6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

UPDATED Fuel Injector Top O-Rings/Seals ~ The Whole Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up!!!! I do have a question though. I tried to find just the O-rings alone and came up with a Victor Reinz part number GS33445 which was called the oil rail fuel injector O-rings. I ordered them for my 2003 6.0 and they arrived and they are way bigger than the nipple cup O-rings. Is there any way to order the O-rings without the nipple cups? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask. My nipple cups are ok but since I removed the O-rings to inspect them, I didn't know if it would be bad to put them back in. Any help one way or another would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM
creator
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MPlayer
Great write up!!!! I do have a question though. I tried to find just the O-rings alone and came up with a Victor Reinz part number GS33445 which was called the oil rail fuel injector O-rings. I ordered them for my 2003 6.0 and they arrived and they are way bigger than the nipple cup O-rings. Is there any way to order the O-rings without the nipple cups? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask. My nipple cups are ok but since I removed the O-rings to inspect them, I didn't know if it would be bad to put them back in. Any help one way or another would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
I'm not surprised the Victor Reinz were wrong. If soneone knows a correct VR part number please pist it. I'M doubtful VR has an official part.

I was anticipating this question sooner so I measured the O-rings and made a video. Given the proper specs I'm sure we can source them in Vitron. I'm on the road for the next couple weeks so I won't ve able to upload the video until I get home.

There are a couple ebay sellers selling just the o-rings.

The reason Bostech gives for not selling just the o-rings is that any wear/damage on your nipple cup, even if they look good, is going to lead to eventual failure and they want their fix to last.

I think one would be OK re-using the cups. Maybe better if they were given a light polish.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 AM
MPlayer
Senior User
Smile

I agree with what you are saying. I contacted Moonlight Diesel. They sell the o rings by themselves but I wanted to make sure they were the right ones before I ordered them. Hopefully someone else has tried them and maybe has some input. I've been trying for two weeks to get these o rings only to get the wrong ones even though they are listed as the correct ones. Hopefully the o rings at Moonlight will be the correct ones and hopefully good quality.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 PM
creator
Senior User
What happened to the edit button? I want to go back and put an update in the first post but alas.... No edit button?

Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
It seems to go away when a post becomes so old.

Sean

Old 07-20-2013, 02:01 AM
creator
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
It seems to go away when a post becomes so old.

Sean
That sucks! I like threads that have all of the good stuff at the top.
Oh Well

Old 07-20-2013, 02:33 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I just found this out myself when I wanted to edit one
of my old ones.

So how are things going with you?

Sean

Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 2,087 Posts
Originally Posted by creator
What happened to the edit button? I want to go back and put an update in the first post but alas.... No edit button?
I can edit if you have additional information you would like to add.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:10 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I wonder the necessity of changing the nipples. I found the Viton O-rings by themselves for <$20.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I wonder the necessity of changing the nipples. I found the Viton O-rings by themselves for <$20.
Do tell

Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Do tell
LOL--I can't tell or they won't be around long but I don't want to buy them if I need the nipples as well. I won't know that until I get the motor out and torn down. I may snooze and lose on this deal

Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Proamas
Freshman User
I have changed injector seals, stand pipes, dummy plugs, stc fitting, and today did an air test, and found a leaking injector still. Changed the acutual injector because its was bad. Still have oil leak sound at injector to nipple cup connection area. Also sounds like more than one now.

Could the nipple cup o rings be doing this. Please help. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out

Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
creator
Senior User
Originally Posted by Proamas
I have changed injector seals, stand pipes, dummy plugs, stc fitting, and today did an air test, and found a leaking injector still. Changed the acutual injector because its was bad. Still have oil leak sound at injector to nipple cup connection area. Also sounds like more than one now.

Could the nipple cup o rings be doing this. Please help. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out
Yes. If you are getting air leaks at the tops of your injectors you need to replace the top injector seal and the nipple cup seal or the injector seal will fail again in short order.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM
creator
Senior User
My replacement Bostech o-rings and seals actually failed on me.
I'm attributing this to my Blackwater rebuild engine that runs way too hot.
I have excess heat and acidity caused by excessive blow-by and a slight head gasket leak(eventhough gaskets were replaced twice)

I ordered some 90 durometer O-rings which should stand up much better to excessive heat and harsh conditions. Here is the video update:

Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Proamas
Freshman User
The injector that is leaking I just replaced today. Still has leak

Quick Reply: UPDATED Fuel Injector Top O-Rings/Seals ~ The Whole Story