6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Donaldson's PowerCore Filtration Technology

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Donaldson's PowerCore Filtration Technology

I've been wondering...why the heck doesn't Volant offer the Donaldson's PowerCore Filtration Technology for the 6.2L in the 2011 and 2012 SuperDuty?

This filter...IMHO...seems like the best option for clean air! What am I missing? Maybe just not enough demand?

Anybody have direct experience with the PowerCore air filters? I'd be interested in hearing all points...

Volant

biz

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too! I'm very interested in this topic.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
About a year ago i talked with owner of Volant about making some thing for SD 6.2 but never got any where. So we came up with using a donaldson univ filters on our AFE kits for 6.2L Raptor /f150 but have not had a chance to any more work with SD 6.2L as the bottom part of air box is diff for the 6.2 SD than the 150 / Raptor 6.2.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

fordmdb -- GREAT info...and thanks for sharing the pics!

So...my understanding of how the PowerCore works...is that the air comes in from the TOP (front)...rather than from the sides like most aftermarket filters.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SyoSx3WfXZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With that...I totally understand the "space" limitations. Still...I hope you pursue creating a unit for the SuperDuty 6.2L engines. I'd like to see a CLOSED box system...since the air would be utilized from the fender opening.

Other 6.2L SuperDuty owners...raise your hand...and be heard. Maybe we can get it into development and production.

biz

Old 01-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Fawcett
Junior User
I have this filtration system on my Walker Mower. Very nice!!! It goes through dust 24/7, this is a much needed system for what my mower does. I don't think our trucks see as much dust so a single stage filter seems to do the job. If we were driving through dust storms or the desert then they would be worth it, though it would cost a few hp and mpg's.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

That is a really good point. I hadn't thought about this system being to much...and actually causing MPG's.

I suppose...I will keep OEM initially...and then re-evaluate. However...fordmdb setup still looks trick!

biz

Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hadn't know about Donaldson's PowerCore Filtration Technology until this topic popped up on the forum. I'll be listening in on this, as I went with a AEM Dryflow filter for improved filtration/more economic than OEM filter. I hold filtration as a priority when making sure my truck lasts for years to come.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
The nice thing about these systems are that they are closed. But is does not look like they advertise any increase in performance, just better filtration. I don't like the idea of having to oil the filter either. The powercore filter has a life span of only 100,000 miles and do cost over $100, i guess that's only $10 for every 10,000 miles. About the same as the oem filter with better filtering. Still waiting for Mike to finish his cover for the Airaid system.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Ford used the Donaldson PowerCore filters from 2003-2010 on the diesels. Its a great filter but the price is high so they switched back to cheap pleated filters in 2011. The PowerCore filters hold a ton of dirt and in normal driving its no unheard of to go 100-150k between changes. The PowerCore filters we use at work on the Pete's average 500K and about 6 years between changes. The biggest mistake people make with air filters is removing them to often as this allows dust to enter the engine and causing wear which can be seen in a UOA. Air filters should only be changed when restriction is 10in/Hg over intial install. Air filters will filter better once they have attained a layer of film on them as the absolute particulate size it will capture is no smaller.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Which goes back to my point...of having a PowerCore filter but with a closed box.

For me...100k would be a lifetime filter.

biz

Old 02-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Alaska_Wolf
New User
I've been using the Volant CAI with the Donaldson's Powercore filter on my 2004 FX4 (Yellow and Carbon) since June 2008. In a word, I love it, that simple. After 4 years and 50,000 miles on the filter, my 5.4 breathes as easily as the day I installed it. The inside of the Volant box was dusty and grimy, just cleaned it today; but the CAI tube leaving the filter was absolutely pristine, no fine dust built up, nothing. It looked exactly the same inside the CAI tube as the day I installed it. Driving through the volcanic ash and glacial silt of Alaska, and now the fine dusts of the So. Idaho deserts, I've never had a problem with the filter, perfect performance. I took it off today, cleaned out the CAI box and ran a shop vac over the filter to clean it out a bit...I don't think I'll be switching back to a different filter again. Plus, unlike some filters I won't mention, there's no nasty required oil treatments to mess up your expensive MAF sensor!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
BMWBig6
Senior User
So everything else being equal (tubing, air box, etc.), does the Donaldson PowerCore sound different (at idle, part-throttle, WOT) compared with a "conventional" cone-style filter because it's sucking air from the tip (vs. from all sides)? Or is intake sound more a function of airbox or tubing design?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
So everything else being equal (tubing, air box, etc.), does the Donaldson PowerCore sound different (at idle, part-throttle, WOT) compared with a "conventional" cone-style filter because it's sucking air from the tip (vs. from all sides)? Or is intake sound more a function of airbox or tubing design?
Usually...it's more the function of the airbox and tubing design. That is why the OEM has a series of weird chambers in the tubing to the throttle body...to hide or muffle the sound.

With the Donaldson PowerCore...I'd want a closed airbox...IMHO.

biz

Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
With the Donaldson PowerCore...I'd want a closed airbox...IMHO.
Do you consider either the Volant or AFE with lid a "closed airbox?"

Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Do you consider either the Volant or AFE with lid a "closed airbox?"

Yes for the Volant. Not familiar with AFE...so uncertain.

biz

Quick Reply: Donaldson's PowerCore Filtration Technology