1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My dailey C4 chuckle

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My dailey C4 chuckle

Since a few of you are following the comedy wich Im calling, "the silly C4 from EBAY". I figured you mite get a chuckle from last nights episode, After successfully re hanging the exaust system, I figured ,Heah I may as well start pummping at least the 7 quarts of ATF I had on hand, and pick up a few more later. I pumped a quart in and took a quick look (no drips cool) so I continued with another 3 1/2 quarts, took another quick look and uh oh, a river of ATF by this time to the tail gate, I forgot i hadnt put in the driveshaft "AND YOKE". At this point In my life I just have to laugh at myself, wich I did. By the time I got the yoke in and the mess cleaned up .I was covered in ATF incluing my hair wich reaches 2/3 the way down My back . Ok now its time for the rear niversal joint right?, wrong it's 1/4"too long, LOL I dont know , the yoke is in to where it was B4, Iv'e loosed the new xmember, still no go, now Im taking out the rear spring ubolts to see if that helps, Ill try again tomorrow. Stay tuned for more fun with "the silly C4 from EBAY". I hope you get a laugh out of this ,I am.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
We probably won't admit it, but I'm sure everyone has had their moment of
"What was I thinking".

Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I wouldn't take the Ubolts off the springs, there's nothing to be gained there. How much more can the front yoke move in before it bottoms? If you've got an inch beyond where it sits with the rear joint in place, you should be OK.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jim, I have had quite a few like that on my truck. It is healthy to be able to laugh at it, but sometimes I have a hard time laughing. Good luck with it, hope you get it to fit.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I wouldn't take the Ubolts off the springs, there's nothing to be gained there. How much more can the front yoke move in before it bottoms? If you've got an inch beyond where it sits with the rear joint in place, you should be OK.
Hi Ross, The yoke is in utill it bottoms, it still has at least an inch of shinny shaft left like it was on the old tranny. The tailshft is the same legnth as the old? The old tranny was a 68, the new is a 70. I measured there legnth b4 and if I remember corectly they are the same legnth. I guess I could drain it and measure the yoke in the old tranny. If you have any thoughts, they are welcome to say the least. Thank you

Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Murphy's Law I suppose.......stuff happens......just don't give up! Tomorrow will be a better day.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Jim, if it's bottomed and is still a 1/4" too long, you need it shortened at least 1-1/4", maybe more. This site tells you how to measure: Dennys Driveshaft How To Measure Correctly for driveshafts that fit right

Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UTBJim if you still have the old tranny take the yoke and put in the old tranny and see if you have the same depth on the yoke spline, maybe a differents in the depth the yoke is going into tranny. Put the yoke/spline all the way in the tranny then pull it out an inch should be where it should be to give it room to move during normal use.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Some of the c4's have a rubber on the output shaft that may stop you pushing the yoke in all the way .

Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Keep up the good work Jim! As long as you can still laugh at your "oversights" then you are on the right track.
Years ago I did a full restoration of a 63 Austin-Healey 3000, took me almost 5 years. When I finally started her up I saw that there was no deflection of the needle on the oil pressure gauge. I had so many other things on my mind that it didn't occur to me that there had been no oil put in the engine yet. Good thing I used a high quality assembly lube!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Keep laughing and going.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Thanks all, I was layin in bed and came up with a plan based on your sugestions. I remember the rubber piece that Seaves46 mentioned. I couldnt figure wat it was, because its not in any of the exploded diagrams Ive seen. I had to remove it to replace the govenor. So wheni slid it back on the shaft, its very possible that I did not slide it forward enough. Im going to check the yoke in the old tranny, thenpull tail shafts. Homade I do have an inch of shinny surface on the yoke that wont slide in far enough to cover. So another vote for the rubber. Ross thanks for the web site, very helpfull. OK guys Ill let ya know what I find. FTE is just great, where else could I find this kind of help? EDIT, it may take a day or so to get back to you all.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might get a laugh out of my ebay C4 experience too. I was converting a falcon with 351 cleveland and single rail 4 speed over to auto. Bought a "good driving" second hand C4, got it installed, filled it with tranny fluid to the correct level and went for a drive. I got maybe 500 yards when smoke started pouring out from under the car. On investigation I found there was fluid coming out of the breather on top of the tranny and landing on the exhaust. I spoke to the local tranny guy (good mate of mine) and his reply was "it's buggered". Did a full rebuild on it only to have the same thing happen. In the end...... the tranny had the wrong bloody dipstick in it and the fluid level was way too high.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy
You might get a laugh out of my ebay C4 experience too. I was converting a falcon with 351 cleveland and single rail 4 speed over to auto. Bought a "good driving" second hand C4, got it installed, filled it with tranny fluid to the correct level and went for a drive. I got maybe 500 yards when smoke started pouring out from under the car. On investigation I found there was fluid coming out of the breather on top of the tranny and landing on the exhaust. I spoke to the local tranny guy (good mate of mine) and his reply was "it's buggered". Did a full rebuild on it only to have the same thing happen. In the end...... the tranny had the wrong bloody dipstick in it and the fluid level was way too high.
Oh wow!, now that must have been frustrating, and it usualy turns out to be something so simple. Thanks for the smile.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Good tues. afternoon , after pulling the old tranny off the shelf and removing the tailshaft, Im very confident that the Information that Scott (Seaves46)posted is what is causing my problem. In the pics below you can see where the rubber is catching the yoke.pics 1&2 the old, pic3 the new. Scott (Seaves46) was nice enough to return my pm letting me know that its ok to discard the rubber piece, it was phased out by Ford anyway. So hear I go, next I pull the new tailshaft in place and remove the rubber.

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: My dailey C4 chuckle