Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP DTC P0732 Gear TWO Ratio Error

Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 PM
maximusfd
Senior User
maximusfd is starting off with a positive reputation.
NEED HELP DTC P0732 Gear TWO Ratio Error

To start of I have a 2001 F250 164,500 miles, 4x4, with auto transmission and electric transfer case. The truck came with a Superchips 1705 Max Micro Tuner. I was pulling my trailer with my ranger and a fourwheeeler. Before I left out I changed my tune to "tow safe". Everything was fine and every gauge was reading normal. About 20 miles into my trip I was at a stop sign and when I took off 1st gear shifted fine then 2nd gear would not shift. So I feathered the throttle and got it to shift to 3rd and everything shifted fine in the upper gears and no power loses. Every stop after that, the same thing happened. I unloaded the trailer and left it at the farm and reprogrammed the truck to stock and headed home. Now after reprogramming the truck to stock it seems like there is no second gear. The RPMs would just go up and not gain speed. If I could keep the speed up to 10-15 MPH no problems. I do not know where to start. By the way the trans temp never got above 180, and all other gauges were normal. The outside temp is 94 today. Any help would be great.

Thank You.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
If I remember correctly....your symptoms point to a possible problem with the mechanical diode. Unfortunately it means a rebuild in order to fix the problem.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:20 PM
maximusfd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
If I remember correctly....your symptoms point to a possible problem with the mechanical diode. Unfortunately it means a rebuild in order to fix the problem.
Thanks. I posted this when I did not have good cell service. When I got home I did a search and found out the bad news. Thank you for your reply. Would you or anyone else know of a good trans to buy? I am thinking a little more heavy than stock. Or is the stock good enough? It has lasted 12 years.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
If you have the $$$ available John Woods or BTS. Jon is West coast S. Cal and BTS is in Arkensa I believe as far as shipping or going in person goes. They are not cheap but about as bullit proof as it gets.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Pitcrw6
Postmaster
Pitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant future
Your in Texas so I would get a BTS. Brians Turck Shop. About $5500, but bulletproof and a life time warrenty. Just ask Franko72 about his tranny problems he than went to BTS and its the best money he ever spent. Do it once and forget about the worry.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:55 PM
maximusfd
Senior User
Alright I have noticed talk about torque converters. What brand or "kind" should I buy. I plan on buying a reman. From PDQ transmissions out of fort worth. They say there trans have all new or reman. parts with upgraded metel gears, upgraded valves, trans go jr. shift kit better belts and all new gaskets. It also comes with a reman torque converter but I can upgrade it and something about billet. I don't know that's why I am asking. I am lost when it comes to this.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
maximusfd
Senior User
So now I am confused! I found a highly recommended transmission shop in town. I told them my symptoms and they agreed with what has been said here. I tested my luck and drove the truck to the shop. By the way it is in stock and has been sitting for 2days. The whole drive with all the stops not one single problem. It shifted perfectly and got to 150 degrees. They trans shop just called my and told me that they have run diagnostics on my trans, checked the fluids, and drove it 2 different times for various times and distances. They told me my trans was running perfect and all fluids are good. They also said they could not explain what went wrong with my truck and come get and NO CHARGE. So with all that said what the heck happened? Could it be my alternator going bad? I just put 2 new batteries on 2 months ago. Or could be my superchip micro max programmer messing something up. I forgot, I cleared the DTC after the issue and it has not come back on.

WHAT GIVES?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Definitely sounds like a failing mechanical diode....

Had the same problem February 2006, the truck was bone stock too. I could get through 1st gear, 2nd gear, but had to let off the gas for it to go on. I drove it to the dealer later that day and two days later, they replaced the trans with an HD4R100.

It's a strong unit that is still (knock on wood) standing up to the power I'm putting down in my sig.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Definitely sounds like a failing mechanical diode....
I agree with that diagnosis. You have two choices. Rebuild the trans now or rebuild it when itfails completely. It is going to fail. The mechanical diode can be intermittent before total failure.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM
maximusfd
Senior User
Thanks for the help. I think I will drive it tell it fails. Hope that does not mess anything else up. I would like to know more info on the "HD4R100". Like what is in it to make it an "HD". Hopefully I can learn enough about this so when my trans craps out I will be better informed. Again, thanks for the help.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 AM
mueckster
Post Fiend
mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by maximusfd View Post
Thanks for the help. I think I will drive it tell it fails. Hope that does not mess anything else up. I would like to know more info on the "HD4R100". Like what is in it to make it an "HD". Hopefully I can learn enough about this so when my trans craps out I will be better informed. Again, thanks for the help.
Here is a quote from another thread:

FEATURES / BENEFITS
This exciting new product is built with numerous durability and performance upgrades. These include:
• Enhanced Torque Converter for better performance and longer life
• Oversize one piece case bushing for improved durability
• Enhanced Forward, Direct, and Intermediate Friction plates for longer life under heavy load shifts
• All new special upgraded steel plates.
• Center Support Enhancements for improved gear train life
• Mercon V-OIL for greater heat resistance
• Oversize Pump Gear Set for improved oil flow
• Upgraded Extension Housing Bushing for improved durability
• 45 Element Intermediate Sprag for greater strength to withstand heavy loads
• Special coast clutch drum for improved engine braking and increased durability.
• All new iron planetary assemblies for improved durability
• All new one way clutches for improved durability
• All new electronics for improved reliability
• Revised calibration gives better shifts for heavy duty use
• Improved gasketing for reduced leaks.

The diesel version already has the better planetaries, so I really don't see an improvement there. These so called "upgrades" are all things that most rebuilders should address when stepping up from the stock configuration.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:12 AM
maximusfd
Senior User
Thanks mueckster. I have a quote form a trans shop for $2300 for a rebuilt trans with upgraded parts and a better torque converter. I don't know the difference between the HD4R100 and the one form the trans shop. I do not pull very heavy loads that often. Tousley ford has a price of $3122.40 for the HD trans plus whatever it cost to install. I just don't want to over spend on something I do not need. But, I also don't want to have to do this twice.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 AM
mueckster
Post Fiend
mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Thanks mueckster. I have a quote form a trans shop for $2300 for a rebuilt trans with upgraded parts and a better torque converter. I don't know the difference between the HD4R100 and the one form the trans shop. I do not pull very heavy loads that often. Tousley ford has a price of $3122.40 for the HD trans plus whatever it cost to install. I just don't want to over spend on something I do not need. But, I also don't want to have to do this twice.

Thanks
I'd ask your rebuilder to itemize the build to make an accurate comparison based on what you are getting for the money spent. I've never seen the inside of the HD4R100, but by the description it's not anything that your rebuilder should have any problem building in similarity.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
I do not pull very heavy loads that often.
Don't sell yourself short when it comes to this, you only want to do this once. Get it rebuilt and don't go cheap on it.

It's cost me around $3800 to have my HD4R100 installed and still to this day, 7 years, 1 month, and almost 250K later it's still going strong with no problems.

A reuptable shop can build you a good, strong unit, but as Roland was saying, get an itemized list so you know what's going into your trans.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
maximusfd
Senior User
[quote=Toreador_Diesel;13185474]Don't sell yourself short when it comes to this, you only want to do this once. Get it rebuilt and don't go cheap on it.

Very true. I did not think of a parts list. When the trans goes out will have them give me one before any work begins.

Thanks