Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rebuilt carb but now not working???

Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
49m47
Senior User
49m47 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did you adjust the float height? The kit should have come with a "L" shaped scale.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 PM
FORD4STE
New User
FORD4STE is starting off with a positive reputation.
I actually just took the upper body off and adjusted the float height. I got it to where it will fire. Holding in on the gas pedal and letting it off, it will fire but won't stay running at all. I blew threw the inlet port while float is down and air goes through. Then tried while it was up and didn't let anything pass. It's seems to be a little progress from where I was yesterday but still not running. I'm not sure what else to try now. Anymore suggestions?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM
FORD4STE
New User
Well I can walk out there and give it a turn and it will start on the first turn for like 3 seconds and die. Took upper body off again and there is only about a quarter inch of gas in the bowl. I assume that there should be more than that in there?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Only 1/4" of gas after running for 3 seconds? Are you sure your fuel pump is producing? Can you rig a gravity feed system to the carb?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 PM
FORD4STE
New User
How can I rig one up?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 PM
FORD4STE
New User
I rebuilt my carb because it was leaking. It was running fine before I rebuilt it. So could it really be my fuel pump? I sure it's possible it could go out just like that but I guess I just don't understand.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Disconnect the fuel hose from the pump to the carb (I assume it's not all steel line?) Plug the pump output or run a hose from the pump to a large can. Connect a hose to the line going into the carb, find a funnel that fits it, and pour about a cup of gas into it. That should be enough to run for at least 20 seconds. See if the can catching the pump output is showing a good flow. BE CAREFUL! extreme fire hazard, put the can away from the engine.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 PM
FORD4STE
New User
Ok. I will have to try that tomorrow. Thank you all for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 PM
FORD4STE
New User
Well I went ahead and changed my fuel pump tonight. I am able to start it now but it won't idle at all. I've adjusted the 2 screws on the back side and it didn't change anything at all. Any suggestions now?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 PM
49m47
Senior User
49m47 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I dont want to beat a dead horse as they say but lets go back over a couple things. You said that you rebuilt the carb. For me that means taking every single piece apart and soaking in Carb cleaner for at least a couple hours, depending on the age and number of uses in the cleaner. Then I take each piece and with my compressor I blow air through every hole in every part. Then I take a cutting torch nozzle cleaner and run it through the jets before I put them back in. Every part, every hole needs to be checked.
The 2 idle mixture screws, you should be able to turn them all the way in and then back them out 1 -1/2 to 2 turns and that should be good enough for it to run. But if the ports they are regulating are clogged, you wont see any change.

I would hate to see you go through all this just to find out you have a clogged jet.

Just my thoughts

Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FORD4STE View Post
Well I went ahead and changed my fuel pump tonight. I am able to start it now but it won't idle at all. I've adjusted the 2 screws on the back side and it didn't change anything at all. Any suggestions now?
What 49M47 said...

And if the idle mix screws have no effect, it's either leaking lots of gas in (leaking/blown PV) or you have a big vacuum leak.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Choke it about 1/4 of the way and see if it runs. If it does, you have a vacuum leak or it needs a re-jetting or a cleaning of the idle jet system really badly. Most likely that it has a leak. Find it with WD-40. Don't forget brake boosters as a possible source of a vacuum leak. Most likely there's at least some leak around throttle shaft. Cleaning out the crud may have opened this up and allowed more air to get by. After 60-70 years these shafts typically need to be replaced.
BTW: you did remove the idle jets to clean them, right? They only seat properly when put back into their respective barrels. Also, when you put the gaskets in you checked for alignment of the tiny hole(s) to make sure that they were right side up, yes?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Also, when you put the gaskets in you checked for alignment of the tiny hole(s) to make sure that they were right side up, yes?
When I got my truck, it wouldn't idle. So, I rebuilt the carb. When I was taking it apart, I noticed the PO had placed the gasket over the idle mix hole/port, so it had never idled since he rebuilt the carb.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
... Also, when you put the gaskets in you checked for alignment of the tiny hole(s) to make sure that they were right side up, yes?
Rebuild kits for Holley 94's also have gaskets for the 2110, that are slightly different. Using the 2110 base or throttle section gasket could cause a leak or block a critical port.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM
FORD4STE
New User
When I rebuilt it, I cleaned all ports and revomed all debris. I matched up all gasket from the ones that were on there. All matched correctly. I've got the float adjusted to where the bowl would fill up about half way. Is that where it should be? I used the L shaped square to adjust it. I replaced the fuel pump and that helped a lot. I noticed last night that my throttle adjustment screw was screwed all the way in and still wasn't touching the back of the accelerator pump linkage. It would idle awesome if I held the throttle forward about a quarter inch and ran smooth. So I replaced that screw and got it to idle great. I drove it to the car wash a block away. Ran great. Drive back home and as I pulled into the driveway it died. I then popped the hood and seen gas running out of the carb. Not exactly sure where it was coming from. Waited a couple minutes and it started back up but sounded like crap. Drove it up and parked. So now what I going on? I'm about to take it off an let someone else rebuild it cause something I did went wrong and I don't know what.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilt carb but now not working???

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.