Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When it rains it pours , first the rear calipers now the trans.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 AM
cw_mi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it rains it pours , first the rear calipers now the trans.

Can’t believe it , I toasted the trans this morning. The truck has only got 103k miles on it. Sometimes it seems like this thing truck is in the shop more than we drive it. I actually feel sick.. what a way to start the weekend. I’m not one for buying or owning new cars but I’m seriously starting to rethink that. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM
46/71 Hybrid
Junior User
How'd it happen?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM
cw_mi
Senior User
I had just got on the freeway and traffic was sort of bottled up, just rolling along at about 35 mph and it felt like the truck downshift then slammed back into gear. I've got a jacked up rear caliper that needs to be replaced (was going to happen this weekend) so my first thought was it locked then let go (I was a little foggy this morning). I was only about 3 miles from home so I was able to limp it home. It did it the whole way back , I could also see the trans temp had jumped from 60 degrees to 155. Also from a stop the shift rpms where getting higher and higher.
Got home and pulled the dipstick and even though the fluid was still clear it had a burnt smell to it. The trans fluild also wasn't as red as it was before.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang that sucks. It's still cheaper to fix than a new truck.
What's the service history on the trans ? You the first owner?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM
cw_mi
Senior User
I'm the second owner , the original owner maintained the truck flawlessly. When I purchased it he handed me a file that had the entire history including receipts. When I was shopping for an Ex, I wanted one that was clean , had all the updates for towing done and had low miles. This truck was it other than one thing.. it was a tow vehicle it's whole life. That was the gamble I took and I knew it going it. I just didn't think the trans would go with how well maintained the truck was. I've put 10k miles on it since I bought it ,and had the trans fluid and filter changed when I picked it up. Every oil change I would check the trans fluid and it smelled good and was nice and red. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.
I keep telling myself this is still less than a new vehicle and for the most part the things that have had to be replaced in the 10k miles I've had it are just normal wear items (front wheel bearing, fuell pump, rear calipers) , was going to do the springs this summer but damn this trans is going to be quite a hit. We don't use the X all that much so it would be a waste of money having something new sitting in the drive but dumping money into this thing is starting to change my mind a little.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cw_mi
Can’t believe it , I toasted the trans this morning. The truck has only got 103k miles on it. Sometimes it seems like this thing truck is in the shop more than we drive it. I actually feel sick.. what a way to start the weekend. I’m not one for buying or owning new cars but I’m seriously starting to rethink that. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
what does office office mean?

He might have maintained it but pulled a 10k lb trailer through the mountains quite often.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM
cw_mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
I don't know.. I didn't even add that. Didn't add the smiley thing either.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

He might have maintained it but pulled a 10k lb trailer through the mountains quite often.
I don't know.. I didn't even add that. Didn't add the smiley thing either.
It most often happens when you pre-type a post onto a Word doc, then cut and paste it to post here.

Stewart

Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM
cw_mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
It most often happens when you pre-type a post onto a Word doc, then cut and paste it to post here.

Stewart
That's how it happened then, I typed it in an email then copy/pasted it.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm the second owner , the original owner maintained the truck flawlessly. When I purchased it he handed me a file that had the entire history including receipts. When I was shopping for an Ex, I wanted one that was clean , had all the updates for towing done and had low miles. This truck was it other than one thing.. it was a tow vehicle it's whole life. That was the gamble I took and I knew it going it. I just didn't think the trans would go with how well maintained the truck was. I've put 10k miles on it since I bought it ,and had the trans fluid and filter changed when I picked it up. Every oil change I would check the trans fluid and it smelled good and was nice and red. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.
I keep telling myself this is still less than a new vehicle and for the most part the things that have had to be replaced in the 10k miles I've had it are just normal wear items (front wheel bearing, fuell pump, rear calipers) , was going to do the springs this summer but damn this trans is going to be quite a hit. We don't use the X all that much so it would be a waste of money having something new sitting in the drive but dumping money into this thing is starting to change my mind a little.
What fluid was in it ?

Make sure to find a reputable transmission shop.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like a BTS or John Woods is in ur future?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Where are you located?? I have a couple of great trans guys in the southeastern Michigan area.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 PM
cw_mi
Senior User
He probably did, but I was willing to take that gamble because the truck was in such great shape. By the time I bought this one I had looked at so many that were just basket cases. I figured if I had to put a trans in it so be it. Although I didn't think it would be so soon.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM
cw_mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
What fluid was in it ?

Make sure to find a reputable transmission shop.
Whatever the dealership uses, they did the fluid and filter change
Some friends own a shop, I know they do race car stuff, and diesel truck stuff so I'm sure they can do this. Plus they are Ford guys, well as far as their tow vehicles go.

Originally Posted by robbragiel
Sounds like a BTS or John Woods is in ur future?
I don't have $5k to spend on a badass trans., wish I did. I spent the long dollar on my old Cummins Ram with a DTT trans.. best money spent.

Originally Posted by carbon coupe
Where are you located?? I have a couple of great trans guys in the southeastern Michigan area.
I'm in Saint Clair Shores, my friends own a place called Driveline Performance. They will most likely be the ones doing it. Open to suggestions though, PM me.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM
brunnesa
Junior User
Blumenthals in Oklahoma City will rebuild a 4R100 for $2500 installed. I highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: When it rains it pours , first the rear calipers now the trans.