1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Double the Trucks Double the Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 PM
ThorsF1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah. Well I have the '51 almost torn down. I just have the drivers side fended to break apart and that is all done. Found a guy to sand blast the small parts and now waiting for my Dad to get a new boaster for out shop. Once we have thatwe can blast the big parts. With that said I have some fibre glassing to do on my boat and then I can roll my MG in and pull the engine and paint it. With that out I can pull the '50 to break down.I hope if goes as well as the '51 did. Go team.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 PM
ThorsF1
New User
Steering column Removal

I have a question for all of you out there. How would I go about pulling the steering column on these trucks? the '51 is to the point now that I am ready to pull apart the cab but need and want to pull the steering column. I am changing out the steering anyhow.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The steering shaft is part of the steering box...you can remove that, and the floor panels and move it up into the cab for removal....or jack up the truck & take it out through the bottom.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM
ThorsF1
New User
Thanks, that is what I was afraid of, oh well I guess it goes with the territory.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM
ThorsF1
New User
So what if I were to heat the column up would I be able to pull it off then? I am assuming of course that it is heated then pressed onto the steering box and left to cool and shrink.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 PM
ThorsF1
New User
I have a quick question for all of you out there. My '50 hood has none of the trim or anything, so my question is where can I find the trim. I have found all of the new stuff but even that does not seem to have the side hood Ford badge, unless I am mistaken. The chrome I do have is pitted and will either need to be replaced or re-chromed. That and I am missing the top chrome bar on the grill. I have the bottom 4 though. I would hate to get an entire new set if I can help it. Well thanks all.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Thors,
You are testing my memory - I think we got all our trim pieces from
Midwest Early Ford - Springfield Ohio.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM
ThorsF1
New User
Hey thanks for the reply on that. Well we got the cab of the '51 unbolted from the frame today, you all know what that means. The cab is ready to come off and we have a bare frame ready for the blaster. As it turns out my Dad's boss got the garage next to theirs and so they are converting it to a blasting booth. So now no need to spend the money to have that done. This week end I hope to take some good pictures of the '50 and roll it into the line up right behind the little MG, which is ready for paint. get that out and start stripping the truck down to frame. With the '51 out of the way we will roll the first MII into the shop and start breaking it down too. Well there is the update on the progress. I should have more pic up this weekend.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:11 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 AM
ThorsF1
New User
Hey thanks for that I am still working on getting some better pics. I will get some today of the '51 now that it is torn down to nothing. I am having a buddy run over and take some good picture of the '50 today. In other news my Dad bought a new sandblaster, thanks Harbor Freight, so now we can get started with the clean up on the '51.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 PM
ThorsF1
New User
Okay folks here is another question that I have. Does anybody have a list of the factor options for the 48-50 F1? Not just the engine options but the others as well.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM
ThorsF1
New User
Alright, initial trials of the new sand blaster. Blasted one of the grill teeth, one with the most damage, one big dent at the point. I blasted the part and handed it over to my Dad who pounded on it for about 10 minutes and got the dent out with no trouble. The man is a magician when it comes to body work. The blaster was great though, took off hours of sanding. Sure I got sand in places I did not even know I had but still is was great. now we need to complete our blasting booth and we are set.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorsF1
Okay folks here is another question that I have. Does anybody have a list of the factor options for the 48-50 F1? Not just the engine options but the others as well.
I can not believe the guy's have not jumped in on this yet. There are some here that can rattle off the whole list of options off the top of there head. And them and others that have like the factory options print out list thingies. They will chim in soon I hope Bud.

So how about them pic's. It's hard to help and give advice on something we can't see. Threads with pics get a lot more attention than them that don't have any. Not sure just why but it is true. You can do it. Being a supporter really makes it a lot easier. And no ads is a bonus as well. And an awesome T-Shirt to boot.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, you might get better/quicker responses if you asked your Factory/Dealer Options question in a separate thread.

I know that back in the day most of the options were not "Factory" options, but "Dealer" options meaning that dealerships installed things like heaters, double wipers, etc. It might be impossible to get a definitive list of dealer options since those may likely have varied from dealership to dealership. Eventually dealerships adding options became too much of a liability to the dealerships as cars became more advanced and "factory equipped" with a lot of the options dealers provided.

I know I've seen visors and running lights and double generators, side mount spares and under mount spares, dome lights and other options on trucks from this era claiming to have been dealer options, but I can't personally vouch for them either.

Good luck!
Jim