1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

9K to paint my bare metal truck? Really!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raytasch
Not to the thread but it might encourage someone to paint their own. No fancy paint booth, right out in the open, bugs and all.
I shot the cab of my F4 today. IMO, it will look as good or better as when it came off the assembly line. The urethane is a much better paint than original. I spent a couple weeks part time prepping it, mostly rust free sheetmetal but there were some dents. Not a show truck but I will not be ashamed to drive it. I'll probably have $500. in supplies.
The paint is fabulous Ray, and I like the colour! Is it stock, or did you come up with a custom mix? Sorry I couldn't get more information for you from my PO. Anyway, I know who to come to for a touch up!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 AM
FP
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray, that looks like Glacier Blue from here. Is it?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:20 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
I see what you're saying guys about the price guys, but I think Jim-A is more frustrated about the nonsense outlined in that dialogue more than anything else. I'll be honest, I'm getting to the point in my life that I do not tolerate that kind of stuff and the seemingly universal procrastination among contractors in general nowadays. The rest of us climb out of bed every single day and go to a job where we are required to be on time and get the job done. For example, if a body man came to me right now and said "It will cost $20K to do the body and paint work on your truck, and here's the contract stating that it will be done before Labor Day. If it's not completed, the price will drop by X amount of dollars for each day over", I'd probably not say a word about the price and be tempted to sign on the dotted line. But that will never happen. The same goes for seemingly a huge percentage of plumbers, carpenters, machinists, mechanics, etc. If a carpenter came to me and said "I can't get started until October, but I will be there October 1st, and I will show up each and every day on time until the job is done", I'd say okay, sounds great. But, again, that will never happen. I'm just tired of it. Considering how bad the economy is right now, I still see about 90% of the local contractors around here drag-assing around like the world owes them something, standing customers up, leaving jobs, not finishing jobs, literally refusing jobs because they don't "like" to do certain things, etc. There's a reason that I own a LOT of specialty tools and I try to do a lot of stuff myself when I can. It absolute infuriates me when a contractor even hints that a "regular joe" can't do their job. I despise being held hostage by somebody who does not have the self-discipline to simply get the job done on time as promised.

In the meantime, I have a gigantic hole in my back yard that will hopefully become a swimming pool someday, and I'm having to tolerate pool contractors who show up when they want to and walk away from the job every time they get a fart crossways. But, rest assured, I'm taking notes as to how the job is done, and if my kids or grandkids want a pool someday, I'll not tolerate this again. Sorry, I'll step off the soap box now.
Doc Don't apologize even though I was a small contractor for a stretch I sympathize with you . I deal with them every day . The contract you describe is what I always put in place .

Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My son used to work for Sachse Rod shop near Dallas.. their labor rate was $80/hour.. regardless of the work.. oil change, string wires, fabricate custom metal, sand, paint. thats $3200/wk (one person). adds up fast.

On the green truck, I searched for a painter that would be willing to do the candy paint the way I wanted, take it all apart, paint the insides, put it together, paint the outside..

cause candy is not just the paint itself, but how fast you move your arm in the temperature, with the exact mix.. a little more overspray and you get a broad line.

none of the Austin custom car or paint shops would touch it.
found 1 guy, 75 miles away, shop out in the woods, 15 miles off the main highway. took 9 months elapsed.

each paint cycle was 10 coats.. 3 base, 4 candy, 3 clear. 15minutes between.. (time 9 = 2.25 hours waiting each shoot, we had 9 shoots).

I personally disassembled and re-assembled each stage.

The job was time and materials. I had him come look at the truck before I started finish bodywork, and he said he would want to redo it to insure the finished product was right.

we looked at the doors, which were sandblast warped and I repaired, but would need bondo.. and he suggested finding other doors would yield a better result all around. so I got other doors.

once we got it to his shop, we found one of the front fenders was tweaked, and would take about 100 hours to fix.. I found another fender right quick. (bought a whole truck to get a good left front fender)

but he told me right up front, he was gonna charge me 20% above his normal rate, and sometimes he would have to take an ins job too, cause I wasn't paying him enough to live on.

He kept good records, didn't charge for travel time, and didn't mark up his supplies. I was there every weekend, and I paid him as we went.

Completely frame off job, I supplied the dolly the cab went on. Painted the engine and trans to match.
and when I ruined the tailgate less than 2 weeks after bringing it home, he didn't gouge me to repair & repaint it.

End cost was $15,000, and I consider myself lucky. (but, for the red truck, I am trying desperately not to get a 3 stage paint again!)

Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
In my area Maaco is like the only whole car painter anymore most shops want insurance jobs, hey I don't blame them they went into business to make money not friends. I had a valance panel repaired and primed at a guy that did good painting but my panel was trashed, holes cut around frame horns to run pull chains and if you laid it on the ground usually no more than 2 point touched. He did great but took 2 months. My dad paid $7800 for custom full paint that he removed everything for them but it looks good no waves ect. The DD and what a shop can do sometimes conflict.
http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/kd...dced6.jpg.html

Old 06-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim-A

Put your truck on a trailer and drive it down to Miami. I got a super deal on my F7 .... $2000 including Dupont materials. All the body work was done before drop-off. Its not a perfect paint job but still looks great!! 4 base & 4 clear coats - Dupont Fire Engine Red.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 AM
wallster
Elder User
Jim, I wouldn't be afraid to have a painter who does "side jobs" spray some primer and then Summit single stage red paint (acrylic urethane) on your truck (or even paint it yourself). Most imperfections can be wet sanded and rubbed out. It would get you in your price range and as a daily driver who's going to know the difference. Heck, we've painted stock cars with rustoleum paint (thinned with mineral spirits) and sprayed with an HVLP gun. It doesn't have UV protection but they looked great until the panels got all banged up again. The Summit single stage paint is pretty decent (and inexpensive, about $85. a gallon) plus it's UV stable. My truck was painted with it and I think it looks great without spending a lot of money (see pic below).
Just my two cents.

