Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Easy-out stuck in head/injector port

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may be able to drill it with a diamond drill, but there's no way you could tap threads in it... I think you're only feasible option is to pull the head.
May the force be with you...

Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Xenthrax
That's what I was thinking, too. However I was thinking that (assuming the easyout is stuck only a 1/4in of the way in) perhaps I can just drive the easy-out through to the pre-combustion chamber, take the head off, open up a valve and the easy out fall into my hand
The pre-chamber goes straight into the cylinder through a small-ish hole. There is no access from the pre-chamber to the valves.

I've tried drilling through easy-outs, never successfully. The bit will most likely wander over to one side and damage the head. If anything I'd try to center punch it so the bit will have less of a chance of wandering, and use a left handed bit.

There may not be an easy fix here. My suggestion to you would be to pull the head and pay a machine shop to fix it, or see if the local junkyard has a head available (worst case scenario, depending on cost).

Old 05-21-2013, 02:40 PM
airdale94
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would concentrate on getting the sleeve out of the head, not the easyout out of the sleeve. Someone else was having trouble with this and they were told to use a slide hammer and a old injector with the head threads ground off. What I would do is try to force something in between the sleeve and the easyout, then use that try to pry or slide hammer the sleeve out.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by airdale94
I would concentrate on getting the sleeve out of the head, not the easyout out of the sleeve. Someone else was having trouble with this and they were told to use a slide hammer and a old injector with the head threads ground off.
^WINNIER^

X2

Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
The pre-chamber goes straight into the cylinder through a small-ish hole. There is no access from the pre-chamber to the valves.

I've tried drilling through easy-outs, never successfully. The bit will most likely wander over to one side and damage the head. If anything I'd try to center punch it so the bit will have less of a chance of wandering, and use a left handed bit.

There may not be an easy fix here. My suggestion to you would be to pull the head and pay a machine shop to fix it, or see if the local junkyard has a head available (worst case scenario, depending on cost).

What could stop me from just punching the easy out the rest of the way through?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:33 PM
carlow
New User
Look back at the cutaway picture.This has worked for me in the past. Take a junk injector and grind the threads off. Weld a loop on top of the injector. Thread it back into the head. Use a slide hammer to pop the whole thing out.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:00 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
What could stop me from just punching the easy out the rest of the way through?
Nothing, granted the easy out will fit through the prechamber hole. Then you just have to figure out how to get it out of the cylinder without trashing it.

If there are still the lower threads that the injector can grab onto using a ground injector and a slide hammer, go that route. Can't tell if that's the whole of what's stuck in there in the pics...

Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by carlow
Look back at the cutaway picture.This has worked for me in the past. Take a junk injector and grind the threads off. Weld a loop on top of the injector. Thread it back into the head. Use a slide hammer to pop the whole thing out.
The injector sleeve is already out. What I'm battling now is the easy-out that was used a while ago to try and get the injector sleeve out.

I suppose I'll have to just remove the head and send it up to a local machine shop.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't knock it through just for the possibility that the easy out may already be resting on the chamber, that may be what stopped it from dropping all the way through.

If you pull the head, flip it over an tap it with a rubber mallet, you may get lucky if it's not jammed in there it may drop out.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
? if the sleeve is out then... what's it stuck in? just the nozzle?

if the sleeve is out then everything should be out of the head unless the sleeve broke and left the nozzle in there

might drop some dry ice or spray liquid duster in there for ****s and giggles (aka make it dam cold)

Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
It's stuck in the head, the hole where the nozzle goes. There's some pics earlier in the thread.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 AM
ifrythings
Laughing Gas
Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, how about welding something on it that you could then hook up to your slide hammer and pull it out? No standard drill bit is going to touch it, there the same hardness, same goes with taps.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ifrythings
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, how about welding something on it that you could then hook up to your slide hammer and pull it out? No standard drill bit is going to touch it, there the same hardness, same goes with taps.
I had that idea too, and I suggested that to the guy who could weld it up for me, but he said that would be a bad idea due to the possible splash from the welding material, like it getting in the threads of where the injector screws into. Thinking about it as well, with the easy-out being stuck in a hole about 3 1/2 inches deep and an inch in diameter that doesn't leave much room for error, either, meaning accidentally welding to the head somewhere in the port.

Unfortunately I know nothing about welding *wish I did*.

Just like /u/Chevy_Eater, I'm never using an easy out on something as critical as a head again.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Xenthrax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by turtlemann14
might drop some dry ice or spray liquid duster in there for ****s and giggles (aka make it dam cold)
That is a fine idea, my friend. What if I were to heat the head up with a propane/butane torch, and spray liquid duster to shrink the easy out? Any risk of cracking the head?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
That is a fine idea, my friend. What if I were to heat the head up with a propane/butane torch, and spray liquid duster to shrink the easy out? Any risk of cracking the head?
just freeze the sleeve. heating/freezing parts is all about thermal shock. you want something to either grow, or shrink faster than whatever its touching if you heat the head there is so much mass there that there is nowhere for the heated material to grow to, so you will actually be shrinking the bore. the sleeve on the other hand should shrink when you freeze it. id try that with the slide hammer trick. you gotta try to get it as cold as you possibly can, before the head has a chance to cool down.

Quick Reply: Easy-out stuck in head/injector port