Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rebuilt carb but now not working???

Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM
FORD4STE
New User
FORD4STE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rebuilt carb but now not working???

I just rebuilt my carb last night. It was my first time. It's the original carb on a 1950 F1. Put it back on this morning and now it seems like its not pulling the fuel over. What could have I possibly done? The pump seems to be pumping cause the fuel line going into the carb was loose and was leaking trying when trying to start. So I don't think it's the fuel pump. I'm at a complete lost on what I could have done wrong. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Do you have a 6 or V8? I believe the carbs are different. The 6 uses a 1bbl Holley 847-FS, 8HA-9510-A. I think the V8 is a 2bbl.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:22 PM
FORD4STE
New User
It's the flathead v8. Which is the Holley 94 carb.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Well, welcome to FTE!

I don't know much about the V8, but there are plenty of folks on here who do. I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon.

I know for the one barrel, the book says to pre-adjust the idle mixture screw and idle adj screw when reassembling. If you have both (I assume you do) can you make any difference by adjusting either?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM
FORD4STE
New User
Thank you and glad to be apart of FTE.
Well I haven't tried to adjust that yet. Not exactly sure how to be honest. There are 2 Screws there but which way to adjust? It just seems like its not pulling any fuel in. So would that be the reason?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Originally Posted by FORD4STE View Post
Thank you and glad to be apart of FTE.
Well I haven't tried to adjust that yet. Not exactly sure how to be honest. There are 2 Screws there but which way to adjust? It just seems like its not pulling any fuel in. So would that be the reason?

Try adjusting the idle mix screw out about 1 1/2 turns. The idle screw won't make much difference until you have it running.

On mine, after it's running, you turn the idle mix screw in until it starts to stall, and then turn it out a prescribed number of turns. Maybe if yours is closed (all the way in) it's not letting any air in. Do you have it choked to start? Does it smell like gas when trying to start it? If it does, then it's flooded (too much gas and not enough air). Can you see gas in the carb? Will it start if you pour a little gas into the carb?

Come on, V8 guys. Help him out!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM
FORD4STE
New User
I'm not really smelling fuel so I don't think it's flooded. So I'm not exactly sure what I had done wrong.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
With it still on the truck, take the upper body off. See if there is any fuel in the bowl. The float may be stuck or hanging up on something.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 PM
FORD4STE
New User
I just took the upper body off and it had a small pool of fuel in it. The float moves freely when I worked while I had it off. So with that said, why is it not pulling fuel?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Does the needle fall down of its own weight when the upper cover is right-side up? When the top cover is inverted, is the tang from the float to the pivot shaft about horizontal?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 PM
FORD4STE
New User
Yes te needle falls on its own and re tang looks to be fairly horizontal.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Pull out the needle and seat, see if there's something in the passage from the inlet to the seat. Blow it out with air. Make sure the seat is drilled properly, you never know.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like a needle and seat issue to me as well. If the pump is pumping and bowl isn't full, that's really all it can be.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Look for a sintered bronze filter hiding at the fuel inlet. If you find one, replace it as either your needle's sticking, the float's set wrong, there's a clogged filter, or you're now out of gas. Assuming that the pump still works, of course.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to FTE Ford4ste! Keep us posted on your progress. I have a similar situation with my 48 F3 (w/6 cyl). Rebuilt carb and it won't start. I've got several things to check out but I'll be looking at my carb based on the advice here. Thanks all!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilt carb but now not working???

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.