossible to over-rev it that way. (also, I've learned that if it's a little too advanced, it sounds /horrible/ trying to rev it. Properly timed, it'll go smoothly up to max revs).

Also, I've probably abused my engine more than that - when I got it, the previous owner always had to use ether when cold, and even after replacing all the GPs and controller, I couldn't get it to start at all quickly under about 50-60deg. GPs helped a lot with 'warmer' cold starts, but I've still had to use ether a lot of the time.

Note that, a few months ago, I figured I'd check what sort of damage was done. Got a cheap compression tester kit, found that the max PSI was still in the 400-420 range on all cyls; that's apparently very good. My pump's getting old, though, and seems a bit advanced when cold(which may be part of the problem); it's timed properly at 2k/hot, so driving wise it's fine, but.

Also, I've run my starter far longer than he has -- a good 15s at a time, and it hasn't melted yet(a year+ later), so...