6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

My 2013 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No 6.7 for me, I just don't like the 6 speed trans. In my search for a 6.0 or a 6.4 I have also been searching for a good Diesel mechanic. I found a good mechanic so I don't have to rely on Ford to fix it. This guy knows the 6.4, 6.0 and 7.3 very well and answered all my questions as he was working on an OBS 7.3. However he did remind me that Diesel emissions testing is coming to PA so I cannot do a DPF delete on the 6.4 or remove the EGR cooler on the 6.0 or the 6.4. So that little bit of information might just keep me in a gas engine. Before I buy anything I am going to install the 93 octane tune in the truck and play around with the shifting pressures and see if that helps.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM
mlux2008
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
No 6.7 for me, I just don't like the 6 speed trans. In my search for a 6.0 or a 6.4 I have also been searching for a good Diesel mechanic. I found a good mechanic so I don't have to rely on Ford to fix it. This guy knows the 6.4, 6.0 and 7.3 very well and answered all my questions as he was working on an OBS 7.3. However he did remind me that Diesel emissions testing is coming to PA so I cannot do a DPF delete on the 6.4 or remove the EGR cooler on the 6.0 or the 6.4. So that little bit of information might just keep me in a gas engine. Before I buy anything I am going to install the 93 octane tune in the truck and play around with the shifting pressures and see if that helps.
I currently have the 6.0 powerstroke. It is an 06 just turned over 100k miles on the clock. I have been down the same road as many others with my truck. I fortunately hooked up with a ford diesel tech that does repairs on the side. His labor wasn't cheap, but it was effective. It is now studded, new oil cooler, stand pipe install, blue spring upgrade, reconditioned turbo, the list goes on. I was also concerned about emissions, but he has a slick trick for that. The EGR has a coolant in and out. He (along with other diesel techs) put a stainless steel dummy plug on each end to prevent coolant from going through. He then runs a SCT tuner that eliminates the check engine light. The physical EGR is STILL there AND plugged in.. Its just not doing anything ... The truck is an absolute monster running down the street. I've been following this thread closely because I would like to not have ANOTHER 10 grand bill staring at me.

If your that serious about a 6.0... Mine is for sale

If you want any thoughts on one.. I'm willing to share anything I know. You did the first thing right when looking at them tho. Find a TRUSTED mechanic who knows these trucks better then there back hand. Its been said many times that the biggest problem with these trucks are people wrenching on them when they don't know what they are doing. The motors are very sensative.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
mlux2008 I had a '06 crew cab dually Powerstroke with the manual trans. I loved the truck when it ran right, left me stranded 3 times in 22 months. I traded it in on the '08 V10 that I have been talking about in this thread. At the time I just took it to the dealer for repairs since it was under warranty but then the Diesel mechanic who worked at this particular dealer left and went to work for another dealership, I was bummed. The replacement mechanic didn't know anything. I had a AFE air filter on the truck and he thought it was a OEM filter. I had after market turbo back exhaust with no cat and he thought that was factory too???? Two months after I traded in my '06 I found the Diesel mechanic I quoted in the post above, I'm still kicking myself for that one. I have referred him to many friends and all of them are very satisfied with his work and the way he does business.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 AM
mlux2008
Freshman User
mlux2008 I had a '06 crew cab dually Powerstroke with the manual trans. I loved the truck when it ran right, left me stranded 3 times in 22 months. I traded it in on the '08 V10 that I have been talking about in this thread. At the time I just took it to the dealer for repairs since it was under warranty but then the Diesel mechanic who worked at this particular dealer left and went to work for another dealership, I was bummed. The replacement mechanic didn't know anything. I had a AFE air filter on the truck and he thought it was a OEM filter. I had after market turbo back exhaust with no cat and he thought that was factory too???? Two months after I traded in my '06 I found the Diesel mechanic I quoted in the post above, I'm still kicking myself for that one. I have referred him to many friends and all of them are very satisfied with his work and the way he does business.
SOO much about owning a powerstroke (i imagine any/all) diesels is having a good, trusted mechanic. Prices are always HALF or sometimes even a third of what it would cost at a stealership. If you know a good powerstroke mechanic, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and drive a 6.0... Granted the oil coolers aren't the best design and the headstuds could have been better.. But if you catch that BEFORE putting serious miles on it.. You can easily get 3-400k out of a good truck. Keep in mind, while a 6.4 is a monster with power. But when something breaks... It will eat you.. Not in labor, in parts. No mechanic can make the parts bill any smaller. With the 6.0 your parts for a full over haul of the top end is 1500-2000 depending on what you buy. Rest is labor... Obviously you have had one already, so you know and understand the power. Best of luck!!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
mlux2008 its funny that you said that about parts prices on the 6.4, my Diesel mechanic said the same thing almost word for word. My mechanic quoted me bewteen $5000 and $6000 to make the 6.0 a towing monster, includes decking the heads, new valve seals,and guides, aftermarket EGR and oil coolers(for emissions reasons) head studs, turbo back exhaust, SCT tuning and some other engine stuff I can't think of right now. Now I can save myself some money and do the exhaust myself, I did it on my'06, I might even tackle the EGR and oil coolers, it would depend on how much down time I have. I think that's a fair price on the amount of work that entails. Now the hard part, finding a low mileage crew cab duallie.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 AM
mlux2008
Freshman User
mlux2008 its funny that you said that about parts prices on the 6.4, my Diesel mechanic said the same thing almost word for word. My mechanic quoted me bewteen $5000 and $6000 to make the 6.0 a towing monster, includes decking the heads, new valve seals,and guides, aftermarket EGR and oil coolers(for emissions reasons) head studs, turbo back exhaust, SCT tuning and some other engine stuff I can't think of right now. Now I can save myself some money and do the exhaust myself, I did it on my'06, I might even tackle the EGR and oil coolers, it would depend on how much down time I have. I think that's a fair price on the amount of work that entails. Now the hard part, finding a low mileage crew cab duallie.
For my truck, it came from California... Bought it and instantly had the mechanic go through it. My complete cost was right at 7 grand. Head studs, egr delete (its still in there, just not being used. So it will pass emission). New oil cooler (you could do a bullet proof cooler if you trust your installer) I also have the SCT tuning and an Edge insight with pyro meter and turbo timer. If your going to have the mechanic do the work, have him do all of it. He will have to rip out the oil cooler and EGR to do the head studs. And with the exhaust, that took me about an hour (having never done exhaust work before). So I would imagine it will take your mechanic a half hour and it will save him a HELL of a lot of time when putting the turbo back on.. It just makes it simpler. I pussed out and put a muffler on, bc I do long trips. Thats up to you.. A straight piped 6.0 sounds awesome lol. My dually just turned over 100k

