Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1973 f250 unleaded or leaded

Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Casey D. Rohr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1973 f250 unleaded or leaded

hi i am wondering if i should run my truck with leaded additive, so is it made to run on unleaded, i live in ny and i was also wondering what i can add to stop ruining my motor with the ethanol in the gas?:

Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Has this truck ever had a valve job? Have the heads ever been removed?

What do you mean stop "ruining your motor?" What is the actual problem you're trying to avoid?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Casey D. Rohr
Junior User
the ethanol clogs the motor, it can make the valves not seat right, it makes a lower octane, rough idle hard to start occaiousionaly it ,will go bad quick (expire) and will have a very negative affect on the motor, shutting off now and then

Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Casey D. Rohr
Junior User
oh and no i have never had a valve job

Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Casey D. Rohr
Junior User
the actual problem im trying to avoid is: i will run it for a while and the suddenly when i want to start it it will cough and sputter, and stalll out

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the valve seats in a 73 are designed for leaded gasoline and as such, a lead additive would be beneficial.

Originally Posted by Casey D. Rohr
the actual problem im trying to avoid is: i will run it for a while and the suddenly when i want to start it it will cough and sputter, and stalll out
I can't understand what you're saying. What happens in between it running for a while, and you suddenly wanting to start it? Do you yourself shut it off and come back, or does it stall, forcing you to start it again? I assume what you're trying to say is that the engine has a hard time starting while at operating temperature. If that's the case, first make sure the choke is open while trying to start it at temperature.

This has nothing to do with ethanol blend fuel. Ethanol places a greater strain on some of the rubber components in the fuel system, but it catches a lot of undeserved blame. The issues you're having are going to happen with or without ethanol because something else is wrong. I think a lot of your claims against ethanol are unfounded. In particular, "clogs the motor" is a very ambiguous statement. Pipes can get clogged, but I don't know what a "clogged motor" would look like.

This is why, when seeking help for a problem, you need to state the problem, not what you believe to be a possible solution.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Wbruiser2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seriously doubt that your issues are a result of ethanol. How did you prove or what was your source that indicated ethanol "clogs the motor"? Running a lead additive won't hurt anything but I really don't think it will fix your problem. But if you could link your source I would love to read it...

Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
AZCFH
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
the only true statement he has made is that ethanol does absorb moisture quicker due to the alcohol content...by no means am i a ethanol for all kinda guy just dont see how it can clog an engine?? ethanol has a higher octane rating than reg gas hence one of the reasons the boys at nascar even use it now..like mentioned rubber seals and such dont like ethanol so much ..so a lead additive wont hurt ,but you probably have issues elsewhere...

Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 AM
firstonraceday
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I think what he may be may be getting at as far as clogging the motor is that ethanol acts as a detergent. These old fuel tanks can have all kinds of crud built up through the years. The ethanol can break loose stuff in the fuel tank which could clog fuel lines, filters, etc. Perhaps that is what he is referencing.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Casey D. Rohr
Junior User
first on race day is right, also when i SHUT IT OFF AND COME BACK it will cough and sputter, some times i dont run it for a while (1-2) weeks so the ethanol can go bad in that time period, the truck sat for 8 years till i got a hold of it

Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Wbruiser2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need to drop your tank and clean it, replace all your fuel lines, and rebuild/clean your carb...

Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM
AZCFH
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
and mention that the truck sat for 8 years sooner...

Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
I run unleaded in my 73 all the time, and if any engine would be cranky with the unleaded it would be the 390. I know its not good on the valves but i've never had them problems.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
It sounds like there are other issues to be dealt with first...

Its an old truck and if it was going to the scrapper (saw the story in another thread) it probably needs some love. I would rebuild the carb and adjust it properly after you change the fluids and give it a tune up. It should run fine on ethanol unleaded blend. I felt the same way about ethanol when it first came out but I eventually got tired of trying to find regular gas and nothing bad has happened that I can blame on ethanol.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:53 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Originally Posted by Casey D. Rohr
first on race day is right, also when i SHUT IT OFF AND COME BACK it will cough and sputter, some times i dont run it for a while (1-2) weeks so the ethanol can go bad in that time period, the truck sat for 8 years till i got a hold of it
This has nothing to do with ethanol. It's a combination of pre-existing fuel delivery issues combined with the fact that the truck sat for several years, which I agree, you should have disclosed right off the bat. I don't know how to drive this point home any further.

Your poor communication has not made this thread any easier. You're here because you want our help; it would only make sense that you do everything within your will to make it easy for us to help you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1973 f250 unleaded or leaded