1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Sudden TC failure??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
RGTFanatic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden TC failure??

First off I want to thank all the FTE members for all the help I've gotten in the past. You all have kept my '02 Expedition running strong for a LONG time now.

I decided to become a member today because of a new problem. My torque converter has apparently failed.

My specs:
'02 Expi XLT-5.4 AWD
168,000 mi.
last fluid/filter change @160,000

My truck has run excellently up until this incident today. I only have a pending p0136 code that recently came up (exhaust manifold leak due to a broken stud). Driving to work went fine this morning. About 20 miles with half being on the interstate. At lunch I drove to get food. When I pulled into the burger place I noticed a very loud whine coming from the transmission area. The noise went away when I put it in park and returned when in gear. The engine idled as normal. I noticed the MIL was on and that the OD "off" light was flashing. I drove the truck back home at highway speeds. The converter "felt" like it was locking up above 50mph, but I couldn't tell for sure. All up/down shifts were smooth. Within 5 miles of the house, the noise decreased by half but was still there. The last few upshifts from 1-2 were pretty hard.

I immediately scanned for codes and got a p1744-"TCC - Excessive Slip Detected During Full TCC Engagement". With help, I got under the truck while it was in gear. The noise is DEFINITELY coming from behind the TC inspection cover. The cover also has a light coating of new tranny fluid on it.

My question is, can a TC experience catastrophic failure without any prior warning? I've never heard of it happening before.

second, is there another underlying problem that would have caused the TC to fail?

I did have to tow my daughters "lead-sled" from Chicago to Los Angeles in July of last year. I had extreme difficulty climbing some of the mountains in New Mexico. I pulled into a shop in Albuquerque and had the trans serviced (and cooled down..LOL). I haven't had another problem until today.

I'm also wondering how difficult a task I'm in for in changing this TC. Are there any specific things I should know/change/check while I'm in the process? I'm assuming this will be much like any other TC, but since this is my first on an AWD truck with an A4ODE (I think?) transmission, I'd appreciate any thoughts, opinions or input..............

Thanks in advance
Ryc

Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 PM
alloro
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic
My question is, can a TC experience catastrophic failure without any prior warning? I've never heard of it happening before.

second, is there another underlying problem that would have caused the TC to fail?
Yes the TC can experience catastrophic failure. It is after all a mechanical part and is subject to wear and tear.

Did you happen to check the fluid level? Sometimes the rear tranny seal leaks and the tranny fluid leaks into the transfer case. This will lower the tranny level while causing the T-case level to rise without the benefit of seeing any fluid on the ground as a warning.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM
RGTFanatic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Yes the TC can experience catastrophic failure. It is after all a mechanical part and is subject to wear and tear.

Did you happen to check the fluid level? Sometimes the rear tranny seal leaks and the tranny fluid leaks into the transfer case. This will lower the tranny level while causing the T-case level to rise without the benefit of seeing any fluid on the ground as a warning.
Thanks for the reply man!!

Last week (Wednesday?) the level was only just under full....1/4 quart maybe?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 AM
alloro
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic
Last week (Wednesday?) the level was only just under full....1/4 quart maybe?
Too bad, it would've made for an easy fix.