Also, if you do any towing. I would strongly recommend getting the 2008+ tow mirrors. So much bigger and you look way better. You can see the world behind them!! If you buy them from 1Aauto they sell the ones that will plug and play right into your truck. Pretty slick and so far my best "mod"

Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Those are all good points, especially about the mirrors. After having a '08 and now a '13, I am spoiled.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:14 AM
mlux2008
Freshman User
Those are all good points, especially about the mirrors. After having a '08 and now a '13, I am spoiled.
Probably the best mod i've done. Granted I don't use my truck for "work". Just occasionally towing a car hauler and getting groceries. Best part about it. While those mirrors are quiet expensive from the stealership. They are pretty reasonably priced off 1aauto. I think its 260 for the pair.

Keep in mind the last truck with the 6.0 was in 07. So that will make it AT LEAST a 7 year old truck. Parts are going down in price and more people are becoming more educated about them. I'm willing to bet you could get into one right.

Just make sure you bring your mechanic before giving away your benjamins.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Mmaxed
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my opinion the interiors in the pre '08 rigs are not as nice either. I have thought about an older dually to pull the trailer, but when I go look I am disappointed in the comfort level.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 AM
mlux2008
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mmaxed
In my opinion the interiors in the pre '08 rigs are not as nice either. I have thought about an older dually to pull the trailer, but when I go look I am disappointed in the comfort level.
I completely agree with this^^ the 08+ redesign looks awesome. Not to mention the new bells and whistles. Granted a power fold/extend isn't necessary. But its sweet..

Do the 08+ ride any smoother than mine?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Yeah I know the '08's are way ahead in comfort compared to the older trucks. It's a tough choice, a '05-'07 with a relatively "cheap" engine to fix with a outdated interior or the'08-'10 with a great interior with a really expensive engine to fix. Now if there was a supercharger for the Super Duty 6.2 then hmmmmm.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:16 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Now if there was a supercharger for the Super Duty 6.2 then hmmmmm.
Nothing exactly out for the SD I believe, but there's gotta be folks that can make this happen as there's options out there for the 1/2 ton market (6.2):

Whipple Industries

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2010-2012.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rformance.html

Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Thanks for those links 2000, I have been on Roush's site many times. I had forgotten about that last thread, some good reading there.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
mlux2008
Freshman User
Yeah I know the '08's are way ahead in comfort compared to the older trucks. It's a tough choice, a '05-'07 with a relatively "cheap" engine to fix with a outdated interior or the'08-'10 with a great interior with a really expensive engine to fix. Now if there was a supercharger for the Super Duty 6.2 then hmmmmm.
I've never driven anything with a 6.2 in it... But I stayed at a holiday in last night...

Anyway... The 5 guy tuning seems to make the 6.2 wake up... Have you done the 93 octane tune? What about doing a header back exhaust? Intake?

There has to be a way to get some free (or cheap) power outta it... I understand you don't like the transmission, but its just because it does everything it can to get in the highest gear. Can the fella's at 5 star tuning fix that?

I'm just throwing out ideas... I don't know much (if anythign) about the 6.2..

Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Let's turn the clock back a little bit. After I took the truck to the dealer to look at the trans and they made a few "adjustments" I went home and a few days later loaded up the 87 tune. Drove it around for a few days and when the gas tank was empty I filled up with 93 and loaded up the 93 tune. I drove around with the 93 tune for a full tank and decided to make some changes to the trans by adjusting shift pressures. I plugged it in and got a incorrect vehicle message. Crap. So I called Mike and he said that I had to call SCT as it was a firm wear problem. Called SCT that night (Thursday) and they were already closed so I had to wait till Monday because I got home way too late on Friday. Meanwhile whatever "bug" was in the tuner was wreaking havoc in the trucks computer especially the shifting patterns. Sometimes it would shift really quick into every gear sometimes it wouldn't shift at all and stay in third gear. I didn't drive it all weekend. On Monday I worked a short day and called SCT to get this issue resolved and a hour later I had an updated tuner. I waited a few days and loaded up the 93 tune. My initial reaction is--that's more like it! The truck feels stronger than the first time I loaded the 93 tune. SCT did say there were two updates for the 6.2 engine. I played around with the shift pressures and now it feels much much better, shifting like it's supposed to. Still could use more mid range torque but the rest of the power band is much improved. I towed my tool trailer Monday morning, about 4700lbs, and the truck felt strong not quite V10 strong but really close, lock out 5th and 6th on the hills and let it pull. So bottom line is I will keep it for a while. Let the mods begin. I bought shocks for it a while ago and just didn't want to install them until I figured out what I was doing. I have to install the on board air, paint the cap or just order the one I really want and install the air pressure gauge in the cab.

Quick Reply: My 2013 6.2