Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions galore. Need help from the experienced! Should I??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
awesome i hope it treats you well! looks very clean. i want those seats so bad!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:06 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Luck keep us posted. I also went from the Expedition platform (Navi) to the Excursion 6.0L!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
from what I have seen around here - dealers are getting mid-20's for any clean diesel Excursion under 100K miles. Several are getting close to 30 for a clean 7.3 or late 05.

Yep!

The high price of a 6.7 crewcab, cost of fuel/gas, and no other alternative to the ex last built in '05 for folks that need/want an Ex and you have less choice and a low mileage unit is more desireable. Bought mine 2.5 years ago w/98k for $24k interior in mint condition. Today prices are similar with nearly 3 year older vehicle.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I brought her (is it ok to call a truck this big a "her"?) home tonight and started my journey with my newest toy.

I've ordered a buncha stuff for it already and I'll be making some modifications along the way.

Hey, first up... I like the stance of the truck, as is, but I'm probably going to switch to bigger (20") rims when I change out the tires. If I want to go a little higher, without going nuts, say 2" higher, what size tires should I be putting on?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 AM
ramsay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
Well, we shook hands at $15,500 today. I'm very happy and will be making the appointment to do the oil cooler/egr delete/programming early next week!

Thanks for the help fellas.
It's your truck I know but if it were me I would not do the EGR delete. My Ex has 285000 miles of which I have put about 50000 and I have had zero issues with the EGR valve. My personal opinion is that this is one over-hyped mod started by those who did not understand the correlation between the Ford Gold coolant and plugged oil/EGR coolers.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
if you want to stay close to factory size i believe 305/55 20 comes in a e rating.

i'm running a non e rated 275/55 20 with 2.5"/2" of lift and it looks good to me.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:07 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ramsay
It's your truck I know but if it were me I would not do the EGR delete. My Ex has 285000 miles of which I have put about 50000 and I have had zero issues with the EGR valve. My personal opinion is that this is one over-hyped mod started by those who did not understand the correlation between the Ford Gold coolant and plugged oil/EGR coolers.
Wow. I can say that you're the first person to tell me to NOT do the delete. My oil cooler is getting clogged so that's gotta be swapped and I wanted to do the SCT custom tuning, along with a Cat delete and perhaps a different muffler, so I figured I'd better get rid of the EGR while I was at it.

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
if you want to stay close to factory size i believe 305/55 20 comes in a e rating.

i'm running a non e rated 275/55 20 with 2.5"/2" of lift and it looks good to me.
Thanks! I'm still kicking around the idea of putting 20s on it. The PO of my truck has a set of 2011 F250 rims (that I'd need spacers for)... so I may go that route, not sure yet.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 AM
jeeplj8
Senior User
Wow. I can say that you're the first person to tell me to NOT do the delete. My oil cooler is getting clogged so that's gotta be swapped and I wanted to do the SCT custom tuning, along with a Cat delete and perhaps a different muffler, so I figured I'd better get rid of the EGR while I was at it.

I had almost 220K on my 6.0 when I traded it, with still functioning EGR. The actual valve had been replaced once, but the cooler was original. While it is a true statement that the oil cooler clogging is a result of the silicate formula in the Ford Gold coolant, the EGR is still a problem area on the 6.0. They clog, both the valve and the cooler. And the result is high temp exhaust going where you don't really want it. The only donwside I aware of in the EGR delete is a possible loss of some MPG, but it is small to be sure. If I were replacing the oil cooler, I would not even think about, do the EGR delete.

Thanks! I'm still kicking around the idea of putting 20s on it. The PO of my truck has a set of 2011 F250 rims (that I'd need spacers for)... so I may go that route, not sure yet.
you can find some 20's with correct offset that will fit without spacers. I was about to do that when I decided to just get a new truck. I spent some time on the phone with the guy who everyone recommends for spacers. One thing about it that concerned me was just how much more unsprung weight you end up with. The spacers are 20 pounds a piece. Then a heavier wheel, and a heavier tire...I just did not want to be doing ball joints every 50K miles.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jeeplj8

you can find some 20's with correct offset that will fit without spacers. I was about to do that when I decided to just get a new truck. I spent some time on the phone with the guy who everyone recommends for spacers. One thing about it that concerned me was just how much more unsprung weight you end up with. The spacers are 20 pounds a piece. Then a heavier wheel, and a heavier tire...I just did not want to be doing ball joints every 50K miles.

ahhh, excellent point about the ball joints, this beast already needs them done. I'll go with aftermarket wheels (if i go that route) for sure. Thanks!!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 AM
CRobertson
Freshman User
ahhh, excellent point about the ball joints, this beast already needs them done. I'll go with aftermarket wheels (if i go that route) for sure. Thanks!!
Should you need to do your ball joints and have never done them before, I highly recommend you check out Wranglerstar's video on YouTube. He does an excellent step by step video. I followed these steps and had a relatively simple project, however, I would have a torch handy to heat the steering knuckle to help release the ball joint.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by CRobertson
Should you need to do your ball joints and have never done them before, I highly recommend you check out Wranglerstar's video on YouTube. He does an excellent step by step video. I followed these steps and had a relatively simple project, however, I would have a torch handy to heat the steering knuckle to help release the ball joint.
Thanks! I will check it out for sure.