Wally

1951 F1 - ol' red

Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
I have always done my own body work and paint. Now I have a 1 man restoration shop in my area. He has a high quality downdraft booth and is very good with a gun (as well as all other aspects of restoration), I can use his booth if I want to shoot it myself however he lays the paint down better than I do so I am having him shoot just the final color which is single stage urethane. The cost of him shooting the color is minimal. He shot the entire cab inside and out for $120 which is 2 hours in his shop. It came out great. The serious money or time as others have said is in the hours of body work, priming and block sanding. If you do all of that yourself, laying on the color is not expensive.
The shops are not getting big money for a paint job it is in the body work and prep.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Jim-A
New User
3 weeks of searching the truck is finally in the paint shop

Back on May 14th I started this 9k paint topic. I would like to thank all of you for your input as it really helped me make an informed decission.

I chose a place down in Rock Hill SC "Auto Hause II" that was recomended to me by a fellow that Ive know for a couple of years now. He had a couple of mustangs painted there.

I am paying a little more than I wanted however here is why i am ok with that.

He gave me an honest up front quote in writing.
He will finish the little bit of metal/body work left over from the lying dogs at Man Made Legends. He will block sand every inch of the truck, seal it etc then paint it. Trust me he has a lot to do. He went over the truck with a fine tooth comb and discussed it with me. He will then paint it -- get ready for it! Inferno Red (a Chyslers color) yes red metalic. OMG you know red is really expensive and ... blah blah blah. He did not try to talk me out of it. The labor is 6k. I pay for the materials and I put the fenders and hood back on then align them. However I do not have to pay for anything until the truck is picked up!

So far so good. He told me to bring the truck to him in 2 weeks which i did. He told me within another week he would have an itemized list of materials which showed up in my inbox via email a week later.
I verified that the prices were as good or better than what i could of paid for those products. I signed off on the list then I went and purchased 2 and half gallons of basecoat red. The paint itself was $620.00 bucks for nason. So basically the truck will cost me 7,400.00 plus another $200 to tow it down and back.

That is more than i wanted to pay but after all of the research I feel that's a fair price. BTW he would not do a "daily driver paint job". He words were "This will not be a Barret Jackson paint job but you could show it locally and do very well" No trash bugs, runs or orange peel in the paint.

He has had the truck for 3 weeks now and it will be about another 3 weeks before i get it back. I will post some photos when that happens.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Good deal!!! That sounds very fair, and I like the analogy between a daily driver and Barrett Jackson job. Sounds like this guy has a handle on what is reasonable and what is not. Keep us updated.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Jim-A
New User
Sweet Ride! Love it! thanks for sharing. I am not afraid to paint it myself, I would rather put the time into something else on the truck.
That and I just dont have the place right now. I made a heck of a mess when I sprayed the interior. I thought the wife was going to pop a vein.
Once everything was cleaned up she was ok but it does leave dust everywhere, even using the HVLP gun. Next house I will have a place to paint for sure as I really enjoy working on stuff.

Originally Posted by wallster
Jim, I wouldn't be afraid to have a painter who does "side jobs" spray some primer and then Summit single stage red paint (acrylic urethane) on your truck (or even paint it yourself). Most imperfections can be wet sanded and rubbed out. It would get you in your price range and as a daily driver who's going to know the difference. Heck, we've painted stock cars with rustoleum paint (thinned with mineral spirits) and sprayed with an HVLP gun. It doesn't have UV protection but they looked great until the panels got all banged up again. The Summit single stage paint is pretty decent (and inexpensive, about $85. a gallon) plus it's UV stable. My truck was painted with it and I think it looks great without spending a lot of money (see pic below).
Just my two cents.

Wally

1951 F1 - ol' red

Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jim,
Can hardly wait to see the pics! I always like giving business to people I want to deal with. We had our truck painted for about the same number - there is an awful lot of sanding & prep & labor in a nice paint job.

Looking good over there in North Carolina!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
It sounds like you got a winner of a painter. I'm sure it will look awesome.
Be sure to post pictures as soon as you can. If you can get there and take in progress pictures we would love those too.

We are an easy to please bunch, show us pictures and we are happy.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you got one of the best around. Not many of them do what they promise and on time. And he sounds like he knows exactly what you want. I hate it when they try to talk you into something other than what you want! Can't wait to see the pics!

Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I painted mine in my garage,It's not perfect,It's not show quality,But I did it and the mistakes are mine,I still have people coming up and asking question about it and telling me how nice it is, . It will never win a trophy,or be in a magazine,but it gets me to Home depot,or the land fill or any place else I need to go. It all comes down to how much you want to spend ,and how you will handle the first chip,door ding or dent.

Quick Reply: 9K to paint my bare metal truck? Really!